AuroraGirl is buying another square... is it a good one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hes locked in and im going to call him monday and find out a time that works best to haul it. I saw more pics, im not gonna lie its not perfect, but its "normal" for a 15-20 year old truck around here, but its a 78 so its got that. The worst is the spare tire carrier and the spring perch on one side. its not broken or rusted through, but its ****-eyed and being its rusty i would assume change it and the spring(HD springs, overload, sags to the passenger side) before I use it as a truck. So naturally I would redo brake lines and cylinders, they are likely just like my trucks.
But I knew this going in, and i can remedy that kind of stuff no problem. beings i can just work on it when i can thats the bonus.

Hes locked in the deal because im willing to pay and he has to come up this way during the week/next weekend anyway, and i said this weekend would be OK but if he needed another day to bring it i could make it work. He said trying to work through his dads stuff for sale and such(guessing it was his dads) hes grateful ill wait. he put the post on fb to pending an offer and said assuming when he comes up and im there, if i have cash its mine. And thats the case on my end. So on monday ill know what day to receive it.

So i dont have it yet, I dont want to say its mine yet because Life likes to throw grenades, but its like a house offer that isnt on paper.. not binding but something!!!!????

Im going for it. ill let you guys know the good or bad, I cant.. not.. if im around a month from now and i still have NO posts about it or things to say, thats kinda obvious!!! Lol, and if im sad who else would make me feel better than bucket.
Plus im emotional, if i cry be damned sure im making sure you guys know it

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
...Not worried about fuel economy, new cam grind and valve train (more money) now you have a rocket.
Worst thing is.. assuming i keep it th400 and big block like it originally had... oh god is my wallet and soul gonna hurt.

IM not gonna lie, im a little of a stickler on fuel economy. i daily drive a boat of a car and get 20-25mpg combined even with some 108mph cruising sustained for funsies, and i always hate myself at the gas pump when i drive the 2wd 1/2ton 4.9l I6 of my f150.... and it has the most gutless gears(3.08) and a 4 speed auto(5 speed would be great) and i HATE myself at the pump. The 300 definitely drinks gas compared to the 302.. but it can do the same amount of work at much less RPM and load, hence its a great engine for what i use it for.. but not using it for work(just commuting) is just a dog... and im prob getting 14-20 mpg conservatively.

I love squares but... man... im not gonna like myself when i go get gas

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
Worst thing is.. assuming i keep it th400 and big block like it originally had... oh god is my wallet and soul gonna hurt.

IM not gonna lie, im a little of a stickler on fuel economy. i daily drive a boat of a car and get 20-25mpg combined even with some 108mph cruising sustained for funsies, and i always hate myself at the gas pump when i drive the 2wd 1/2ton 4.9l I6 of my f150.... and it has the most gutless gears(3.08) and a 4 speed auto(5 speed would be great) and i HATE myself at the pump. The 300 definitely drinks gas compared to the 302.. but it can do the same amount of work at much less RPM and load, hence its a great engine for what i use it for.. but not using it for work(just commuting) is just a dog... and im prob getting 14-20 mpg conservatively.

I love squares but... man... im not gonna like myself when i go get gas

I have to admit I bought an '03 VW Jetta TDI this summer, the diesel engine. It gets 45 mpg, and it's fast(highway). This really opened up my world, more freedom. Nearly 1000 Ks on $55 of fuel. I'm still driving Big Blue and he has firewood duty later today.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I have to admit I bought an '03 VW Jetta TDI this summer, the diesel engine. It gets 45 mpg, and it's fast(highway). This really opened up my world, more freedom. Nearly 1000 Ks on $55 of fuel. I'm still driving Big Blue and he has firewood duty later today.
Its why I couldnt DD a square, but my 99 park avenue allows me to have collector plates which conveniently i have a set that need a new home :)
in wisconsin collector plates are expensive but dont require annual registration, require you to have ONE car at least with yearly registration, and they follow you more than a car so transfer is cheap getting is expensive. i havent put them on anything since i sold my 77 LTD.

Pretty blue plates with nothing to put them on except a 77 electra but we dont talk about that.

But yes, MPG is life. I am very comfortable with 20-25 of my park avenue, so hoppefully it works for years.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'm all for putting a big block back into a big block truck. But at the same time, you already have engines that would drop right in there for little expense.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'm all for putting a big block back into a big block truck. But at the same time, you already have engines that would drop right in there for little expense.
I could also fufill the life long dream of daily driving a truck with a 283 running lead substitute with a 2 speed powerglide roaring at 55 on a country road

TerryRH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10
Engine Size
350ci
The big block is nice. They are simple and easy to work on - so is the LS. Especially being up north, fuel injection would be the route I took. The BBC will net you 8-10 mpg, where a 6.0 you can still squeeze 16 out of it.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Reminds me of my old LTD. MOdified 400 ford... dog of an engine, didnt do much great, but it sounded like butter in your ears. nice and warm

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
Keep in mind, you are not doing big block things in your big block truck thinking I need to get all those miles per gallons.

You build it to get the best miles per gallon that IT will get.
It is not a modern commuter car that will pull the last ounce of energy out of every drop of fuel.
But it will put a smile on your face when you fire it up in the morning.

Definitely not for the faint of heart.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Keep in mind, you are not doing big block things in your big block truck thinking I need to get all those miles per gallons.

You build it to get the best miles per gallon that IT will get.
It is not a modern commuter car that will pull the last ounce of energy out of every drop of fuel.
But it will put a smile on your face when you fire it up in the morning.

Definitely not for the faint of heart.
Smiles per gallon as i tear up wide smiled?

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I think youre crazy - want somethin else.

Now is the time to sell, not buy.
Unless you take into account of hyper inflation induced by **** hitting the fan. Or worse yet our currency being worthless.

IMO, our dollar was at its maximum buying a few months ago as compared now through the foreseeable future. Buying things that will make your life easier is not a bad idea. Not pertaining to the purchase of this thread, but to the general statement that now is the time to sell, not buy.

For instance, a few months ago I bought 4 2500 gallon potable water tanks to put on a bench I cut into on of my hills and a UV filtration system. Let’s say that setup ran me $5,000. In a few months, if there’s economic distress and/or hyperinflation It’d potentially cost me significantly more...say $10k

In other words-what a thousand will buy today, may cost 2000 next month. I’ve seen this first hand with lumber prices. They’ve doubled during the pandemic.

Saving worthless pieces of paper may be useless in the future, but durable items will always have value.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I think youre crazy - want somethin else.

Now is the time to sell, not buy.
i didnt get it anyway, thanks for tagging me so i can update i couldnt find this thread lol

Guy didnt want ot part with her, too sentimental for him. I udnerstood. We shared stories though and he appreciated the fact i wanted to fix her and make her whole again. he bought an old accelerator pedal i had LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willyg