Brake Lights and Turn signals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Moyers

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Brake lights went out and don't flash when hazards are activated but the bulbs glow when I have my headlights on. Turn signals also don't flash and the signals and the indicator stay lit. Anybody find a solution to this? I've read a lot of the stuff but can't really find what I'm looking for.

Also the front left marker doesn't light up at all. Maybe that bulb is causing the rest to not flash?

86 C10 Silverado 305

Cuba

Likes to work alone in her woman cave
Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Is this an "all of a sudden" thing?

Mike Moyers

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Cuba, kind of. Owner before me had a kill switch installed under dash and it was linked to an actual switch. Tried cutting it out and just running a fuse through it so it wouldn't burn anything out. But I didn't have high enough fuse to keep the volts out and it just burned through them. So I rewired the kill switch and ever since then my problem has occurred.

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Ohhhh.... ok. Well.... the kill switch probably just cut a circuit out. All else should be fused by the fuse block anyway. How intricate was the kill switch? Was it just an actual switch, like a toggle... or was it a module type?

Mike Moyers

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Wasn't too intricate. I think it cut into the ignition wire and was just on a metal prong with the electrical switch add on crimped in between the two wires. I had a picture but deleted it a while back. Sorry if this isn't making a whole lot of sense I'm not good with electrical stuff at all.

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Yeah. .. OK. . The wire was a purple one? Or yellow?

Mike Moyers

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Red one tucked in back with tape on it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Hmmm....sounds like a main ignition switch feed then. I'll have to look up schematics. .. in the meantime, we have an electrical "savant" in the house.... @Honky Kong jr :)
Let him chime in

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
For ***** & giggles... did you verify all the fuses being good in the fuse block?

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Ok, I found the schematics. ..just trying to go through them.

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Ok, from what I'm seeing, there's only 2 main red wires that go into that fuse box. 1 that feeds the Hazards and the other that feeds the Ign & ECM fuses.

ohhhhh...wait... just saw your pic. Those red wires aren't the original ones. What color is the other end that they connect to?

Im starting to over think this. Im wrking on 2 hrs sleep. This toggle should have nothing to do with the hazard & brake light issue. I was also going to help you eliminate that kill switch & im combining the 2.

Let me step back. You see the silver can looking thing in the fuse block. That's called a flasher. THis allows either the turn signals or hazards to flash off & on. I think you should have 2 flashers. The 1 in front is for turn signal flashing,, there should also be 1 in the rear of the fuse block or top left, this is for hazzard flashing... If I can remember correctly. You can switch the 2 flashers around to see if anything changes.

Last edited:

Mike Moyers

Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Just went and looked and it's all red. Runs right through firewall and then looks like it goes down into a harness.

Cuba

Reaction score
First Name
Cuba
Truck Year
Truck Model
S10 Blazer
Engine Size
4.3ltr TBI
Ok... that's an odd kill switch. Eventually we can figure out where it goes into. I suppose we can focus on what you came here for 1st, which is the lights issue, right? Cuz otherwise, the truck does start up &run, correct?

You may want to go over my last post cuz I edited it a ton. I apologize I'm not on the ball tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michaelmarine53