Best Set-up for plowing, Dream rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MtBraun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I think the weight benefit is exaggerated. In my opinion there is no need for a ton of extra weight, whether it be in a big block, 1 ton, or a bunch of extra weight on the truck. Plow blades float so I'm not sure what you need the weight for. There is no amount of snow you are going to push that will weigh more than the truck and plow combined. There's a lot of guys up here who push snow with jeeps and compact trucks and do just fine.

If I had to do it over again I'd like to have a swb 1/2 ton behind my plow. The shorter wheelbase is nice for residences and tight corners.

SDJunkMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
There's no commercial plowers up here that have anything but a stock height truck for plowing.

I have never seen a lifted commercial plow truck either. I would think that the lift would throw off the geometry of the plow.

twinturbo427

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban
Engine Size
I just drove a rental Rav4 2600 miles through Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, and Washington state. Even though the rental was a turd, the advances in technology made the wintery-mix driving much easier. My 1978 3/4 ton burb on bias ply snow tires that I had back in the 90s in Michigan seems like a Conastoga wagon by comparison.
Miss that Sub sometimes. LoL

4WDKC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kacy
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
I just drove a rental Rav4 2600 miles through Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, Montana, and Washington state. Even though the rental was a turd, the advances in technology made the wintery-mix driving much easier. My 1978 3/4 ton burb on bias ply snow tires that I had back in the 90s in Michigan seems like a Conastoga wagon by comparison.
Miss that Sub sometimes. LoL

Right! I had a 96 s10 4x4 push button that was great for playing int he snow and driving on icy roads, that abs was **** but in 4hi to stop just downshift and apply brake. Engine kept tires from locking and sliding. Tried to drive my 87 around the block to test it and it was like a pig on ice.

75Monza

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1980, 1982, 1985
Truck Model
K30, K20, K20
Engine Size
454, 383, 350
The only reason I prefer a 1 ton (suspension at least) for plowing is the weight of the plow makes the springs sag after awhile. One of the reasons I never put a plow on my 99 dodge cummins was there was so much weight up front already and I rotated through suspension parts at least every 4 years as it was. All depends on what type of snow your area has. Mine has anywhere from light, fluffy snow to nasty heavy wet snow, so I have to have a heavy plow and usually chains on all 4 to make it up and down my hilly road without the weight of the snow I'm pushing making the truck go sideways and loose traction.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rossivey