Blazer top as camper shell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Why would you want to try and make a blazer top from a pickup shell

When blazer tops are in every junkyard?

I thought the goal was the opposite, make a truck topper out of a K5 top. That's why I suggested to just get a truck topper.

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I’ve been confused from the get, but that’s normal for me... lol

Big Chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C35
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach
I was also under the impression he was trying to make a cap for a truck. It would have to be the extra-shortbox version i believe. This is sort of what I was envisioning.

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Yeah, there's not a lot of detail in the first post. It's like a slightly longer version of a haiku. Looks like we need some actual detail of what's trying to be accomplished, to eliminate some of the vagueness .

rrent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverzdo
Engine Size
Sorry for the weirdness- I think it all started with my typo of “was” vs. the correct “as” in the title.
My goal is to get a “camper shell/topper” that matches up with the cab of my short wide bed ‘82. I would love to find a nice vintage shell from back in the day, but don’t want something that (in my opinion) doesn’t fit.
My though was ti make one from the removable roof from a ‘74 or newer Blazer.

On an unrelated note: I do not know how to correct an error in the title of a post.

rrent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverzdo
Engine Size
If only it was in central Texas.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I'm lost on what someone is trying to do here. Make a camper out of a blazer or do something with a blazer top to make it into a camper top? In my opinion unless you find a chalet cap (which I have seen for sell somewhere but can't remember where) the better solution would be just to get a small camper trailer like one of the old Coleman pop up trailers, or make a diy low footpriint (and lightweight) camper trailer, like a teardrop trailer. You have to keep in mind that the K5's have a shorter wheelbase and because of that they can tow but you don't really want to tow anything like a large camper that can have sway or something heavy. If you search craigslist you can find a lot of blazer tops around central Texas. I picked up a spare one for 150 about 120 miles from your area. If it wasn't for the fact that I am going to use the spare on my Jimmy and turn the original one into a Targa style top I would give it to you to make space in the garage but at the very least I will try to keep a lookout on a spare one for you and send you a link. Craigslist is your friend there and they come up all the time.

Here are a few in the San Antonio area. Not too terribly far from Round Rock---

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pts/d/1979-k5-blazer-hard-top/6714021207.html

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ptd/d/76-thru-91-chevy-gmc-k5/6712034031.html (too expensive in my book)

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/pts/d/chevrolet-gmc-chevytruck-parts/6674585290.html (looks like you could make them an offer and lowball it since its been on there a couple of months)...

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
Sorry for the weirdness- I think it all started with my typo of “was” vs. the correct “as” in the title.
My goal is to get a “camper shell/topper” that matches up with the cab of my short wide bed ‘82. I would love to find a nice vintage shell from back in the day, but don’t want something that (in my opinion) doesn’t fit.
My though was ti make one from the removable roof from a ‘74 or newer Blazer.

On an unrelated note: I do not know how to correct an error in the title of a post.

Sorry missed your response. I think the main problem you will have is that the blazer top is slightly shorter than even the shortest shortbed trucks. I might be incorrect there but I am pretty sure that is the case. I measured my spare out in the ship and it is 72 inches along the bedrall but the way it mounts to the cab is flat and would not wrap up to the cab like a camper shell does.

rrent

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ronnie
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverzdo
Engine Size
It’s looking (sounding) like the fabrication to make it work might not be worth waiting for the right topper to show up, within driving distance, on Craigslist. Thanks for the input.

rpcraft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
LS 6.0 364 CID
I'm going to tell you it definitely is not worth it. Too much fab and too heavy. I bet a regular topper will be 2/3's less weight or more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL