binding problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chunkyrzr

Reaction score
First Name
carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
Okay i have a binding issue sounds like it is coming from the center of truck. I went and jacked the rear end off the ground and spun tires forward. They went forward freely with no problems. Went to turn them backwards by hand and can barely get them to move. Thought it might be back brakes so i removed the drive shaft and tried again. Everything spins freely. My question is do you thing it is the drive shaft binding, transfer case or transmission. I know it has to be one of the three but which one. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue before and what it was. Also the truck has a 6 inch suspension lift and a 3 inch body lift. Thanks to all of you

chunkyrzr

Reaction score
First Name
carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
400 turbo trans with 208 transfer case. I am getting a binding issue after i drive it 20 miles to work. when i pull into the parking lot and idling into parking spot i get a clunk clunk give it gas and it goes away. Its a weird issue that i have never had or heard of before. it also does it going backwards at idle but only when hot and only at idle, give it gas and it goes away. So today i lifted the truck up turned the rear wheels by hand and can barely get them to move backward, pulled shaft and now they turn freely. i am at a loss as to what this is

Last edited:

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Auto trans will naturally be hard to turn in one direction. Is there a posi or locker in the rear? That's what it is sounding like to me. If it only happens when turning I would say it is a posi binding.

chunkyrzr

Reaction score
First Name
carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
thanks for your help one more question can universals bind after they get hot and cause this. No posi does it going forward at idle and backwards at idle both straight parking spots no turning. this really has me stumped. It just started last week and i can't figure it out.

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yes if the u-joints haven't been greased they can bind but usually they just grind the needle bearings into dust and have a lot of slop in them. Is it possible you have auto hubs and they're locked in instead of out?

chunkyrzr

Reaction score
First Name
carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
they are manual hubs and free. i am going to replace the universals and the yoke going into the transfer case. If it is still there or fixed i will reply back. Again thanks for the information

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
my father's 10 bolt had this same issue in his 98 C1500. The spider gears blew out and the axles were floating around inside the tubes. Nothing held them in on the way to the shop!!!

crazy4offroad

Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
my father's 10 bolt had this same issue in his 98 C1500. The spider gears blew out and the axles were floating around inside the tubes. Nothing held them in on the way to the shop!!!

Good call, but his front has the hubs unlocked. Although this could be the problem in the rear. Might want to pull the rear cover and check the crosspin.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
our 91 k2500 has a problem in the rear end where every once in awile(1 every 2 miles or so) where one of the spiders in the rear jumps a tooth, cause one of the spider spacers Is just gone. But it does it at any speed. Usually higher speeds is less often.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size

If the spiders were "gone" and "nothing was holding the axles in" the truck wouldn't move. The carrier would just spin on the shafts.

Driver4r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10,c20
Engine Size
355/th350/np203, 454/th350/ff-rear
If the spiders were "gone" and "nothing was holding the axles in" the truck wouldn't move. The carrier would just spin on the shafts.

unless he is referring to the axle retaining clips.

chunkyrzr

Reaction score
First Name
carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
i won't have the drive shaft done until this weekend. If that doesn't fix it i will check the spider gears in the rear end. Thanks

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size

it was the spider gears and the c clips. the c clips went first when he went to back up that morning. On the way to the shop (probably because the axles were floating around) the spider gears exploded. the driveshaft would turn in gear but the truck didn't go anywhere. The tow truck was a good sight to see.

chunkyrzr

Reaction score
First Name
carl
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
replaced universals and that wasn't it. Took cover off of rear diff everything looks fine. It still does it but only at idle. If you give it gas it goes away. Next thing will be to go between drive and reverse well on jack stands and let it idle and see what happens. Maybe the back brakes are hanging up Who knows. Just thought i would let everyone know i still don't know what this is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87POPS