Any experience with an E40D transmission? Pump seal behind converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I know, i know. "Go forder" but its my towing rig. puking trans fluid out. any experience?
You must be registered for see images attach

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
If it was me and it was my towing rig that I needed to run well and reliably, I would drop it out and rebuild it. A quality rebuild kit and the manual is only about $200. This company is local to me but also ships and has a really good reputation. https://www.oregonperformancetransmission.com/product/OPT-E4OD-4R100-RB.html

You can probably find a kit cheaper elsewhere and if you don't have a lot of miles on it you can probably just flush it really well, clean everything up, and replace the seals. I had 240,000 miles on mine when I sold it and it had never had anything rebuilt on it. Still ran like a champ and had no issues. It was in a 2001 F150 4x4 with the heavy duty tow package.

1985c20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Incredibly common with the obs fords. The stock seal is cheap and deforms under heat. Had a buddy in high school with a long bed 2wd we all thought it was a burnout machine but every time he loaded up on the converter to try it would just start puking fluid out the front seal haha. They sell a replacement made of Viton that is supposed to be much better.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
118k miles and it's not heavily used. Fluid is nice and red. I may have been driving 90 miles an hour sustained and gunned from stops before it started leaking.

But what I'm asking, anyone knows the steps or how hard? I've never pulled a trans before. Idk much

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
If you have the facilities to work on it and a transmission jack, it is pretty simple and easy. I would assume just replacing the pump seal would be pretty easy. You probably dont even need to fully remove the trans, just push it back enough to get the torque converter off, swap the seal, plop the converter back in and bolt it all back together. If it was me and I was taking the time to remove the transmission, I would just spend the money for a stock rebuild kit and rebuild the trans while its out. If you aren't comfortable with doing that kind of thing, then don't touch anything that doesn't HAVE to be touched and just fix the one problem.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
If you have the facilities to work on it and a transmission jack, it is pretty simple and easy. I would assume just replacing the pump seal would be pretty easy. You probably dont even need to fully remove the trans, just push it back enough to get the torque converter off, swap the seal, plop the converter back in and bolt it all back together. If it was me and I was taking the time to remove the transmission, I would just spend the money for a stock rebuild kit and rebuild the trans while its out. If you aren't comfortable with doing that kind of thing, then don't touch anything that doesn't HAVE to be touched and just fix the one problem.
How hard is removing a torque converter and is It right behind it. I'm having troubles finding videos

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
here's a relevant video.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
. At about the 4 minute mark he talks about removing the torque converter bolts. It bolts to the flex plate and is slid into the input on the transmission. Once you unbold the transmission and slide it back, the torque converter would just slide out of the front of the transmission.

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
The only thing I can say is the truck here at the house has burned its E4OD thrice in 225K miles from excessive payloads. When you rebuild it, or even if you don’t, a neatly installed secondary cooler would be a smart move.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
referrich