Body bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dieseladdiction

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey guys, new to the forum. I picked up a 1979 chevy k10 4x4 and I'm replacing the body bushings. I've done this before on my 1977 I used to have but I don't remember this, anyways I'm trying to remove the cab bolts closest to the bed and one side is loose and just spins and the other side is really tight. My question is, is the nut suppose to be welded and it just broke? If so how can I go about removing it? Thanks

Dieseladdiction

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok just a update, I got one side out but on one side the nut that is suppose to be welded in on one side is broke, so any suggestions how to get it out?

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I can't say for sure about the earlier series, but the 81-87 mounts are just like the front. The bolts are screwed into those flimsy flat squares that are encapsulated within the body cavities. If they twist free or won't budge, it might be best to cut your losses and just cut the bolts. Then try to shove them and the square nut into the cab support and out of the way. When it's time to reassemble, you'll have to cut an opening to drop in new nuts and get a wrench on them. Just my thoughts, someone else may have a way better plan. Here is the setup for the 80's series:

You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• mounts.jpg
    mounts.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 452

Dieseladdiction

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok yea thats what I was thinking needed to happen, I got new bolts anyways, just wasn't sure how to get the nut in there, but I guess like you said I'll just have to cut a slot in it, I don't think there is any other way around it. Thanks for the quick response!

chengny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jerry
Truck Year
Truck Model
K3500
Engine Size
350/5.7
I think if you look behind the seat - down at the bottom - you'll see a raised section of floor pan. I think that the "captured" nuts are under that.

Drill a couple of inspection holes to determine exact location. When you find where the bolts come up (from the underside), use a big step drill to bore a nice neat access hole directly over the bolts - in the top of the tunnel.

Make it large enough to allow a socket of the proper size (for the new nuts) to pass through. Torque the nut through the hole, spray the raw steel with undercoating and close the access hole with a rubber plug.

Dieseladdiction

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ok yea that's what I'm going to try to do

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
yep that's what I do. locate that nut and cut a hole from inside on the top. once that is done then you can spray it with your choice of penetrating oil. I don't think you can put a socket on it because it is rectangular. I jamb a pry bar between the nut and body and have someone hold it in place then go under and unscrew. then replace with a standard nut, locking nut of course. then patch the hole in the body with a removable patch. highdesertranger

Dieseladdiction

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks guys, I'll let y'all know how it goes

NOPHO84K30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
justin
Truck Year
1984 silverado k30
Truck Model
K30 dana 60 corp14 ff
Engine Size
454 sm465 np205
I had the same problem i measured from seat belt bolt underneath to the mount bolt then went inside measured the same distance up and back. I used a one inch hole bit landed right on top of it. Then wedge a pry bar and impact it off. .....my front mount bolts where so rotted they were less than half the size they shoulda been

Attachments

• 1397186100092.jpg
    1397186100092.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 209

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
when i did this one my truck,i drill two little hole on either side of the nut(one one each side) at a angle. then i spot welded basically where the flanges for the nuts was and recaptured the nut in place.then i was able to take the body mount bolt out with a impact.worked fine to put it back in .welding filled the holes and i put antisieze on the new bolts going back in.i was coating the underneath with chassis saver anyway.

farmerchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Didn't want to drill my freshly painted interior floor anyway,lol

Dieseladdiction

Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I had the same problem i measured from seat belt bolt underneath to the mount bolt then went inside measured the same distance up and back. I used a one inch hole bit landed right on top of it. Then wedge a pry bar and impact it off. .....my front mount bolts where so rotted they were less than half the size they shoulda been

This is exactly what I did

Qwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
5.7/T56
This is my current job Im doing on my truck and was having the same issues, spinning bolts. So I did a SEARCH and this thread came up.

I HATE that I have to cut the floor, but my bushings are shot and they need replaced. :whymewhyme:

MadOgre

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
NA
Truck Year
NA
Truck Model
NA
Engine Size
NA
I think if you look behind the seat - down at the bottom - you'll see a raised section of floor pan. I think that the "captured" nuts are under that.

Drill a couple of inspection holes to determine exact location. When you find where the bolts come up (from the underside), use a big step drill to bore a nice neat access hole directly over the bolts - in the top of the tunnel.

Make it large enough to allow a socket of the proper size (for the new nuts) to pass through. Torque the nut through the hole, spray the raw steel with undercoating and close the access hole with a rubber plug.

This is the way. Gives you easy future access to those bolts! :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody