Brake conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boothby1952

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K15
Engine Size
After a long cold winter where working in an unheated shop kinda sucks, I'm getting back in the saddle and continuing this build. Wanting to convert from drum to disc on a 78 k15. Looked at numerous kits ranging from $400 to $1000+. Would like some tried and true recommendations as to available kits.

Nonstop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
Truck Model
K2500
Engine Size
Rear discs? My favorite and cost effective upgrade was changing back to drums. Yes, may not be the answer you are looking for, but it is my honest opinion. Spent too much time trying combinations of calipers and masters, then trying to get a good parking brake. Drums solved all the concerns.

Reactions: WFO

WFO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Rear discs? My favorite and cost effective upgrade was changing back to drums. Yes, may not be the answer you are looking for, but it is my honest opinion. Spent too much time trying combinations of calipers and masters, then trying to get a good parking brake. Drums solved all the concerns.
Plus, the front brakes do most of the work anyway.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
the most reasonable upgrade to your setup may be larger drums. but if you have open face wheels you may want disc. if you have closed, drums. if you have a good climate, a proper drum brake job and proper system will be infinitely adequate. but if you wannnnnnnt rear disc you can always swap a newer axle. this would make it quicker and you would have an ebrake that likely is sufficient for holding weight if needed.

Id just say, do your brakes need more than simple spruce up/wheel cylinders?

then if you have a axle ratio youre thinking about changing to, or posi, it may just be easier to combine your wishes into a different axle. My f150 has 3.08 open with brakes that need just about every component to the backing plate and upstream RABS bs.

I am going to just take a big step right over all that and find a different axle .its only a ford 8.8

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MenDeeZee