Autometer speedo and stock cable

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
I bought the Autometer phantom speedometer, mechanical not electric, and did not realize it has a screw on cable connection. I looked around on other forums and found some info on an adapter that Summit sold, stated you had to contact them directly as it was not in their catalog nor online. Contacted Summit and they no longer carry it or it is not made anymore by the carrier. An adapter that has a snap on end with a threaded end on the other. Anyone come across something like this for their speedo? I've found replacement cables that are threaded that are various lengths and I'm kinda wanting to avoid fishing a new wire in and old one out. But if it comes to it do what you gotta do right?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I read that the th350 and 700r4 could use the same speedo cable that the gears in the tail were similar. My Gpa switched out the 700r4 to a th350 sometime between 1987-90. I know the '87 came with a mechanical speedo just unaware if he had to change out the cable when he did the trans swap.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Don't know about the Autometer end but the tranny end is the same, my 74 was anyhow..

RangRayy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
r10
Engine Size
This is what is on autometers web page.

5⁄8" x 18 threaded cable input that requires a .104" sq. male drive
That's what is needed to screw into the back of the gauge.

74 Shortbed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
It's all standard stuff, any speedo shop can set you up.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I used a speedo cable from a 67-72 chevy truck. You can get it at any auto parts store.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djisurfli