Balancing bias ply

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
My little bro just picked up a set of 39.5"x16" bias ply tires for his square and hates the way they are riding and can't find anyone to balance them. Is even trying to balance these monsters like pissing into the wind? I don't know anything about lifted trucks but thought you guys might be able to give me some insight.

Irishman999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-1500 High Sierra
Engine Size
My little bro just picked up a set of 39.5"x16" bias ply tires for his square and hates the way they are riding and can't find anyone to balance them. Is even trying to balance these monsters like pissing into the wind? I don't know anything about lifted trucks but thought you guys might be able to give me some insight.

I keep hearing of people using airsoft BB's in the tire. I know when we did big truck tires at work we threw in plastic bags full of little pellets to keep the tire balanced.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Tell him buy 2 large containers (coffee can size) of airsoft bb's and dump half a can inside each tire. There is not enough lead on earth to balance them the traditional way. Also remind him bias-ply tires ride like **** for the first couple miles till they warm up and the flat spots from sitting overnight go away. Bias tires run warmer than radials once they are up to operating temperature and thusly wear quicker. Hope he doesn't have them on a daily driver.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Why does everyone use the plastic bb's? What's wrong with the steel ones?

There's also this powder stuff called Equall or something. I've also heard of throwing a few golf balls into each tire.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Quieter at lower speeds I guess, and not small enough to work their way under the bead. Just guessing of course on that but they are quieter. Another thing to check is the balancing pad inside the tire, just about all of them have one. Just a pad of rubber maybe 4"x4" or so glued to the inside on the tread section. I heard a guy say he took his out and with no balancing they ran smooth as silk. YMMV of course.

delsolkm14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Darrell
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
350ci SBC
Why does everyone use the plastic bb's? What's wrong with the steel ones?

There's also this powder stuff called Equall or something. I've also heard of throwing a few golf balls into each tire.

I was told before I did mine that the plastic ones are easier on the insides of the tires and won't damage the rim or rubber as much as the steel ones.

Also, as crazy4offroad said, as you slow down, they are quieter when stopping.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I was told before I did mine that the plastic ones are easier on the insides of the tires and won't damage the rim or rubber as much as the steel ones.

Also, as crazy4offroad said, as you slow down, they are quieter when stopping.

Decreased tire wear makes sense. I used to run the steel bb's with steel rims, you could hear them as you were coming to a stop, but only if there were no other noises around.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rowdy_80