Bringing shine back to my rims!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
A little Ajax and a scrub brush would brighten up them white letters real good too.

They have so few miles on them......that's the original blue protector for shipping..I leave it because it makes the tires brand new.still.I think they are five years old. Still got blue letters.

Ain't warshin it off for nothin!...the truck is for sale. ;)

edward Kish

Reaction score
First Name
eddie
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I just polished a set of aluminum mags I bought used this week. Started with 1000 grit, then 1500, then steel wool, then finished it with Mother's aluminum polish and a Mother's power ball buffing tool. Mine weren't quite as rough as yours, but I did the whole job in about two hours. That's $50 in elbow grease, not $2000. They aren't perfect, but I've got a laundry list on this truck, so it'll do for now.

One rim I started with 400 grit, but found it wasn't necessary given how clean they were. go as low in grit as you need to-they key is multiple sand coats only jumping up a bit at a time. sanding with 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000 in a row will go way faster than just starting with 1500 on a heavily oxidized wheel.

Final Product:

You must be registered for see images attach

Rim after wet sanding:

After Power Washing:

Lil'm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
1979 1980
Truck Model
K10 shorts
Engine Size
I just polished a set of aluminum mags I bought used this week. Started with 1000 grit, then 1500, then steel wool, then finished it with Mother's aluminum polish and a Mother's power ball buffing tool. Mine weren't quite as rough as yours, but I did the whole job in about two hours. That's $50 in elbow grease, not $2000. They aren't perfect, but I've got a laundry list on this truck, so it'll do for now.

One rim I started with 400 grit, but found it wasn't necessary given how clean they were. go as low in grit as you need to-they key is multiple sand coats only jumping up a bit at a time. sanding with 400, 600, 1000, 1500, 2000 in a row will go way faster than just starting with 1500 on a heavily oxidized wheel.

Final Product:

Rim after wet sanding:

After Power Washing:
Well done. Spray some clear on them for protection.

The88

Mhmm
Reaction score
First Name
ThatGuy
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Another option.....

Alumabrite acid wash them.

Hand held media blaster with baking soda( or even plastic bead blast them in a cabinet would be **** as well but lets think cheap).

Spot sand what you need to after a blast from coarse to fine.

Polish with some Extra cut rubbing compound with cotton pads. Followed by some machine glaze on a Powerball. That should get you in the ballpark of "God Damn those wheels look good!"

trukman1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5 Blazer
Engine Size
5.7 L (350)
I'm in a similar boat...will these methods remove the existing clear coat? Or is there another method needed to remove the clear coat prior to polishing? The factory rims have tiny "ridges" as in machine marks. Any way to remove clear coat, polish and retain those fine marks?
Not trying to hijack thread just questions brought up by your post.
Thanks for any help in this area.

DavieL

Reaction score
First Name
Davie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
5.3 LS with Holley EFI
I did mime myself, striped clear coat with paint stripper and sanded started with 400 grit and worked up to 2000 grit and then polishing compound and then Mothers Metal Polish.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I did mime myself, striped clear coat with paint stripper and sanded started with 400 grit and worked up to 2000 grit and then polishing compound and then Mothers Metal Polish.

That looks really good.

I don't wanna get that Shiney I think, but you guys definitely have given me some good ideas.

I'll get back to it soon and start with 1 wheel and see what I can do

oldretiredafguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
1988, 1988, 1991, 1983
Truck Model
GMC V-Jimmy, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC Suburban 4WD, GMC-2500 CrewCab
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350

Doggone, that is one clean wheel. Well done@!

Craig Nedrow

NADAR UNDER THE RADAR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
1973 (have two), 1985
Truck Model
K10, K20, C20
Engine Size
350, 454, 6.2 Detroit
Use purple power, spray it on, a little scrubbing and rinse off. It is NOT recommended as it will stain the aluminum, but I did it to mine, and they were much worse then those, and came clean. Don't leave it on too long.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
That looks really good.

I don't wanna get that Shiney I think, but you guys definitely have given me some good ideas.

I'll get back to it soon and start with 1 wheel and see what I can do

YOU CAN DO IT!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linemanjl