Another wiring problem!! Help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Forgottenknight

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey! I wanted to give a quick thanks in advance, I have been reading posts for quite a while now and have found lots of help from this site so far. Im sure someone has got an answer to this! I have been trying to find a problem that I have had on my 84 K10 with the lights. I'll do my best to describe it...

If I turn the key on and hit the left blinker, everything works as it should front and rear... When the brake pedal is pressed, the front left blinker will continue to work but at a slower pace, however the rear left light will go very dim, and the rear right blinker will flash at the same slower rate as the front left. if I press just the brake pedal , the rear brakes seems to be dim but they do work. I tried a few combinations and it seems as thought anytime I ask the rear light to do more than one task, everything goes weird.

Again, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction!

gpmorgan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
If you have a pigtail for trailer lights, thats where I would check first for problems. Make sure all bulbs and fuses are good. Sounds like it might be the combination switch providing everything else checks out.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Hey! I wanted to give a quick thanks in advance, I have been reading posts for quite a while now and have found lots of help from this site so far. Im sure someone has got an answer to this! I have been trying to find a problem that I have had on my 84 K10 with the lights. I'll do my best to describe it...

If I turn the key on and hit the left blinker, everything works as it should front and rear... When the brake pedal is pressed, the front left blinker will continue to work but at a slower pace, however the rear left light will go very dim, and the rear right blinker will flash at the same slower rate as the front left. if I press just the brake pedal , the rear brakes seems to be dim but they do work. I tried a few combinations and it seems as thought anytime I ask the rear light to do more than one task, everything goes weird.

Again, hopefully someone can point me in the right direction!

First thing to do is check your ground for the rear lamps, dim lights indicate a bad ground. If you have a fleetside then it will be behind the driver side tail lamp. Next, check the sockets for each rear bulb. Make sure they are not corroded and all contacts are clean. Then check your flasher. It is the bottom right one in your fuse panel. Switch it out with the hazard one and see if that corrects it.

If none of that works then write back to us, we will get in more depth about checking the NSS and the rest of the wiring.

PS here is the diagram for the rear tail lamps.

Attachments

• Tail Lamps.jpg
    Tail Lamps.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 91

Forgottenknight

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Ill check that stuff out later tonight... this truck has been in the process of a rebuild for quite a long time, and I forgot some of the small details for rebuild. Should the box have a grounding strap?

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Ill check that stuff out later tonight... this truck has been in the process of a rebuild for quite a long time, and I forgot some of the small details for rebuild. Should the box have a grounding strap?

Yes.

Boone83K10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Benjamin
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Box....?

Run wha'cha brung...

Forgottenknight

Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
ok, got back out in the garage. I cleaned up all the grounds and added a grounding strap to the bed. It appears that everything works right now. Thanks again

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ruggedly