Blend door on chevy suburban

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
hey everyone, I'm kinda out of ideas on my suburban heater.

I got my arm in there to the blend door actuator, and I can feel it turning, when I turn the heat/cold know of the dash. No clicks that should be there, and I would hear something if the actuator was turning but the blend door wasn't moving, correct?

It's got a brand new thermostat the end engine is coming up to temp.

It's got a brand new heater core.

What else is there? The hoses going into and out of the heater core feel warm. If the water pump were bad, it would be overheating, right?

I'm out of ideas. Any of you think of something I could be missing?

Aaron

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The heater hoses just feel warm, not hot? Are the heater hoses anywhere near as hot as the radiator hoses? Is the heat blowing out of the dash anywhere near as warm as the heater hoses?

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
What blend door did you check? There are 2. Does cold side seem to work?

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
The heater hoses just feel warm, not hot? Are the heater hoses anywhere near as hot as the radiator hoses? Is the heat blowing out of the dash anywhere near as warm as the heater hoses?

Just warm, not hot. When I checked, I was running a little below the 210 mark on my dash gauge, so it did seem like they should be hotter than that. That's what got me to wondering if my water pump wasn't puming hard enough through the hoses, but then, it seems like I should be running too hot, right?

What blend door did you check? There are 2. Does cold side seem to work?

I checked the one inside the center of the dash; the one that's real hard to get to, where you remove the glove compartment and go in towards the center of the dash. When you say the cold side, the AC works, if that's what you mean. I stuck my finger on the front of the actuator, and could feel the little white plastic part that sticks out of it turning when I changed the dash dial.

Aaron

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
Just warm, not hot. When I checked, I was running a little below the 210 mark on my dash gauge, so it did seem like they should be hotter than that. That's what got me to wondering if my water pump wasn't puming hard enough through the hoses, but then, it seems like I should be running too hot, right?

I checked the one inside the center of the dash; the one that's real hard to get to, where you remove the glove compartment and go in towards the center of the dash. When you say the cold side, the AC works, if that's what you mean. I stuck my finger on the front of the actuator, and could feel the little white plastic part that sticks out of it turning when I changed the dash dial.

Aaron
The other one is by your right leg. driver side. It's easy to see on my 99 Burban. I'm not exactly what that one does. But it might change from hot to cold. I remember replacing the hard one a long time ago, I think it controlled defrost to vents maybe.

AaronW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Truck Year
Truck Model
V3500
Engine Size
The other one is by your right leg. driver side. It's easy to see on my 99 Burban. I'm not exactly what that one does. But it might change from hot to cold. I remember replacing the hard one a long time ago, I think it controlled defrost to vents maybe.
Yeah, I've seen youtube videos on that one too. I think that's the "mode door" actuator for changing between defrost, to the floor, and so on.

Aaron

rusted nuts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeffrey
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
4cly diesel
Could be outlet from water pump to heater hose full of rust or at return hose and block or intake..

Attachments

• cat in winnder 001.JPG
    cat in winnder 001.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 33

squaredeal91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Greg bush
Truck Year
1991 SB
Truck Model
K30
Engine Size
5.9 Cummins 12 valve
just because that little thing turns don't mean it's turning it on the other end. Sometimes they just strip out. might just have to take it apart and see. Seems like you've checked most everything else.

618Syndicate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Duramax

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

Aaron

It doesn't matter too much what the factory gauge says. Do the radiator hoses get significantly hotter than the heater hoses? Does the heat out the dash feel somewhat similar to the temp of the heater hoses?

The answers to those two questions will tell you what needs investigating.