Battery kill switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rt66paul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
paul
Truck Year
1991 suburban
Truck Model
Engine Size
The old joke - "What is black and brown and looks good on a thief?"
A Rottweiler

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
...use a push-button momentary-on switch. It only makes a connection when you hold it down, so you would need to push the switch in and turn the key at the same time. Thieves would have more trouble figuring that out.

Would this switch be in line with the purple wire to the starter?

Back in high school, after my truck was stolen, I used one of the cylindrical key switches that was mounted in the door jamb. The hope was the thief would get in, close the door and never see the switch. the wires were routed high in the dash so finding and reconnecting them would have been tough to do without removing the cluster. Since my cluster is currently out I'd like to wire the extra kill switch in now so it would also be tough to find the wiring without removing the dash.

ak4life

alaskan born, fed and bred.....lol.
Reaction score
First Name
chris
Truck Year
81/84 gmc, 2001gmc, 2003 gmc, 2005 chevy
Truck Model
longbed squarebody, longbed 4dr extended cab, yukon sle, 4dr ext. cab
Engine Size
383, 6.0, 5.3, 5.3
Question is where does one put the switch that is convenient, not obvious for the authorized driver to operate and relatively creative?
Everyone has heard about the cig lighter kill switch.
Dummy switches on the dash? first thing I’d try.
Look under dash for switch? That seems fairly obvious too.
I’m thinking under the seat on seat frame. Easy to reach under after getting in without being obvious.
Or an old school dimmer switch on the floor. Too obvious to be considered as a kill switch. (Unless the thief really knows squares and that an 80s model don’t have a foot dimmer.)
Uhhhh, since when do 80's squared not have floor dimmers ? My 81/82 have floor dimmers.....

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Starting in 1984 (I think) the headlight dimmer moved up to the turn signal switch, along with the wiper switch.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Okay, I need some confidence here. To wire in the kill switch, based on the diagram attached, it is the purple wire I want to cut and splice the switch into. Right????????????

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Pick either of the purple wires, cut one snd put the switch inline. The engine won’t crank unless the switch in on

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
Question is where does one put the switch that is convenient, not obvious for the authorized driver to operate and relatively creative?

Yes, get creative. I have thought about this no/show style switch. An example, like maybe a micro switch on the ash tray. Ashtray needs to be pulled part way out to trip the switch. Of course the would require making a custom bracket to mount the switch. Yes, please get creative to save your ride!

Here are a couple other ways to use a switch.
- instead of a toggle, use a push-button momentary-on switch. It only makes a connection when you hold it down, so you would need to push the switch .........

Problem I see with a momentary switch is you need to push it every time you start the truck. This will get old fast. Also what if you stall out, now right hand cranking with the key, left hand pushing the kill button, no hand on the steering wheel.

One good point about using a fuel cutoff is that the truck will usually start because there is fuel in the float bowl. However, it will only make it a block or two, and then stop in the middle of the street. Most thieves will just abandon it at that point.

^^^^ This is what I chose. Mechanical fuel shutoff valve behind the seat. Only use it when you feel the need to.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I DID IT!!!! I installed my kill switch!!! :happy107:

I also ordered a motion/vibration 113 dB alarm to arm when I leave the truck. less than $20 and Fing loud!!!! Is a bike alarm but can be used for cars.
Also ordered a tracker that works on cellular and GPS. Again battery operated/rechargeable, made in USA. LandAirSea is maker. approx $31

I think I am covered now........:rotflmao:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
I DID IT!!!! I installed my kill switch!!! :happy107:

I also ordered a motion/vibration 113 dB alarm to arm when I leave the truck. less than $20 and Fing loud!!!! Is a bike alarm but can be used for cars.
Also ordered a tracker that works on cellular and GPS. Again battery operated/rechargeable, made in USA. LandAirSea is maker. approx $31

I think I am covered now........:rotflmao:

Wow!I think I'd just move to a safer neighborhood.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Wow!I think I'd just move to a safer neighborhood.

Oh, it is safe here, just a matter of peace of mind. All that cost me about $60 out of pocket - not a big chunk of change. I have put too much time, energy and money into this to have some 2-bit ******* decide to lift it. All deterrents of course because if the professional wants it, nothing deters them but you can annoy them and possibly track them.

And is there TRULY a "safe neighborhood" anymore? Not a matter of if, it is when. Do you carry or own firearms? If so, why?

Sorry, just gives me peace of mind and makes me happy and that is all that matters.

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Oh, it is safe here, just a matter of peace of mind. All that cost me about $60 out of pocket - not a big chunk of change. I have put too much time, energy and money into this to have some 2-bit ******* decide to lift it. All deterrents of course because if the professional wants it, nothing deters them but you can annoy them and possibly track them.

And is there TRULY a "safe neighborhood" anymore? Not a matter of if, it is when. Do you carry or own firearms? If so, why?

Sorry, just gives me peace of mind and makes me happy and that is all that matters.

I was just giving you a hard time. I moved out of the city, don't live in a town or city anymore so I don't worry about people messing with my stuff. I have a really funny story about that but. Not right now.

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Okay couldn't leave it like that. When I was first moving out of the city I was moving my stuff here on the weekends, got a visit from farmer Bob, yes that's the name he goes by. Bob tells me he told Jim someone had bought the place and he needed to get his pigs off my property.I said I don't care about his pigs I bought the place to store and work on my cars, but he ought to come introduce himself.Next weekend I'm here with the 16 foot trailer unloading the big compressor, mig welder etc. and I notice a truck going by real slow passenger looking out the window and someone in back looking at my barn also.The city in me says oh, the locals are already scoping out my stuff.They stopped in front of my north pasture and got out, I snuck around the barn to watch them, they were trying to catch a pig.I snuck right up behind them and announced hey! What are you doing with my pig.They explained it was their pig I explained it was here when I took possession so its my pig.I let the tension build just a little before I said, I don't care about that pig I was just effin with you. Country problems.

Last edited:

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I was just giving you a hard time. I moved out of the city, don't live in a town or city anymore so I don't worry about people messing with my stuff. I have a really funny story about that but. Not right now.

No harm done, I know it is overkill and people are probably laughing. Didn't cost much out of pocket (versus a Viper that cost over $300+). I haven't resided in a suburb since 1998. I do live in a rural area with a long driveway in the middle of woods. And I have 2 rotti's as alarms. There was an incident of catalytic converter stealing a few months back. Brazen bastards would go onto people's property and cut them off. Even hit about 1/2 dozen cars at a local mechanics shop and they had cameras. Unfortunately I live just over the mountain from the Shenandoah Valley which has I-81 running north/south which is the highway/gateway for drug distribution for the east coast. There are also some unfavorable gangs over in the area. And now there is a fuel situation and the whole 70s stealing gas is starting to happen again. But, I personally feel safe because I can answer "yes" to the question I posed to you. ;) Although it may appear that I am, but I am not a paranoid person, I just believe in keeping what is mine and sticky fingers need to steer clear.

Last edited:

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Okay couldn't leave it like that. When I was first moving out of the city I was moving my stuff here on the weekends, got a visit from farmer Bob, yes that's the name he goes by. Bob tells me he told Him someone had bought the place and he needed to get his pigs off my property.I said I don't care about his pigs I bought the place to store and work on my cars, but he ought to come introduce himself.Next weekend I'm here with th 16 foot trailer unloading the big compressor, mug welder etc. and I notice a truck going by real slow passenger looking out the window and someone in back looking at my barn also.The city in me says oh, the locals are already scoping my stuff.They stopped in front of my north pasture and got out I snuck around the barn to watch them, they were trying to catch a pig.I snuck right up behind them and announced hey! What are you doing with my pig.They explained it was their pig I explained it was here when I took possession so its my pig.I let the tension build just a little before I said, I don't care about that pig I was just effin with you. Country problems.

GREAT Story!!!!! What fun that must have been. :laughing1: