Beauty rings questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
I need to buy some beauty rings, but I'm trying to avoid cheap junk. Is there anywhere that makes some quality stainless steel beauty rings for the typical 15" rally wheels?

Next question!

Were there any differences in the beauty rings from year to year? Maybe I'm imagining things, but I'd swear the factory beauty rings on my 87 had a slight angle on the face of the ring somewhere. Towards the wheel, it was round. Then the part of the ring that got closer to the tire, made a slight bend which wasn't round anymore. It may have just been a raised up portion, I can't remember.

But were all beauty rings like this? I thought the older ones were completely smooth and round. And were of a different side, meaning the outer diameter of the ring was larger.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Doppleganger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There's definitely 2 different styles. I had one with 15's and they were smooth and rounded in (radius). My buddy had an S10 with 14's and they had an almost flat face, then a chamfer/slant into the rim.

I would guess yours had the radius'd rounded look. But thats just me.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Far as I know, all of them used on the trucks were the rounded profile without any hard creases. There were different widths, depending on the width of the rim.

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Several different rings, if memory serves, early rings were shorter while later years were wider and in some cases covered the wheel vent/slot holes.

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
The rings on my '87 4wd have a flat edge on the outside. I recall that the rings on Mom's '84 K10 were exactly the same.

You must be registered for see images attach

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
The rings on my '87 4wd have a flat edge on the outside. I recall that the rings on Mom's '84 K10 were exactly the same.

Those are what I would call a rounded profile. I'll see if I got one with a hard edge to take a picture of.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Here's a factory original trim ring for a 15x8 Corvette rally. I think they have a nice look, and high quality reproductions should be easy to get from a reputable restoration parts company.

Here's an unknown brand aftermarket trim ring. The profile is very rounded.

Here's a factory GM trim ring for the 15x8 2wd C10 wheel.

And here's another GM ring on the same type wheel. I believe this ring is either from a narrower van wheel, or possibly an 80's or early 90's 15x7 S10 wheel.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Then here's a typical aftermarket trim ring meant for the Chevy rally wheel. Notice the distinct ridges in the profile. Similar rings were used on 80's Camaros and Monte Carlos. Probably some late 60's and 70's applications too.

Modern vintage tire fans may also notice that old Firestone and also the '87 production Goodyear Gatorade. And the tire on the red painted rally too. It's from '86.

PhotonFanatic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wilhelm
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
Thanks for all the help figuring out which ones were which!

I think I'd like some that don't have any creases or hard edges for my 87. Like the last pic of Bucket's 2nd to last post. Can anyone recommend somewhere that sells a quality set?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Maybe try Wheel Vintiques? I once bought a new set of rallies from a vendor at a Super Chevy Show and I bought them with rings and caps. I don't know if Wheel Vintiques made them, but they were super nice quality.

WesN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Back in the day I would come out of the house in the morning and see I was missing 4 stock beauty rings and after a couple of times I pulled my wheels and used stainless steel wire and in four places looped the wire through wheel holes and the beauty ring mount tabs. You hardly even see the wire. That put an end to losing rings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scandia