Automatic transmission cooler question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave M

Banned
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
My pickup runs a TH400 trans and I was wanting to fit a trans cooler to it. I can get a factory GM one suited for a 460LE auto, they're cheap and in abundance at any wreckers. Would one of these be big enough and sized right for the TH400.

Rusty Nail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rusty
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
350sbc
Yep.
Damned near ANY size would prove beneficial I reckon but i'm also betting that bigger is better.

In a side note, when I built a drag racing car I installed the biggest mother I could find cheap and it is rated for a 24,000 GVW capacity vehicle. (semi truck)
In comparasion, the parts store computer lists a 12,000? GVW cooler for a K5 and it is almost exactly HALF THE SIZE.

I can ALSO ADD the transmission shop that sold me a rebuilt transmission WARRANTY demanded a cooler be installed yet....they did NOT utilize the factory cooler in the brand new radiator , they only hooked up the aftermarket $40 Perma-Cool unit that is installed behind the grille...and warrantied it like that!
I wanted that additional capacity though because
I thought more is better?

Good luck.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

ali_c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Alexander
Truck Year
1974, 1979
Truck Model
C20, K5
Engine Size
350, 350
Go for it.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The most effective coolers are stacked plate design like the Long Mfg. Tru-Cool Low Pressure Drop (LPD) coolers. I believe the B&M coolers are rebadged Long coolers. You can get Long coolers with GVW ratings up to about 28,000 lbs. Most come with metal mounting plates, not the cheap push-through plastic retainers.

Bruce

Last edited:

Ricko1966

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Truck Year
Truck Model
c20
Engine Size
Transmission fluid just like motor oil works best at certain temperatures to hot is bad, too cold is bad also.Thats why so many manufacturers use the radiator as a transmission cooler, the fluid stays a relatively constant temperature and the fluid warms up way faster in the winter because the radiator is actually heating it.If you want to add a cooler I'd add it before the factory cooler to keep the temperature regulating feature.

Matt69olds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC 1/2 ton
Engine Size
455 Olds
Any cooler is better than none. As someone mentioned before, it is possible to overcool a trans. With a non lockup converter like what’s in a 400, it would be very difficult to overcool a non lock up trans.

If you look at the cooler flow diagram of a 700/4L60, you will see the cooler flow is restricted while the converter is locked. That’s so when your driving on the interstate with the outside temp -10 below zero, the trans doesn’t get too cold. Most of the heat in a transmission comes from the torque converter.

Ok, transmission cooler lesson is over, class dismissed!

Install a cooler, keep the radiator cooler also. If you plumb the auxiliary cooler ahead of the radiator cooler, then the radiator cooler will keep the trans from getting too cool. It might also help the cooling system if the engine normally runs warmer than desired. On the flip side, if you really work the truck in the heat, at low speeds, then the cooler after the radiator would probably be best. That way, the auxiliary cooler can radiate extra heat before it gets back to the trans.

Lastly, if you don’t already have one, a deep pan is a big help. The deep pans hold an extra 3 quarts (I think) and are a simple bolt on. The factory deep pan needs to longer filter tube, longer filter bolt and extension sleeve. Aftermarket deep pans will include everything needed to install.

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The Long Tru-Cool transmission coolers have a thermal bypass built in, and it lets the fluid bypass the aux cooler if the fluid temp is below 180 degrees. They recommend installing the cooler after the in-radiator cooler.

Bruce

austinado16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
1990 w/307k miles on the clock
Truck Model
GMC V1500 Suburban SLE
Engine Size
5.7L TBI/4L60/3.42's
I installed the big 11"x11" Long Tru-Cool/B&M Supercooler. Yes, it needs to be installed after the heat exchanger that's in the radiator. Yes it has a passive bypass that keeps the oil from circulating through the entire thing, until the oil gets hot and thins out. Lastly, pay attention to how you mount it, and where your hoses are for inlet and outlet. It needs to have the fittings facing either sideways, or up. If they face down, it will not fill itself with oil, and will just function in bypass mode. I found this out the hard way.

I added the 454 pusher fan in front of mine, and switch below the dash, that allows my to run the fan as needed for a boost in cooling.

You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ls85c10man