ATF to reduce rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
I read yesterday that by squirting ATF into certain areas that will eventually be sealed off that it can reduce condensation and rust over time and it also is one of the few oils to wick upwards near 12 inches at least in some instances. If this is correct and since I have the head liner currently out of my suburban I wanted to line the interior edges and corners (common rust areas) with some.

Anyone ever heard this, done this? supposedly using a dentist syringe is good for getting it back in spots and3 ccs will go a long way. any other areas ya'll can think of?

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I'd remove the rear speakers and tailights, then hose down the insides of the quater panels with a sprayer of some kind. The insides of the rockers need a coat too, but I don't recall a good way of getting to them without cutting on the inner rocker.

Be careful putting ATF in other places of the interior, it may smell, especially when sitting in the hot sun.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I'd remove the rear speakers and tailights, then hose down the insides of the quater panels with a sprayer of some kind. The insides of the rockers need a coat too, but I don't recall a good way of getting to them without cutting on the inner rocker.

Be careful putting ATF in other places of the interior, it may smell, especially when sitting in the hot sun.

Has a cat piss smell.

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
I bought a case of fluid film from Amazon after I had read on some off road forums how guys used it.

Basically the same as WD-40 but has some wax mixed in with it. After it is applied the wax floats up to the surface making it not so tacky. I bought the spray cans with the 2' or 3' applicator hose and sprayed down the whole truck. Inside fenders, inside doors, the whole frame, tanks, the square tubing under the bed...

It is about a year later and held up fairly well considering how much winter driving with de-icer and how much time I have spent on gravel roads. I'll touch it up at the end of summer to prepare for winter.

The next time though I'll order a gallon bucket of it and use something like a weed sprayer to coat most of the undercarriage. The cans with wands will still be needed to do inside some of the panels.

http://www.fluid-film.com/applications/automotive/

smoothandlow84

I'd rather be draggin' frame
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Truck Year
1984 Frame...87 motor and 700r trans
Truck Model
1500 r10 pavement scraper
Engine Size
350 TBI
Wow...the things you have to do just to live in the snow. I can honestly say that I have never owned a vehicle with rust, never delt with rust and feel bad for all of you that are effected by it. Sure its hot as **** here in Phx (113 today) but at least theres no rust.

There must be some sort of rust inhibitor product out by now to protect the underside of vehicles....right? Using atf kinda sounds strange and it has to smell awful in the cab. When mytrans line burst under the hood...it did kinda smell like burnt cat piss. I couldn't handle that smell all day in the cab recirculating.

Last edited:

CSFJ

-----------------
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
-------------
Truck Year
-------
Truck Model
-------
Engine Size
-------
Wow...the things you have to do just to live in the snow. I can honestly say that I have never owned a vehicle with rust, never delt with rust and feel bad for all of you that are effected by it. Sure its hot as **** here in Phx (113 today) but at least theres no rust.

There must be some sort of rust inhibitor product out by now to protect the underside of vehicles....right? Using atf kinda sounds strange and it has to smell awful in the cab. When mytrans line burst under the hood...it did kinda smell like burnt cat piss. I couldn't handle that smell all day in the cab recirculating.

The only true corrosion inhibitor, is to avoid driving anything you care about in the winter.

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
Well due to the smell issue I will steer clear of the atf on the interior shell. I am not longer in the north but do remember the continuous rust maintenance I had to do while in upstate NY, now back home in NC and loving it, mainly just looking for a way to seal it after I get rid of pre existing surface rust. exterior is all primer and paint but inside though not bad at all I was looking for something, I will look into the fluid film stuff you linked, thanks

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
The fluid film does have a smell also. My garage smelled like it for a few days, then it went away. Not too sure how it would smell inside a suburban.

I did blast it all over inside my door panels though. Doors had rust starting in them and the passenger one was real hard to roll up. After blasting it the window has rolled up pretty easily for the last year.

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
this what your talking about I assume it is. Gemplers eems to have a decent price on it but I may check locally first I have a few agri supply shops. Did you spray it on the actual motor? mine are slow but I was just going to replace them?...

Attachments

• rust-preventive-coating-173088-lrg.jpg
    rust-preventive-coating-173088-lrg.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Yep, that is what I bought. I have crank windows- so I just soaked everything in the door. I'm not sure I'd spray a motor with that.
One of the articles I read about the stuff said some state back east uses it now to soak down their trucks for winter protection (road department). They have had a lot less maintenance after using this for protection. I'll see if I can find it later.

carlgm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Truck Year
'85
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
How about using amsoil mphd? I heard good things about it, and it doesn't have a funky smell.

flyboy1100

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
me
Truck Year
Truck Model
k1500
Engine Size
305, 700r4??, 3.42 gears
How about using amsoil mphd? I heard good things about it, and it doesn't have a funky smell.
Strong waxy slight oily smell. I have a can of it, only used it on door hinges and the smell lingers for a few days

tiredtiretodd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Truck Year
Truck Model
K 25
Engine Size
I used PB Blaster on a few things and It doesn't seem to stink at all. Oh yeah, Marvel Mystery Oil works pretty good too and I love the smell of that.

jmbcary44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jon
Truck Year
Truck Model
v1500 Suburban
Engine Size
5.7L 350 SBC
few good ideas to check out, I am putting the liner back in soon so I guess ill just go with whatever smells best, anything to help retard the rust some

X piped

Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra Classic 1500
Engine Size
Small block
They make a product called RUST Check. It's an anti corrosion product that is red in color and is a very this runny oil with a high capillary ability to soak into those hard to wash sealed areas. It smells like cherries so it won't stink you out of your vehicle like ATF. I treat my short box with it every year up here in Canada. Soak underneath the truck, engine bay, chassis, wheel wells and cab corners. I'm enjoying a factory truly rust free pickup with 215 000KM on it. You will never have a seized bolt on your pickup if you treat it every Fall!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnalen76