Block question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big10-1978

Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big10
Engine Size
Hey guys! I bought a 383 block a few years ago and I’m finally ready to start building it. Upon further inspection I noticed a broke piece in a hole that is underneath where the mechanical fuel pump goes. What is the circled pieces function (1st pic with orange block) and if there is a whole all the way through this….what could be the potential problem? My pic is the unpainted block pic.

Thanks, Derrick
You must be registered for see images attach

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
I can't recall ever seeing that. But regardless, it should be easy to see if it goes through. Take a flashlight or a ziptie and feel around.

If it does go through, just get a the proper size soft plug, like the freeze plugs on the side of the block and a little sealer and pound it in. If you wanted to you could put sealer or epoxy on top of the plug as well.

Big10-1978

Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big10
Engine Size
It’s definitely a broken piece and I’m not sure what either bolts into the front or some dowel pin goes into the bottom. I haven’t seen any assembled engines that use either the treaded hole or the opening on the bottom though so I’m not sure. I’m familiar with mostly building modular ford engines.

sidschev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
sidney
Truck Year
Truck Model
c1500
Engine Size
just drilled to deep for threads. no biggy...

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
It’s definitely a broken piece and I’m not sure what either bolts into the front or some dowel pin goes into the bottom. I haven’t seen any assembled engines that use either the treaded hole or the opening on the bottom though so I’m not sure. I’m familiar with mostly building modular ford engines.
That upper bolt hole should have a bolt in it as it goes through to the fuel pump push rod. You can thread in a longer bolt when changing the fuel pump to hold the pushrod while swapping. These holes could have been used with the heavy truck mounting, which usually uses a horse shoe style mount on the front of the block and a special bellhousing with mounts to the frame. Instead of the end of the trans and sides of the block.

I believe that hole doesn't even touch the pan rail, so it's fine. Unfortunate that it's like that, but no real problem. Maybe slightly more weak than normal? But not a critical spot.

No need to mess with unless looking for cosmetics.

Big10-1978

Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Truck Year
Truck Model
Big10
Engine Size
Thanks guys! Gonna put in forged crank/rods/pistons soon! Looking to make 450 NA then throw a turbo on it!

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay that shot is from the bottom and the front I want to see the side to see if your block is drilled for a fuel pump pushrod. Not all are.

RustyPile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Truck Year
1983 GMC
Truck Model
Engine Size
350 SBC
Over the years, Chevrolet has looked for ways to lighten the engine blocks. Various areas are now thinner as a result. That hole in the pan rail serves no purpose after the block is fully machined and the engine is assembled. The threaded hole that "empties" into it is used to attach various accessory brackets. One use that comes to mind is engine mount brackets for pre '58 passenger cars..

as PrairieDrifter mentioned, No need for any attention at all.

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
I would suggest, without expert knowledge, this is casting flash which needs to be cleared from the opening.
Use a Dremel or a round file or better yet a carbide end mill and clean that mess up.

At the very least, if this was supposed to be blocked off, and the threads were never supposed to be exposed to fluids or another passageway, you will need thread sealer on whatever bolt crosses the oil/water threshold for this port and the hardware which it intersects on both sides of the casting issue.

Epoxy to the missing metal barrier, may be a solution, with a release agent on the threads of the internal bolt areas and careful repair strategy. I would verify with an expert if this casting is defective before trying to repair it.

Good thing you caught it before you bolted everything up and found a cross-leak contamination or a casting flash issue.

Make certain there is supposed to be metal between this passage, or NOT, and plan to correct whatever is wrong before you move forward.

If the previous builder used the wrong length bolt, (which is very common), the missing metal may be a defect in the block and NOT a simple repair.

Last edited:

RanchWelder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
--------
Truck Year
Truck Model
Blazer
Engine Size
355ci
Accidentally re-posted...