Best flowing muffler that'll quiet down my motor?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
So , some of you know, i have my 79' c10 with a 502ci bbc, it has long tube headers, with just 2 feet of 3" pipe after them so the o2 gets accurate readings.
Its fun, i like it, its violent, it'll tear your head off, but its LOUD as ****, and apparently people the next road over can hear it. Its like going to a monster truck show at an indoor stadium... deafeningly loud.
I need to quiet it down a little. Our local law enforcement would likely pull me over to tell me how cool the truck is, but that i need quieter pipes, and rightfully so, i dont want to become a nuicance to everyone.

My state has no emissions, no smog, none of that lame-o stuff.
So as a result, my motor has no restrictions.
Its just a holley efi, alternator, water pump, long tubes, and shorty pipes that release pure bald eagles. If i could, i'd delete everything restrictive lol.

Im wondering who here has some advice regarding mufflers, i obviously have to accept that if it's gonna be quieted down, it will have to be somewhat restrictive.

I personally like the sound of magniflow 40's, but i think they have mixed reviews regarding Flow and restriction.

Any advice? Thanks guys.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is the EFI the Sniper?

dsteelejr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
1973, 1980
Truck Model
Cheyenne super C20 camper special, Sierra K25
Engine Size
350, 454
MagnaFlows. Just got some put on my ‘73 C20 350. I don’t know what kind of black magic is going on inside the MagnaFlows, but they are fairly quiet at idle and light throttle so you can cruise around town without being too obnoxious, but when you open it up it’s about as loud as straight pipe.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
MagnaFlows. Just got some put on my ‘73 C20 350. I don’t know what kind of black magic is going on inside the MagnaFlows, but they are fairly quiet at idle and light throttle so you can cruise around town without being too obnoxious, but when you open it up it’s about as loud as straight pipe.

I got one on my burb, and ive had them on several other rigs.
i ran straight Pipes on the burb for a day out of necessity because the old muffler exploded internally and blocked flow completely, while i was welding together new exhaust i did open pipes. It was incredibly noisey also, once i put my beloved magnaflow on, its like you say, fairly quiet at cruising, noisey at WOT, i also have no cat on my burb, which multiplies the noise. Its got that "old school hot rod" tone at cruising speeds (4th), i love it.

Its acceptably loud, the c10 is just ear rape for everyone that hears it when i go by

tpripps

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tyler
Truck Year
Truck Model
C30
Engine Size
Anybody have an opinion on the Hushpower Pros? I'm looking at them for my C30 454

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350
Long Glass Packs!

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
Agreed. I have them on my 87 R10 (dual in/single out like the factory) and true duals with shorty headers on my 82 k5.
Nice and mellow until you get on it.

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I have been quite happy with the sound of the Jones FloPack single chambers I put under our truck.
I don't have a video of it with the headers on it, just stock exhaust manifolds so that won't really give you a feel.

But now that the headers are on the 454, it sounds just splendid with its tiny little, but bigger than stock "RV" camshaft. My engine is pretty tame compared to the 502 you are working with, but I am sure it would sound good with them on there. I did angle cut the end of the exhaust pipe to get rid of the annoying "pop" sound a square cut pipe makes.

Plus they are fairly inexpensive at $26 each from Summit for the 3" ones I have.

As for the actual flow, I have no clue what CFM they will pass.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I put a 3 inch Flopack on my Suburban as well, it just didn't sound right to me as the Sub used a 40 series Flowmaster for 15 years before that. We pulled it off and put in a new Super 40 shortly after this video.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Jones Exhaust Flow Pack Mufflers

Whether space is an issue, or you just prefer the simple design, style, and sound—Jones Exhaust Flow Pack mufflers pack a solid punch. These 16-gauge aluminized steel mufflers have a 13 in. shell, are 5 in. around, and 19.5 in. overall for easy placement. They feature strong MIG-welded construction, internal baffling, and Flow Deflector technology to produce extra scavenging and power. Jones Exhaust Flow Pack mufflers provide the best growl for your bucks.
You must be registered for see images attach

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Engine masters had a muffler shootout on the dyno with a bunch of different mufflers. The chambered mufflers(basically flowmaster knockoff) were pretty good sound reduction and didn't have much power reduction. I'd personally go for the Cherry Bomb Pro's. Can't go wrong for $44/ea for 3" in/out on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0018GVUEK/

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
So , some of you know, i have my 79' c10 with a 502ci bbc, it has long tube headers, with just 2 feet of 3" pipe after them so the o2 gets accurate readings.
Its fun, i like it, its violent, it'll tear your head off, but its LOUD as ****, and apparently people the next road over can hear it. Its like going to a monster truck show at an indoor stadium... deafeningly loud.
I need to quiet it down a little. Our local law enforcement would likely pull me over to tell me how cool the truck is, but that i need quieter pipes, and rightfully so, i dont want to become a nuicance to everyone.

My state has no emissions, no smog, none of that lame-o stuff.
So as a result, my motor has no restrictions.
Its just a holley efi, alternator, water pump, long tubes, and shorty pipes that release pure bald eagles. If i could, i'd delete everything restrictive lol.

Im wondering who here has some advice regarding mufflers, i obviously have to accept that if it's gonna be quieted down, it will have to be somewhat restrictive.

I personally like the sound of magniflow 40's, but i think they have mixed reviews regarding Flow and restriction.

Any advice? Thanks guys.
If you want quiet and inexpensive I'd recommend walker soundFX get the larger ones, one of the 20 - 28" ones. Larger does not mean more restrictive it means more sound deadening.

I'm sure you already know this but don't forget your tail pipe can really make a difference in sound. Turning them out under the truck, or out the sides before the rear tires will be the loudest in the cab, behind rear tires is quieter, and straight out the back will put most of the sound behind you.

Hopefully something there will be of help

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
In re-reading I should add I have no idea what the flow characteristics of the the Walker soundFX muffler is like. I sort of missed that part of the question.

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
Engine Size
350, 502
Well i appreciate all the information here, i didnt even ask for mufflers lighter on the wallet, and you guys provided anyways, nice!
I guess i will just have to make a choice, but it appears like walker, jones, and the std flowmaster are the best choices here that'll tame some of the roar.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising