Blue Smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Here's for starters: This is what I'd need, correct? (I'm using NAPA because its 5 minutes away).

Valve Cover Gasket Set — http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=FPGVS50088R_0147251230

Valve Stem Oil Seal Set (Intake) — http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=FPGSS72527_0147537366

Valve Stem Oil Seal Set (Exhaust) — http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=FPGSS72526_0164720902

Valve Spring Compressor — http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=BK_7769189_0006393020
Yes.
just keep an eye on the rocker nuts, they should not spin freely, if they do, replace them, they will back off in a matter of minutes if they are bad.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
First thing I would do is pull the valve covers and make sure the oil drain holes in the heads are not restricted.

When you takenthe rockers off, get a piece of cardboard, the length and width of the valve cover. Lay the rockers and their fulcrums out in the exaxct order that you take them out on thatbcardboard, away from your work area, so they dont get mixed up.

I understand the idea here, but it's really not needed. I always just toss them all in a box and I've never had a problem with premature wear. Well, except one rocker, but that was due to another issue.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
That's not much smoke at all, dont even know if I would worry about that till it got worse.

foamypirate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jake (Mr. Wilson)
Truck Year
Truck Model
El Camino, baby!
Engine Size
5.3L/4L60E
That's not much smoke at all, dont even know if I would worry about that till it got worse.

Hell, my 305 smoked like that on startup for over 2 years. Never got worse, never lead to any issues.

I'm with c4, I wouldn't even worry about it.

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4

So how bad should it get before I care? What's the down side of letting this get worse?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
If it takes 10 seconds for it to clear out it starts getting annoying. To me at least. Worst thing is more carbon on your plugs.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Oh yeah, that's minor. Probably a couple bad valve seals. That's not much more that a quief of smoke, I wouldn't be concerned. Chances are that is more related to age and seals getting dry instead of wearing out. I think I'd run some Marvels Myserty Oil, for my next 2 oil changes of 5000 miles each, and you just might get the seals to soften up a bit, and that little bit go away, but if not, I sitll wouldn't sweat it. Very minor for a well broke in motor.

Shawn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
350; 700R4
Oh yeah, that's minor. Probably a couple bad valve seals. That's not much more that a quief of smoke, I wouldn't be concerned. Chances are that is more related to age and seals getting dry instead of wearing out. I think I'd run some Marvels Myserty Oil, for my next 2 oil changes of 5000 miles each, and you just might get the seals to soften up a bit, and that little bit go away, but if not, I sitll wouldn't sweat it. Very minor for a well broke in motor.

What about Seafoam? I bought some after hearing people swear by it. Thinking about putting some in my crankcase and some in my fuel tank.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
What about Seafoam? I bought some after hearing people swear by it. Thinking about putting some in my crankcase and some in my fuel tank.

I hear the same thing, never pulled the trigger though.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
mine smoked on start up but my engine burned oil and i tried lucas oil treatment and it made a difference instead of 1000 miles to 1 quart it is 2000 miles to a quart and doesn't smoke on start up any more

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I don't know that Seafoam is a seal softner. I know it's a good cleaner, and you might not want the motor clean at this point. Rock with what you have at this point. If you have a little sludge or varnish on your valve stems for example, clean all that off, now you have a bigger gap to let oil get by.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
I've also heard good stuff about Lucas Oil Treatment. It's probably another Marvels type product. I know I had a noisy lifter in an old neglected motor once and a guy told me to try Marvels. I subbed a quart during an oil change. It didn't work, so I thought. It was probably about the 4th longer trip I made in the car, about 25 miles or so, meaning close to 200 miles later I noticed the lifter got quieter but still not right. I gave up on the stuff. But it gradually got better and better and just one day I realized, hey that lifter isn't ticking anymore, so I'd say it took about 1000 miles maybe even closer to 1500, but it did fix that lifter.

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I had a bad experience with injector cleaner tearing up my spark plugs. I have since been hesitant to try any other type of treatment. Just a little dry gas additive for the boat every few months.

jake wells

Can i be me?
Reaction score
First Name
jake
Truck Year
Truck Model
custom deluxe 10
Engine Size
I had a bad experience with injector cleaner tearing up my spark plugs. I have since been hesitant to try any other type of treatment. Just a little dry gas additive for the boat every few months.

get a can of berryman B12 chemtool or berryman total system cleaner and that stuff works and im not bullshitting you either GO LOOK at the reviews for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
3dbello