Bought a 1986 K10, truck died while driving today.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Andrews

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350 SB
Hey folks, just bought my first square body truck and joined the forum. I'm 17 and also have a 1978 Corvette that I have worked on quite a bit so I have a decent understanding of 350 small blocks and decent idea of how to diagnose issues.

Today as I was driving the truck, it died on me. After that it would crank but wouldn't start. After cranking it a few times it started to crank very slowly. I tested the battery and have full power to the battery. Just over 12 volts. I checked the carb and its squirting fine I think. Sounds like it might be the starter and distributor?

Any help?

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Just over 12 v is not a fully charged battery, so charge the battery. Check for 12 to the distributor with the key in the on position. If you have 12v there pull a plug wire and check for spark. Post results.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
Did you test for spark?

Anything below 12.6v is technically low.

Edit: Richard beat me to it.

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
You checked for fuel, so next check for spark. The ignition modules are known weak points. You can pull a plug and ground it while cranking the engine.

My 83 did the same thing while I was rebuilding it. Always started fine, then one day nothing. Ignition module was dead. It is inside the distributor. I ended up buying an inline spark tester. They plug in between the plug wire and the plug and make it much easier to see spark , especially if you are working by yourself. Nice, bright flashing light if you have spark. Only about $7 at Oreillys.

And welcome.I

Edit, and I was slow too!

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
You checked for fuel, so next check for spark. The ignition modules are known weak points. You can pull a plug and ground it while cranking the engine.

My 83 did the same thing while I was rebuilding it. Always started fine, then one day nothing. Ignition module was dead. It is inside the distributor. I ended up buying an inline spark tester. They plug in between the plug wire and the plug and make it much easier to see spark , especially if you are working by yourself. Nice, bright flashing light if you have spark. Only about $7 at Oreillys.

And welcome.I

Edit, and I was slow too!

Don't ground the plug wire hold it about 1/4 inch from something metal on the engine. Whatever is convienent.

80BrownK10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey folks, just bought my first square body truck and joined the forum. I'm 17 and also have a 1978 Corvette that I have worked on quite a bit so I have a decent understanding of 350 small blocks and decent idea of how to diagnose issues.

Today as I was driving the truck, it died on me. After that it would crank but wouldn't start. After cranking it a few times it started to crank very slowly. I tested the battery and have full power to the battery. Just over 12 volts. I checked the carb and its squirting fine I think. Sounds like it might be the starter and distributor?

Any help?
Just over 12 volts means the battery is about dead. Charge it up. Are you sure your alternator is charging?

Dmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Don't ground the plug wire hold it about 1/4 inch from something metal on the engine. Whatever is convienent.

Thanks for clarifying my post. I meant to say ground the plug while in the plug wire boot once pulled.

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Is it spitting and sputtering? Or is it just straight cranking, no fire at all? Could still be fuel, but check for spark

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Thanks for clarifying my post. I meant to say ground the plug while in the plug wire boot once pulled.
You said it right. I read it wrong

If you haven't checked for spark yet here's an easy way. Clamp a spare plug gapped to about .080 into a jumper cable clamp the other end to ground pull a plug wire off a plug that is visible from the drivers door. Put it on the spark plug clamped in the jumper cable and crank while watching for spark

Last edited:

BryanC

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
While performing the test list above, take a moment to check the positive cable from the battery to the starter solenoid. I had an eyelet rust apart at the starter motor on my 73 C3500 and had to get towed home. Before the cable failed, the truck was harder to start when the engine was hot and I wasn't always getting 12V at the HEI distributor.

Newcman1

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevy K10
Engine Size
I know this is an old thread but was wondering if you found the fix?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xXmutantXx