Bought a kid that isn't mine a 1976 Nova...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Yup.
@Maxwellvis has a buddy Brian.
Brians home life has not been the best, but he is a good kid.
He currently drives a VTec Honda Civic and is not real fond of it.

The three of us were going to the junkyard yesterday to look for some stuff.
I had no agenda other than finding gold in what ever car I could find.
Max was after a set of seats from a Hyundai Tiburon that he will fit into the '73 VW he now owns.
Brian wanted a front fender for said Honda as he was backed into the other day and it was bent all to hell.

We went in and paid the entry fee and the boys noticed the Nova sitting in the complete cars for sale row just outside of the doors.
You must be registered for see images attach

We all oogled it and poured over the whole car, there is some rust and little things that need to be taken care of over time.
But that does not stop it from running and driving.

Pop the hood and there is a greasy but very original 250 straight six backed up by a 3 speed auto (I suspect a TH350).
This car is 100% original and has not been molested at all.
It came with AC but the compressor was long ago removed, that is the biggest change to it that we had found.

It is a Concours level trim package (think Silverado).
Inside there are bucket seats and a console shifter for the transmission.

The yards asking price was a cool $1999.
The boys were trying to figure out how to find that money.
I told them they are going to let you haggle the price down just like I did on a $200 set of wheels and tires I bought there last year for $120.
So Brian offered $1200 and that was rejected and a counter of $1300 was made.
That was accepted and now I have another car in my driveway until Brian is able to get the title transferred to his name.
He will pay me back when his Honda get sold after the insurance companies do their things due to that lady that backed into him.
Brian in his new to him hotrod.

We got the car home and it ran and drove just fine all the 5 miles it had to go.
The kids then went up to the auto parts store that Max works at and bought the car all new belts, hoses, and other tune up parts.

After all that was installed, they washed all the grime off the car and this is what we bought...

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
@Catbox Atta boy Peter. Good on ya. Hopefully the kid will think about this for a long time and make it better for him. Makes me feel good and I'll bet you do, too!!!

He kept on thanking me the rest of the day.
I just told him to make me proud by taking care of it and doing things right to it.
He will be at my house quite a bit working on it with Max.

I am sure that someday it will be getting a mild small block and an overdrive transmission.
The console shifter makes it easy to install a ratchet shifter if he should go that route.

I told him to make it produce the right image of attitude before he worries about the drivetrain.
Cool looks is easier to attain than a zillion dollar engine and transmission.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
He kept on thanking me the rest of the day.
I just told him to make me proud by taking care of it and doing things right to it.
He will be at my house quite a bit working on it with Max.

I am sure that someday it will be getting a mild small block and an overdrive transmission.
The console shifter makes it easy to install a ratchet shifter if he should go that route.

I told him to make it produce the right image of attitude before he worries about the drivetrain.
Cool looks is easier to attain than a zillion dollar engine and transmission.

Turbo's are cheap and those little 250's LOVE them :burnout:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
Yup.
@Maxwellvis has a buddy Brian.
Brians home life has not been the best, but he is a good kid.
He currently drives a VTec Honda Civic and is not real fond of it.

The three of us were going to the junkyard yesterday to look for some stuff.
I had no agenda other than finding gold in what ever car I could find.
Max was after a set of seats from a Hyundai Tiburon that he will fit into the '73 VW he now owns.
Brian wanted a front fender for said Honda as he was backed into the other day and it was bent all to hell.

We went in and paid the entry fee and the boys noticed the Nova sitting in the complete cars for sale row just outside of the doors.

We all oogled it and poured over the whole car, there is some rust and little things that need to be taken care of over time.
But that does not stop it from running and driving.

Pop the hood and there is a greasy but very original 250 straight six backed up by a 3 speed auto (I suspect a TH350).
This car is 100% original and has not been molested at all.
It came with AC but the compressor was long ago removed, that is the biggest change to it that we had found.

It is a Concours level trim package (think Silverado).
Inside there are bucket seats and a console shifter for the transmission.

The yards asking price was a cool $1999.
The boys were trying to figure out how to find that money.
I told them they are going to let you haggle the price down just like I did on a $200 set of wheels and tires I bought there last year for $120.
So Brian offered $1200 and that was rejected and a counter of $1300 was made.
That was accepted and now I have another car in my driveway until Brian is able to get the title transferred to his name.
He will pay me back when his Honda get sold after the insurance companies do their things due to that lady that backed into him.
Brian in his new to him hotrod.

We got the car home and it ran and drove just fine all the 5 miles it had to go.
The kids then went up to the auto parts store that Max works at and bought the car all new belts, hoses, and other tune up parts.

After all that was installed, they washed all the grime off the car and this is what we bought...

Heck of a score! Nice teamwork!

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
The way the title of this thread gets shortened on the "Recent Threads" block makes me do a double take every time.

"Bought a kid that isn't mine...."

:happy175:

I saw that, too. Did a double take and then curiosity got the better of me...lol...

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
Engine Size
Turbo's are cheap and those little 250's LOVE them :burnout:

Yes they do! I haven't driven a turbocharged 250 but have driven a turbocharged 2.5 Boxer in my Forester. I can only imagine the torque plateau of a 250, you wouldn't even know it didn't have extra cubic inches, and it would still look somewhat stock. Somewhat being the keyword there. I would totally rock a turbocharged 250. If he decides to go the route of a v8, I am willing to buy the 250.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Yes they do! I haven't driven a turbocharged 250 but have driven a turbocharged 2.5 Boxer in my Forester. I can only imagine the torque plateau of a 250, you wouldn't even know it didn't have extra cubic inches, and it would still look somewhat stock. Somewhat being the keyword there. I would totally rock a turbocharged 250. If he decides to go the route of a v8, I am willing to buy the 250.

Its not exactly the 250... but it's close. 250hp and 400 ft-lbs in that nova would be a blast!
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

The best part is I'm eventually gonna get to see this thing in person. He's definitely gonna have a bunch of squarebodies around Oregon and Washington just randomly honking at him while he's driving around after this thread and the ones on the local groups. :driver:

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
First mod didn't take long.
Brian had a brand new Cherry Bomb that he was going to put under his Honda.
Now it is all installed under the Nova in place of the giant fun noise killing chain store muffler.
No longer does it sound like a vacuum cleaner.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

78C10BigTen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 BIG TEN
Engine Size
Congrats brian! We had a nova concourse just like that in our yard at work, sat there for years! It was silver with a red interior, a 250 and a 3 spd just like his. Then one day the crusher called it up to the geat boneyard in the sky. I peeled off a few small goodies before it happened and those now reside in @bucket 's SS wagon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dhatch84