Brackets and mounts on a 5.7 Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have a 97 Vortec 5.7 at the machine shop at the moment. When I got this motor, it was missing the intake, water pump and all accessories. I'm going serpentine with it (as it was), but am unsure what all I am missing. I saved a great pic from Frankenchevy's awesome build as a cheat sheet, but still have questions.

I have bought the 2 brackets (AC/PS and Alt), the pulley that sits inside the alt and the tensioner that sits below the alt.

What I need to know is -

1) are there any spacers, brackets, etc that the pulley or tensioner mounts to?
2) Not sure if an new PS pump would come with a pulley either.
3) I also need to find a harmonic dampener. Not sure what the diff is between the 6" and 8" dampeners (saw it once but dont recall). Would like to find one well etched with timing marks.

TIA for any help.

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
You will need the pulleys for the power steering and water pump. Your specific requirements will be based on needing AC or not. The stock balancer is 8" in those years. You can get an aftermarket type with the degree markers etched right in, or you can get a timing tape that will apply to a stock balancer.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I have AC. I've seen used pulleys on ebay that look like they have a plate or something attached to them (spacer?) which is what threw me. Rock sells new OE ones and they dont have these add-ons.

THANKS.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I have AC. I've seen used pulleys on ebay that look like they have a plate or something attached to them (spacer?) which is what threw me. Rock sells new OE ones and they dont have these add-ons.

THANKS.

From the factory if there was no AC, there was just a simple idle pulley on the bracket and it used a shorter belt. But there is also the big ugly aftermarket idler pulley that takes the place of the AC compressor. I'm not sure why it's available... probably just to cash in on folks that delete the AC and don't realize that GM had already designed a much cleaner setup.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Also, in my case the a/c delete pulley didn’t plane out with the other pulleys anyhow. It sat ~1/4 behind everything else. I ended up running a new compressor as a “delete” pulley.

Pay attention to your straight edge when your driving the p/s pulley on. It’ll align with the crank and a/c pulley before bottoming out.

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the heads up!

So does the pulley thats to the inside of the alt have any kind of bracket that it mounts to? Crazy - I dont even know what bolts or hardware is used - the yards have tons of these trucks but the drive trains and their accessories are always picked over / missing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1998_K1500_Sub