Axle Placement and Truck Height

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
I replaced the front leaf springs and shocks at all four corners in the fall of last year. I have noticed recently that the front driver's side of the truck is lower than the passenger side.

Is there something other than the leaves that would cause this? How it the axle supposed to be located in the truck? I wonder if I didn't get the axle centered where it needed to be. I just put it in the middle of the leaves because I didn't know what hard points I should have measured to.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
It could just be the way the springs have settled so far. Does your truck have dual gas tanks? (Isn't a single tank only on the driver's side?) Do you drive with just you in the cab? Or have a passenger to "balance out" the weight?

What brand springs were they?

On your front spring shackles did you replace the upper bushing also?

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
There should be a "pin" (like a socket head bolt) holding the leafs together.

The front axle pads have a corresponding hole in them. The pin from the leaf springs is supposed to go in that hole to located the axle.

K

Keith Seymore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Keith Seymore
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
4.3L
And - "Chevy Lean" is not at all uncommon.

A lot of trucks were uneven side to side when new.

K

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
There should be a "pin" (like a socket head bolt) holding the leafs together.

The front axle pads have a corresponding hole in them. The pin from the leaf springs is supposed to go in that hole to located the axle.

K
Yep. You are right. The center pin for the leaf pack located the spring mount. Thanks for jogging my memory. I feel better about the axle placement now.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
It could just be the way the springs have settled so far. Does your truck have dual gas tanks? (Isn't a single tank only on the driver's side?) Do you drive with just you in the cab? Or have a passenger to "balance out" the weight?

What brand springs were they?

On your front spring shackles did you replace the upper bushing also?
Single, driver side gas tank and most of the time it's just my fat ass in the driver's seat and maybe the dog on the bench with me.

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
I've ot this exact problem on mine, but much more pronounced. It has crossed my mind it could be related to sway bar installation too... as in maybe I was turned to the side a bit when I attached the swaybar, which has tweaked it low to one side.

Grit dog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
And - "Chevy Lean" is not at all uncommon.

A lot of trucks were uneven side to side when new.

K
Not just chevys and not just old trucks. And not just trucks.

LateOnTheBrakes

5.3-Swapped 86 CUCV
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Truck Year
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
I have definitely experienced it with older cars. Especially with coil sprung and torsion bar vehicles. I'm just surprised it settled like that with 6-month-old springs.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have definitely experienced it with older cars. Especially with coil sprung and torsion bar vehicles. I'm just surprised it settled like that with 6-month-old springs.
how have you loaded it? Like pulled heavy trailers, anything front suspension wise? ID say the weight of driver and gas tank is sufficient to cause the thing to be that on its own merit, but if you are really worried, finding out if its suspension vs body relation to frame would be wise. Have you done new cab mounts? also if you visually want to improve it, you could ballast the passenger side box with some heavy things lol. Mileage couldnt change that much

edit, you did a 5.3 and a 4l60e swap didnt you ? Okay maybe you have some actual MPgs.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I've ot this exact problem on mine, but much more pronounced. It has crossed my mind it could be related to sway bar installation too... as in maybe I was turned to the side a bit when I attached the swaybar, which has tweaked it low to one side.
But when I say it im an idiot... :bawl:

Redfish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500
Engine Size
350/5.7
This is not just an older truck issue. My 2019 2500HD GMC was 3/8 inch higher on the driver's side when measured to the frame and to the fender lip. I have had 3 2500HDs and one 3500HD since 2002 and all of them were unlevel at the front.

FWIW, my '87 is off by just over a half inch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dale Downes