Automatic front hub swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quade

Reaction score
First Name
Quade
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Jimmy High Sierra
Engine Size
Is there any thread that shows how to swap the stock automatic locking hubs from an 87 Jimmy to a Manual locking. I tried looking but Im not too good with the site path. If there isnt really any does anyone have any suggestions what to buy Id like to spend as little as possible for something that isnt super cheap. Im currently in the Fire academy so money isnt easy to find right now.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
It's pretty simple for the most part. Basically just remove the auto hubs and install the new manual hubs.

quade

Reaction score
First Name
Quade
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Jimmy High Sierra
Engine Size
Is there any particular one that people would recommend or stay completely away from? Or any tricks on how to remove the hubs themself I tried getting into mine the other day and barely got past the cover before I was stuck. I know i've done it before with a manual somewhere on the internet but that sucker is gone.

jetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
No trick to removing the automatic hubs. Just start ripping at it and throw all that automatic stuff in the nearest trash can.

Keep going till you get to the locking nuts holding the hub on. Stop there.
(Warn will sell you new nuts, but from my experience the OEM nuts work just fine.)

You are now ready to install the manual hubs. Pro tip #837, put a bend in the end of the wire locking ring using some pliers BEFORE installing the locking ring. Makes it much easier to remove the locking ring later on. I keep a dental pick around to remove stuck locking rings.

This job is really simple, no reason to worry.

Enjoy your manuals!

Georgeb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
George
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Burb Z71
Engine Size
Don't toss the stuff. Post it up for sale. Bet you can sell it!

quade

Reaction score
First Name
Quade
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Jimmy High Sierra
Engine Size
Ok and I think either way its going to have to go in the trash because the whole reason I was getting into it is because at any speed theres a horrible noise coming from my front axle and Iv eliminated the front pinion set and in the driver side hub when I took the cap off the grease was thick and had metal in it so I think something in the hub or bearing grenaded which probably isnt helping me in taking it out.

quade

Reaction score
First Name
Quade
Truck Year
Truck Model
GMC Jimmy High Sierra
Engine Size
I took the whole spindle assembly out (which was a son of a you know what) after those 4 hours or so I got the axle shaft and everything out and noticed there was alot of sand and other debris in the axle housing, took all that out, repacked the bearings and the noise and everything is gone now. I'm still gonna order manual locking hubs because they are actually reliable but I'm relieve that I don't have to spend any money right now on it.

TheGolem

Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10 Suburban silverado
Engine Size
350 TBI
I took the whole spindle assembly out (which was a son of a you know what) after those 4 hours or so I got the axle shaft and everything out and noticed there was alot of sand and other debris in the axle housing, took all that out, repacked the bearings and the noise and everything is gone now. I'm still gonna order manual locking hubs because they are actually reliable but I'm relieve that I don't have to spend any money right now on it.

http://pma4x4.com/2012/10/chevy-12-ton-auto-hubs-to-warn-manual-lock-outs-swap/
Idk if you've done it yet, but that's the link I used when I was swapping the hubs. Very simple actually (and I have absolutely no room to call myself a mechanic haha). I was gettin a ticking/clicking noise from the front axle too, put some manuals in there and boom....dead silent. Btw, the noise is caused by the auto hubs disengaging inproperly (usually not due to driver negligence, but poor design) so the sooner you throw those darned things in the trash; the better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChevyJGP