best sand blaster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
If it's airborne, you're going to breathe the ****. So does the wet blasting keep 100% of the stuff from flying around? Myself, I'd probably say both. Even if your media is weight down, the crap you're blasting off, like rust and paint chips that probably have led in it etc, could be airborne. Better safe than sorry. Or maybe at least a dusk mask with wet, and a respirator when doing dry.

True. Im thinking on trying the wet sandblasting with the use of pressure washer. Northern Tool sells attachment to use with pressure washer. I just dont know how effective it is compared to dry.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
I was wondering myself if the wet blasting would reduce the dust and I'm thinking it probably does. But that's no reason to not take every precaution when it comes to your health. A decent mask with replaceable cartridges can be had for around $25, less if you get one that's just for organic vapors, but it's nice to have one that will also trap paint fumes. Why breathe that **** when you don't have to?

Kind of a sore subject for me, I've had asthma my entire life and have to live with 70% of normal lung capacity.

Last edited:

robert8096

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
True. Im thinking on trying the wet sandblasting with the use of pressure washer. Northern Tool sells attachment to use with pressure washer. I just dont know how effective it is compared to dry.

Is it just me or is there something strange about this process when you are doing metal. Why would you want to wet down a bare metal panel? Would this not cause rust to form rather quickly? I can see this on fiberglass, wood, aluminum etc but not steel.

I use one of those 90 lbs pressure blasters from Harbor Freight. I use glass beads, alum oxide and walnuts shells. Never use sand. Air compressor is an eight horse dual stage. ALWAYS WEAR A GOOD OSHA APPROVED RESPIRATOR! Get one of those blasting hoods to cover your whole head, wear good gloves. Recommend long sleeve shirt and pants. The blaster can eat thru your skin real quick.

In my cabinet I use Black Diamond media from the local Tractor supply.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
But that's no reason to not take every precaution when it comes to your health. A decent mask with replaceable cartridges can be had for around $25,

Exactly !!!

I know 2 different paint and body guys who died of lung disease in their early 50's and had lung and breathing problems starting in their early to mid 40's. 1 was a smoker and he had heart issues along with his poor breathing function to complicate the matter. Also with lung disease it can and will also lead to heart complications anyway. 2 different guys, 1 in Cali, and 1 in Ark seeing different Dr's, and both Dr's blamed their lung and heart issues on their occupations. Breating the sanding dust from paint, rust, body fillers, and paint fumes tore their bronchi up in their lungs. Lung function is one of those things that when it goes bad it can't be reversed.

Like people with COPD, (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease), once you've got it, you've got it there's no reversing it. Kinda like dying a slow miserable death or slow suffocation.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Is it just me or is there something strange about this process when you are doing metal. Why would you want to wet down a bare metal panel? Would this not cause rust to form rather quickly? I can see this on fiberglass, wood, aluminum etc but not steel.

My air compressor isnt big enough for regular sandblaster. Cant go wrong when the attachment is $60 from Northern Tool. Just need a working pressure washer.

MrMarty51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Martin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Exactly !!!

I know 2 different paint and body guys who died of lung disease in their early 50's and had lung and breathing problems starting in their early to mid 40's. 1 was a smoker and he had heart issues along with his poor breathing function to complicate the matter. Also with lung disease it can and will also lead to heart complications anyway. 2 different guys, 1 in Cali, and 1 in Ark seeing different Dr's, and both Dr's blamed their lung and heart issues on their occupations. Breating the sanding dust from paint, rust, body fillers, and paint fumes tore their bronchi up in their lungs. Lung function is one of those things that when it goes bad it can't be reversed.

Like people with COPD, (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease), once you've got it, you've got it there's no reversing it. Kinda like dying a slow miserable death or slow suffocation.

I know an oil patch worker that died of " Silicosis ", complications from breathing silicone sand dust.
I have rust embedded in My sinuses, whoom could ever guess what other bodily parts is being affected from breathing dust from cleaning steel before welding, not counting breathing grinding disk residue. :nutkick: that`ll probably feel better in a few years. :happy175::grd:

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10/LM7 5.3/4L60e/np208/3.73/32"
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Thanks for the info. I've got a block that I want to get the paint off. Having never owned one or used one, this post is very informative. I've used the die grinder and dremel tool with different bits and it just wasn't cutting it as fast as I wanted, so I thought about a sand blaster.

Ended up throwing on some Citristrip and it seems to be loosening up the paint well. I'll leave it on over night and pressure wash it tomorrow.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/CitriStrip-32-fl-oz-Paste-Multi-Surface-Paint-Remover/50417794

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
an update on the citristrip. I put it on Thursday evening. I didn't get to it until today. It broke up the paint pretty good. I took the cheap pressure washer I have to it and there's still some there. I'll slap another coat on it and hose it off before it dries (tomorrow). Otherwise, I'll take the die grinder and brush to it while the paint is still pliable.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Thanks for the info. I've got a block that I want to get the paint off. Having never owned one or used one, this post is very informative. I've used the die grinder and dremel tool with different bits and it just wasn't cutting it as fast as I wanted, so I thought about a sand blaster.

Ended up throwing on some Citristrip and it seems to be loosening up the paint well. I'll leave it on over night and pressure wash it tomorrow.

http://www.lowes.com/pd/CitriStrip-32-fl-oz-Paste-Multi-Surface-Paint-Remover/50417794

Are you talking an engine block? Just do yourself a favor and call the local machine shop and see what they charge for vat cleaning. Usually about $25. It'll get all the paint off as well as any junk built up in the cooling jackets and most of the oiling gallies internally. Especially if you don't know the block. I've seen guys skimp before and come to find out, the previous owner had spun a couple bearings in the lower end. All those shavings and babbit made their way into the oil gallies. Put a new crank, bearings, rings etc in the block, it was trashed with a rod knock with less than 200 miles.

Camar068

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
10 yrs Air Force
Yes it's on a 5.3 running block but out of the truck. Going to paint it while waiting for funds to install.

Anyway, the Citristrip did great. Left it on there for 18 hours, pressure washed what I could with the cheap pressure washer. Then took a die grinder with a heavy brush on it. 5 minutes later it's almost spotless. Alls left is heavy paint in the corners. I'll take the dremel to it in a few, then slap some Citristrip on the other side and repeat.

All the precautions and the mess kinda backed me off getting a sand blaster.

Thanks For All the info

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado