Blazer top as camper shell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I have no clue. But suburban and blazer tailgates are different.
How so? I always thought they were identical? I'm no expert on the matter, I am not saying you're wrong, just legitimately curious as to how they're different. From what I can tell after having owned both they seem the same to me, though I've never tried to use them interchangeably.

Why would you want to try and make a blazer top from a pickup shell

When blazer tops are in every junkyard?

Blazer tops in every junkyard? Man I can't remember the last time I saw any square with a single usable part on it in a junkyard around here. Must be nice in the south lol.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Lol

Don't kid yourself. Life in occupied territory ain't all it's cracked up to be.
Livin under yankee oppression, look around man!

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
How so? I always thought they were identical? I'm no expert on the matter, I am not saying you're wrong, just legitimately curious as to how they're different. From what I can tell after having owned both they seem the same to me, though I've never tried to use them interchangeably.

Blazer tops in every junkyard? Man I can't remember the last time I saw any square with a single usable part on it in a junkyard around here. Must be nice in the south lol.

The Burb/K5 tailgates are different in nearly every way. While the design and function is nearly the same, there's only a few smaller parts that interchange. Things like the release handle, linkage pivot, window crank/key switch and one or two other items. But the tailgate is a different size and shape, the glass is a different shape, the hinges are different, along with the tension spring setup, latches, window regulator, window motor, inner access panel, weatherstrip, etc.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
The Burb/K5 tailgates are different in nearly every way. While the design and function is nearly the same, there's only a few smaller parts that interchange. Things like the release handle, linkage pivot, window crank/key switch and one or two other items. But the tailgate is a different size and shape, the glass is a different shape, the hinges are different, along with the tension spring setup, latches, window regulator, window motor, inner access panel, weatherstrip, etc.

Especially if you have the barn door Burb's :33:

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350

The mounting points are in different locations. I believe the latch mechanisms may be slightly different as well.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
If you see the two setting side by side, it all becomes plainly obvious.

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI

Thank you. My tailgate is the one part of my truck that may end up needing to be replaced (not even that bad I'm just sick of operating on it). I never once thought about them being different. If it was just small differences I'm sure I could have made it work, but you just saved me the hassle of potentially picking up one from a blazer only to find out it wouldn't work!

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Thank you. My tailgate is the one part of my truck that may end up needing to be replaced (not even that bad I'm just sick of operating on it). I never once thought about them being different. If it was just small differences I'm sure I could have made it work, but you just saved me the hassle of potentially picking up one from a blazer only to find out it wouldn't work!

Either tailgate is hard to find, so if you do happen to come across a good K5 gate for cheap that is not a big deal to obtain, knab it if you can! I'm sure a fellow enthusiast with a K5 would be happy you did.

I grab good ones when I can, but sadly they are slim pickens these days.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg