Best fitting big block headers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
1500 Sierra Classic suburban
Engine Size
Hey guys question here, what are the best fitting big block headers? It's for a 85 chevy suburban 2wd. It's for my brothers truck so I'm trying to help him locate a set that fit without having to be hammered to hell and back. We arnt picky on them being ceramic coated but we do want full length. His truck has a set on it now that are full length but we don't know the brand because previous owner put them on it. There are no markings or stampings. The reason for changing is because one of the primary tubes is rusted completely through in a few different spots. The collector is also very thin from them rusting away. So if anybody can help it would be greatly appreciated.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
My K30 big block truck has Hedmans on it and they fit great, but it's a 4x4 though. My '84 C10 has a big block with headers, I used Hedman headers meant for a Nova because they were new and I had them. Turns out they fit wonderful, just had to slightly notch the left engine mount bracket and carefully bend the lower arm on the column shifter linkage. Easy peasy.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I know where there is a set for 70-72 chevelle but I don't think they will clear the floor boards. I was thinking a set of those summit brand headers. I think they are like $130. I was reading and there's only a few reviews on them but what had me wondering is why they where all perfect reviews that all sounded the same. Just seems fishy. I did also read that summit brand headers are just repackaged flow tech headers. I've known flow techs to not fit worth a crap as I used sets of them before. My other brother has a set of hedman headers he bought for his small block suburban and he had to dent up the primary's for them to clear the crossmember. Kinda pointless to run headers if you smash the tubes halfway in but ain't my truck so lol. I have a set of hooker super comps on my small block suburban and they fit perfect with no problems at all. Just trying to stay away from buying a set of $450 headers.

hirschdalechevy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
k-30
Engine Size
I have always ran doug thorley's , and they are the **** in my book , but they are not cheap.

Anyway I did'nt want to spend that much for header's for the off road blazer I am putting together so I went with heddman elite , coated header's , 360.00.They are super thick , (like thorley's) and they fit great , (did'nt have to dent or cut anything). I was impressed for a lower dollar header.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Alright thanks, I'll have to look into those and see if it's something he likes. It is his choice after all. He was talking about getting those summit brand headers cause they are cheap. They could be good but they could also be bad.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I've got the summit brand on the truck and they probably would've been fine if I had run regular head bolts, but I put in head studs and subsequently had to clearance the flange on the headers for the studs.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
His is all stock except for a edlebrock carb. He was looking into rebuilding it but it will have stock head bolts. What about clearance on frame and linkage? Everything clear good? If you wouldn't mind would you be willing to take some pictures for me? Would be greatly appreciated.

highdesertrange

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
k30
Engine Size
I second doug Thorley's. although I don't know if they are made anymore. great fit, great quality. I have had zero problems. highdesertranger

BADAZ chevy guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'm probably going to catch crap for this, but OH WELL!!!
IMO, the BEST fitting headers for ANY engine are the ones you can run WITHOUT gaskets and they don't leak!
I look for headers that have a solid "Heavy" cross band where they bolt on. Then I file and work the pipes to where they fit... I mean REALY fit.
I've run headers an several motors 283's 350's 454's and once I got them fitted right I've never had a problem with any of them.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
His is all stock except for a edlebrock carb. He was looking into rebuilding it but it will have stock head bolts. What about clearance on frame and linkage? Everything clear good? If you wouldn't mind would you be willing to take some pictures for me? Would be greatly appreciated.

I'll see if I can find some pictures, but everything clears nicely... If I can't find pics, then I probably won't be able to get any until this weekend.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
I would greatly appreciate it. I don't mind waiting as he is still debating pulling the motor for a rebuild

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
I'm keeping an eye on this. Mine has stock steel tubular manifolds with bellows and they have a few leaks. I'm gonna eventually have to put something else on.

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I would greatly appreciate it. I don't mind waiting as he is still debating pulling the motor for a rebuild

Cool... I'll see if I can't snap a few this weekend then.

72chevy2door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Thanks bud id greatly appreciate that

SlickGTP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sorry about this... I've forgotten to get pictures these past few weekends. I'll see if I can get to it tomorrow though. If I don't post any then PM me to remind me that I need to do it. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
87R10_Cruising