Beadlocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Anyone here run any? I aired down to 5 psi with my standard steel wheels last weekend which was a new low. In the past I try to stay at 7-10 psi. So far I haven't lost a bead but if I did, I'd have a hard time fixing it in 3+ feet of snow.

I have seen a few manufacturers say there is a limit to 25-30 psi. I'm guessing more pressure than that might cause the locked bead to blow out? I still like to use the truck to haul stuff so then I'm limited to how much weight I can carry in the bed? Normally when loading up I fill up the tires to 60-80 psi depending on the load.

I was looking at steel beadlocks. Price is cheaper, and since I did my rear disc brake conversion my rear studs are a bit on the short side. Figure with aluminum wheels I'd need to redo the studs with longer ones. But with steel- how badly would they rust? I've heard water/mud/crud gets trapped inside the lock ring. I've only read about one company that designed the lock ring to drain. Could it be as simple as drilling a few holes to let water (melted snow) escape from the ring?

Any words of wisdom?

These are specifically the wheels I was looking at:

You must be registered for see images

Battleborn wheels, gatekeeper. 17x9 wheel with 3.5" of backspacing. $250 Tires I'd be running are 37x13.50R17

https://www.battlebornwheels.com/co...er-offroad-beadlock-black?variant=40366305933

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
I run beadlocks.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Can you provide any details on your setup? What size tires are those? Size/specs of those wheels? Brand? Thanks!

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
Can you provide any details on your setup? What size tires are those? Size/specs of those wheels? Brand? Thanks!

the wheels are Procomp Trilogy 17x9 with 4.5" bs
tires BFG KM3 37x13.50r17

Lift is ORD 6" custom springs

front axle is a 3/4 ton 10 bolt 8 lug. the wheels will also work with a Dana 60 front

rear axle is 14bolt FF rear disk

I am playing with the idea of putting in 1/2" wheel spacers....maybe 1". I like the look of the wheels when they stick out of the body a bit more than they are. but clearance hasn't been issue as of yet with current setup

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
Anyone here run any? I aired down to 5 psi with my standard steel wheels last weekend which was a new low. In the past I try to stay at 7-10 psi. So far I haven't lost a bead but if I did, I'd have a hard time fixing it in 3+ feet of snow.

I have seen a few manufacturers say there is a limit to 25-30 psi. I'm guessing more pressure than that might cause the locked bead to blow out? I still like to use the truck to haul stuff so then I'm limited to how much weight I can carry in the bed? Normally when loading up I fill up the tires to 60-80 psi depending on the load.

I was looking at steel beadlocks. Price is cheaper, and since I did my rear disc brake conversion my rear studs are a bit on the short side. Figure with aluminum wheels I'd need to redo the studs with longer ones. But with steel- how badly would they rust? I've heard water/mud/crud gets trapped inside the lock ring. I've only read about one company that designed the lock ring to drain. Could it be as simple as drilling a few holes to let water (melted snow) escape from the ring?

Any words of wisdom?

These are specifically the wheels I was looking at:

You must be registered for see images

Battleborn wheels, gatekeeper. 17x9 wheel with 3.5" of backspacing. $250 Tires I'd be running are 37x13.50R17

https://www.battlebornwheels.com/co...er-offroad-beadlock-black?variant=40366305933

I also looked at those wheels. you need to look at the thickness of the bead on your tires. thinner beads wont wok well on steal beadlocks. that's why I ended up with AL rims

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I also looked at those wheels. you need to look at the thickness of the bead on your tires. thinner beads wont wok well on steal beadlocks. that's why I ended up with AL rims

I had looked at those ProComp wheels when they first came out- but seems like they are discontinued now.

Those are the exact tires and size I was wanting to switch to. The bead thickness isn't supposed to be too thick with those tires (is what people tell me). The thick beads are typically super swamper or pitbull tires. (which then you need a ring spacer) So you are saying the BFG beads are pretty thin and a steel wheel won't clamp into them properly?

Did you use balance beads, or just mount them without any sort of balancing?

Very nice setup!

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
I had looked at those ProComp wheels when they first came out- but seems like they are discontinued now.

