bagged 82

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scmonsterchevy

Reaction score
First Name
zak
Truck Year
Truck Model
stepside short box c10
Engine Size
im gettin ready to bag my truck i wanna it on the cheap i got the front done just tryin to figure out how to do the rear any help would be great

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
We could use a little more information. You didn't mention if you were looking to build a system from scratch or buy a bolt-in kit. How far are you looking to lower the rear of the truck? What will the truck be used for eventually? Daily driver, show truck, SCCA track events?

scmonsterchevy

Reaction score
First Name
zak
Truck Year
Truck Model
stepside short box c10
Engine Size
im gonna use it for just a toy take it to occasional show or what not im lookin to do all the work myself from scratch im hopin to lay frame i wanna be able to do some draggin with it but i mean i jsut wanna play around is most of what im doin with it

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Well the most simple rear suspension that will work is actually what they use in Nascar - the truck arm. The truck arms are like I-beams that pivot on a mounting crossmember usually located just behind the transmission tailshaft then bolt to the axle in the back. Lateral movement of the axle will need to be controlled using an adjustable panhard rod or a watts link. Your air bags would be set in pockets that are located on the top of the truck arms just forward of the axle.

There is a lot of information out on the net about how to properly set up a truck arm suspension out on the net. There is also a shop in California that pretty much specializes in this type of suspension. They sell complete kits as well as individual parts. You can check them out at http://www.hotrodstohell.net

By running a truck arm suspension the biggest problem you'll run across is probably going to be room for your exhaust. Those truck arms eat up a lot of the room that you'd usually hang your pipes in.

EDIT: Here's a link that shows how someone else did a truck arm suspension on a S-10 pickup. He used coil-over shocks for his setup, but the pictures and write-up can give you an idea of how easy it is to build this type of suspension. http://projects10.freeservers.com/coiloverrear.html

Last edited:

scmonsterchevy

Reaction score
First Name
zak
Truck Year
Truck Model
stepside short box c10
Engine Size
truck arms like on semi trucks that same style is that it. the big problem with that i kinda think is i wanna go side to side and panhard i know with throw my axle side to side right it wont stay centered or atleast i dont think so. im not worried bout exhaust im gonna run just headers with a collector style muffler on kinda like i run on my race car and its still street legal

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you are worried about lateral movement with the panhard bar, I suggest you look at a watts link setup. With a watts link the truck will react the same no matter if you are turning right or left.

scmonsterchevy

Reaction score
First Name
zak
Truck Year
Truck Model
stepside short box c10
Engine Size
now is it something i can build on my own i am a certified welder so im not worried bout that and i have done some fab work before i have build c notchs and alot of other things just for fun so im just tryin to do it myself i was also lookin at doin a 4 link or wishbone style would i still need the panhard for that style the ends will have heim joints and all that good stuff like front was easy for me its just the back that is throwin me for a loop tryin to do it cheap but still be able to drive the truck and get full function outta it

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
With a parallel four link you would still need a panhard bar or watts link. If you run a triangulated four link you wouldn't need them, as the upper bars would keep the axle centered.

The biggest downsides to running a four link is cost (for bolt in kits) or difficulty, since most of the kits on the market require a lot of fabrication by cutting and welding. Now that we know you are a welder, that wouldn't be as much of a concern.

scmonsterchevy

Reaction score
First Name
zak
Truck Year
Truck Model
stepside short box c10
Engine Size
ya im lookin at it as i got plenty of time to do the work ill be doin it all in my garage at home and im unemployed now but i got most the tools and parts i have some dom tubing and all so i just gotta weld it up just my first time doin a bag system i have done static kits and lift kits on similar trucks but i wanna go more extreme most guys out here in mi do static so i wanna be different then most of them pretty much its mini guys doin bolt in kits

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timk