Anyone done leaf spring bushings? 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Hey guys, 86 K10. I think the buckling noise under the floorpan when I go around a turn, is my front leaf spring bushings...I looked at the one on the shackle end(back) of my front spring, ad it looks like toast. The spring is tilted, not level with the bolt. Going to just do the front springs for now, but I wanted to make sure that i`m not going to need a press to do them.
Anyone?
Thanks,
Jim

nvrenuf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
Original negative arch or aftermarket lift springs?

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
If you are just doing the brushing, you can get by with just a c clamp. I would recommend using some liquid soap on the bashing they go in so much easier.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
light the rubbers on fire with a torch, and melt the rubber out. without a press, you're looking at a huge pain in the ass... if you can even get them out.

78shortandwide

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I just drilled the rubber out of my old ones. They came out pretty easy.

TheBigTater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading this thread, I went out and poked my head under my truck and sure enough my shackle bushings are beat to death (passenger side is almost gone). Mine has been clunking like that too and it's been on my list of things to check. Thanks for bringing it up!

Question- I have lift springs on mine, can I get replacements at the local parts store or do I have to order this daystar kit? The daystar stays it is for lift springs. I'm kinda broke right now and would rather just get some stock rubber ones if I can. I plan on upgrading to HD shackles later down the road
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-and-Shocks/Spring-And-Shackle-Bushing.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=20&t_pt=9050&t_pl=1019&t_pn=DAYKG02010BK&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product&emlprox=out#ReadReview

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
After reading this thread, I went out and poked my head under my truck and sure enough my shackle bushings are beat to death (passenger side is almost gone). Mine has been clunking like that too and it's been on my list of things to check. Thanks for bringing it up!

Question- I have lift springs on mine, can I get replacements at the local parts store or do I have to order this daystar kit? The daystar stays it is for lift springs. I'm kinda broke right now and would rather just get some stock rubber ones if I can. I plan on upgrading to HD shackles later down the road
http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lift-Kits-Suspensions-and-Shocks/Spring-And-Shackle-Bushing.aspx?t_c=1&t_s=20&t_pt=9050&t_pl=1019&t_pn=DAYKG02010BK&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=product&emlprox=out#ReadReview

I would hope that stockers would work, But I`m not 100% sure.
The noise is the axle moving under he truck as a result of the worn bushings.
Greasdog, I think a map gas torch should do the trick, Eh?

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Be sure to check the leaf spring center bolt too if bushings dont fix it.

TheBigTater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well on further inspection of my bushings I've discovered that the shackles are all effed up now. They're all bent so I used this opportunity (and the visual impact of the damage) to convince the wife that ORD shackles are my only option. :)

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
you can do the same thing with a piece of 3/8" x 2" steel flat stock for much cheaper... or check out www.DIY4X.com

TheBigTater

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can do the same thing with a piece of 3/8" x 2" steel flat stock for much cheaper... or check out www.DIY4X.com

Normally I would, but I'm limited to simple hand tools and I'm stuck working on it in the street in front of my apartment (in the middle of downtown). So until we find a place with a garage (or even a damn driveway) I kinda have to pay extra for convenience.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
i made mine with a sawzall and an electric 1/2" chuck drill. simple tools.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wacky