Those are the exact tires and size I was wanting to switch to. The bead thickness isn't supposed to be too thick with those tires (is what people tell me). The thick beads are typically super swamper or pitbull tires. (which then you need a ring spacer) So you are saying the BFG beads are pretty thin and a steel wheel won't clamp into them properly?

Did you use balance beads, or just mount them without any sort of balancing?

Very nice setup!

Mornin. That is what Offroad power products told me. I knew I wanted the BFG tires. And I was going to buy the steel bead locks from them. They told me the bfg km3 dont sweat week on the steel rim and tend to leak. They really need an aluminum beadlock because the bead is thinner than super swamper and pitbull.
I used 16 ounces of air soft NON BIODEGRADABLE air soft Pellets (or exactly half of this bag I bought on amazon

Ignore the scale. It wouldn’t measure ounces. I did the math and used two of the same glasses. Splitting the bag in half

Lucas at 4wparts in Louisville KY found the rims for me. They are new this year. The old trilogy are discontinued though. I think these are series 75. I’ll double check for you.
Also my wheels are not DOT so good luck finding anyone to mount them. I did mine in my garage. Freed from dirt every day has a great tutorial on it on YouTube.

Btw I have run balance beads for years. Like actual bead made for balancing....I like the air soft pellets better.

You will need both of these. Half a bag per tire
MetalTac Airsoft BBS .25g 8000 Rounds Match Grade BB Pellet, 0.25 Gram 6mm for Airsoft Guns Ammo with Speed Loader https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VYW5Z78/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kGpvEb72DM3HX

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
the wheels are Procomp Trilogy 17x9 with 4.5" bs
tires BFG KM3 37x13.50r17

Lift is ORD 6" custom springs

front axle is a 3/4 ton 10 bolt 8 lug. the wheels will also work with a Dana 60 front

rear axle is 14bolt FF rear disk

I am playing with the idea of putting in 1/2" wheel spacers....maybe 1". I like the look of the wheels when they stick out of the body a bit more than they are. but clearance hasn't been issue as of yet with current setup

What truck did they 14 bolt FF with disk brakes come from?
Did you convert from drums or where they already there?

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size

I converted the drums to disk using lugnut4x4.com kit. It’s a good simple kit.

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
Also I have a thread about it somewhere in here if your interested

RoryH19

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 Silverado SWB
Engine Size
350 TBI
I converted the drums to disk using lugnut4x4.com kit. It’s a good simple kit.

Thanks.

I've been looking at later model trucks that already have disk brakes.

I have one of the hard to find 14 bolt SF six lug from a 96 light duty 3/4 ton 4x4. Almost exactly the same width of the front axle on my k5 but it has drums.
I can convert to disk but want to have a parking brake.
Later model disks have drum parking brakes under the disk "hat".

colonel mustard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
steven
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5 blazer
Engine Size
Thanks.

I've been looking at later model trucks that already have disk brakes.

I have one of the hard to find 14 bolt SF six lug from a 96 light duty 3/4 ton 4x4. Almost exactly the same width of the front axle on my k5 but it has drums.
I can convert to disk but want to have a parking brake.
Later model disks have drum parking brakes under the disk "hat".
Lugnut4x4 has a parking brake version which uses Cadillac rear calipers.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I used 16 ounces of air soft NON BIODEGRADABLE air soft Pellets (or exactly half of this bag I bought on amazon.

Btw I have run balance beads for years. Like actual bead made for balancing....I like the air soft pellets better.

You will need both of these. Half a bag per tire
MetalTac Airsoft BBS .25g 8000 Rounds Match Grade BB Pellet, 0.25 Gram 6mm for Airsoft Guns Ammo with Speed Loader https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VYW5Z78/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kGpvEb72DM3HX

Great idea- and a lot cheaper than the actual balancing beads. Other than the price why do you like the air soft pellets better?

RecklessWOT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
So what is the big difference between KM2s and KM3s? I ran original BFG M/T KM back in the day, then after those went away I ran KM2s on my next rig and the difference was obvious, looks and performance. Those KM3s looks pretty darn similar to KM2s in the photo. I'll admit I'm not up to speed as I run A/Ts nowadays, but I don't see a night and day difference like the switch to KM2s

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevew7704