Ampmeter connection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
There's a reason manufacturers stopped putting amp meters in vehicles like 30 years ago.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I got started a little bit today with the wiring for the amp gauge. First locate suitable place to run the wires. Luckily my firewall board still has some of the punch outs. This looked like a place near enough to where the main harness conduit starts in the engine bay I might use.
You must be registered for see images attach
Guess at where that punch out is and drill hole with suitable hole saw. I noticed all kinds of spot welds on this part of the firewall and was afraid it would be thick here, but it went right through with no problem.
I hit that punch out dead center. I was sweating it for a second.
This was the only grommet I had in a ton of different grommets that would fit. I figured it would be a bit to large, but how much is what I wanted to know.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Moving on.
Using my X-acto knife, I sliced a section out in order to close the hole up so it will go into a smaller hole. It took a couple of times but finally got it.
Putting it in almost all the way, I could tell it was okay. Now, to enlarge the hole in the center.
That hole to the left there is where the speedometer cable and the fuel pressure gauge hose go through. There is a grommet for it, I just took it out when I took the fuel pressure gauge hose out. I'll put it back in when I finish that job.
I used my Dremel Tool with a drum cutting bit to open the hole up a little at a time until it looked large enough for the two wires together.
Sending the first wire through. This will be the wire going to the alternator wire up there on the block I made, where that nasty looking joint is.
I took a little bit to much out of the grommet when I was cutting it but I'll seal it up when I'm finished. You can see the little gap in the grommet after it was all the way in.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Let me see if the other pic of the cutter is any clearer.
It's a 1/8" diameter shaft.
The head end cuts to. I run the Dremel Tool wide open, 20K rpm to cut the rubber and it just turns the rubber into dust as it cuts through it.
It's a straight burr about 5/16" in diameter. I use it for wood , metal, plastic, whatever. I was pushing this burr into the hole of the grommet and pushing it from side to side in a circular motion in order to cut the hole larger.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I'd seen these recently at O'Reilly's but today when I went back to get some #10 black wire I saw them again and thought they would be good to use on the connection on the fusible link post. And they are the 1/4" ring one's I needed. Of all of the rings I have they were the only #10 of that size I didn't have and I felt were the size that will fit the post at the fusible link. There, it's a small post, looks like a 10-32 and the other post is a larger maybe a 9/32" or 1/4"? I don't know I haven't measured it. It doesn't matter because now, I have a ring connector for every size screw or bolt.
The sleeve over the bottom of the connector is shrink wrap so after you make the crimp you heat it and it seals it against weather. Good thing for the engine compartment where there is all kinds of bad conditions.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Today I continued with the connection of the #10 wires to the back of the Amp gauge.
This photo is for educational purposes. I've already finished soldering the ring terminals to the wires but let me take this opportunity to do some teaching.
To begin with only part of soldering is the heat from the soldering iron. What causes the solder to flow into the wire is the heat from the melted solder, not so much how hot you've got the wires from the iron.. And let me say this now, if you've never cleaned your soldering iron, that's why you have problems soldering. You may be a good solderer but for some reason you just can't seem to get the job done. It's not so much you, it's how clean your iron is.

Always have a small sponge there while soldering, every time. A two inch or so square sponge is fine. Wet the sponge, mine is usually hard and dried up, enough until is limp and wet. Then squeeze the water out of it. That is wet enough. When you see some black stuff on the tip, take the sponge and as if pinching the tip, encircle the tip and quickly wipe the whole tip off. You don't want to cool the tip down from holding the wet sponge on the tip to long. It should be shiny, it's clean when there is no black stuff on it.

If you've got a bunch of black crap on the iron it may take a file to get it off. Periodically I redo the tip on my iron by filing it back down to the copper. Once you do that, re-tin the tip by allowing the tip to heat up until the solder flows onto the tip, not balls up in places. When that happens it means the tip is not hot enough yet, or the tip wasn't clean when you tinned it, you are using the wrong kind of solder. For electrical soldering use rosin core solder. You may have to let several minutes pass until after a few tries, the solder flows onto the tip. Once it's coated evenly it's "tinned".

Now you are ready to solder. Remember, it's the heat from the solder that makes the bond of the wires, not so much the heat from the tip. After all, how can the point of the tip heat a whole terminal? If you left the iron on the wire long enough for that to happen you probably start melting the insulation on the wire. You don't want to get it that hot. Let the solder do the work, not a whole lot of excess heat from the iron.
Once you place the tip onto the wire for a few seconds test flow some solder onto the tip, if the tip is hot enough for the solder to flow, feed, push the solder into the wire being soldered. Continue pushing the solder into the wire, ring connector, splice, or whatever it is you're soldering, until you see it's full of solder. This may only take a few seconds to maybe a minute or so.

Like with these big ring terminals I had to do. I wanted to make sure the wire inside them was filling up with solder and in the process attach the wire to the inside of the ring terminal to. I could see the solder wick up through the split in the ring terminal.
Once the joint is full stop but don't move the joint. If you are soldering a wire on a flat surface, like I had to do on the gauge bulb sockets, or a thin piece of sheet metal you want to attach a ground wire to, or something like that. First you need to clean the area to be tinned. In the case of the sockets I scraped a small area with the edge of a pocket knife, then "tinned" that area, then soldered the wire to it. Once the soldering is done and you've removed the iron and solder, don't move the wire, or parts that were soldered, watch the soldered joint until you see it suddenly change color or texture. It's like it's freezing suddenly. At this point it's solidified and you can move the joint.

You could do all the soldering at one time, for instance like on the bulb socket, but it's better to do it in steps in case there is a problem with the tinning of the flat surface. There could be a problem where you didn't clean the surface well enough for the tinning to take place. If you were trying to solder the wire onto a surface that wasn't properly cleaned you could get contaminents into the wire at the same time you discover the flat surface had a problem.
Always make sure all parts of whatever it is you are soldering are clean either by chemical means, or mechanical means like filing or sanding the parts.

That should do it for soldering.
Of course I didn't forget to slip the insulating covers on FIRST! It would have been me to forget this step, but I remembered this time.
I used the part on the crimpers that says, "insulator only" and crimped the insulator onto the wire. You can see the solder on the wire right at the end of the terminals, and some has flowed out onto the ring. That's what a good flow looks like onto a ring. Don't let it build up to much though, the nut won't be all the way down on the ring making a bad connection. I almost got to much on the black wire. But it looks worse than it really is. There is more than enough ring for the nut to sit flat on it all around.
And attached the terminals onto the proper posts, Alt. wire, red onto the "A" post, and battery wire, black onto the "B" post. I made sure the ring terminal was sandwiched between two star washers like the instructions say. I hope these are on the right posts but the instructions say just switch them if the gauge is indicating backwards, or showing "charging" when it should be showing "discharging" when I turn the lights on after everything is hooked up. The instructions say the first step is to test the hook up, DO NOT START THE TRUCK!
Hook the battery cable back on the battery and just turn the key to "ON", then pull the headlight switch out to see if the meter is going in the right direction. If it's all good, then I can start the truck. That will be exciting!

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Something else.
I'm going to use 3/8" conduit to cover these wires. Two #10's just fit the conduit with a little left over.
Here's 3/8" and 1/4" conduit
See, 3/8" conduit is pretty big.
But in this picture you can see that 1/4" fits nicely inside 3/8" conduit, that's how small 1/4" is. So if you are coming up into a 3/8" conduit with a single wire in the 1/4" it will more or less go up into the 3/8" with other wires already in it. Then just tape it closed. Or you can use a "T" joint that I've seen. That's works to. Anything to make things look nice and neat and keep the dirt and water out of the wiring.

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
I wouldn't run them side by side

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@DoubleDingo,

Why? What am I supposed to do with them other than put them in conduit so they aren't with any other wires?

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Here's the final connections for the Amp. gauge
Cut that nasty splice out forever!!!
Here's what was talked about as one way to make a splice, by striping the insulation short, then push the ends of the wires together.
And I'll be dang, every time I try to take a pic of one of my soldered joints it comes out blurred!! But you get the idea.
And heat shrink covering.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Next.
Double...again!
Double...ignore.
Here's one of those heat shrink ring terminals. I cut the wire off just long enough to be at the end of the part of the ring terminal that you crimp. This pic is of the terminal crimped and shrunk.
I cleaned off the post and the large red wires terminal then used new star washers behind and in front of the new terminal, then tightened the nut on. The dividers on the link block are convinent.
Here's the finished connections. I pulled the Alt. wire out of the Adel clamp and straightened it out to meet up with the #10 wire I ran after cutting off the excess.
Following the Autometer instructions, battery negative cable reconnected, key turned to "on", and headlights pulled on...........well? That orange look to the lettering is from the gauge light being on. So power is happening why isn't there any indication? One way or the other?
I have to say the needle did wiggle. That's more movement than it ever has had. So I don't know what is happening...yet. I do have another Amp gauge out in the shop I'm going to try in case I damaged this gauge when I hooked it up wrong, when I connected it to the original Amp. gauge wiring and then ground. Like I said I neglected to follow the Autometer directions the first time. And if the gauge is kaput then that's what happens when you don't follow the directions. After this "test", I cranked the engine, all the while feeling of those big wires under the dash that go to the Amp. gauge just to make sure nothing heated was happening. It was all okay. But the Amp. gauge never moved other than that wiggle upon starting the engine.

Last edited:

DoubleDingo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bagoomba
Truck Year
1981, 1965
Truck Model
81-C20 Silverado Camper Special-TH400-4.10s; 65-C20 with 4:57 gears and Borg Warner Overdrive
Engine Size
Carb'ed Vortec 350; 1972 L48 350
If those wires get hot, being next to each other in the same conduit, you have the potential for a major meltdown. I just know in my old truck they were all by themselves and not bundled with the other wires. Was it a bad installation by grandpa or some other mechanic, I don't know. It may have been for safety. Hopefully someone else chimes in with better knowledge than I have. I am sometimes overly cautious especially when it comes to wiring.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
So I cut the old tape off the conduit where the Alt. wire comes out, the one that had that nasty factory twisted whatever it was, so I could look and see if there was a problem there.
Also to, I got my schematic out so I could look at that to.
This is a pic of both the Amp. gauge and the Volt gauge while the key is "on". You can see the volt gauge is showing 12 volts. I kinda thought it was supposed to show what the battery was putting out, but whatever. I don't have the engine running.
Okay, here's what I found. Looking at the schematic does show a "splice" at what the schematic says is near the "junction block" or where the fusible link is. So this is correct. The wires look a bit dirty, but okay. Then I found this dark green wire clipped off. What the heck is this wire? And what does it go to?
So I studied the schematic and it is probably the "20 DG 35". This means 20 gauge wire, Dark Green wire color, and fuse block location at 35 port, hole, the place where the wire goes into the fuse block on the firewall, whatever you call it. This wire went to the factory Temp. Sender that I clipped off to run the Autometer mechanical temp gauge sender I installed that has it's own wire. So I'll cap this wire even though it's not bothering anything after 25 years, but you never know. I didn't know it was in with these other wires.

So, the only thing I can think right now is there's a possibility the Autometer Amp. gauge that's in the instrument panel now is not working. There's a possibility I may have messed it up the way I hooked it up, although that little wire, the factory amp. meter had couldn't have carried enough electricity to amount to nothing. But also to, I don't know how sensitive that Autometer Amp. gauge is. Just hooking it up for a moment could have been all it took. We'll see. Tomorrow I hook the other amp. gauge up and see what happens.

Last edited:

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@DoubleDingo,

Thank you for your concern. I'm not going to put them with any other wires, ooooh no. I'm putting them in a loom by themselves so if anything does happen they will be the only thing affected.

Raider L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
William
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
@Ellie Niner,

Since I don't have my Alt. red light hooked up, like you have on your stock printed circuit has through a light in the instrument panel, it comes on right when you start your truck, it stays on until the Alt. field energizes then it goes off. Understanding that would my Amp. gauge show a discharge like almost to the neg. 60 on the meter, until the Alt. field energizes then would the needle swing back to charge at whatever it would be, like just half way between the 0 and the +30? I did do the key "on" and then the headlights and the needle did show a slight discharge. So I thought it was okay, it was doing what the directions said it should do so I cranked the engine and that's when it went way over to discharge.

I tried to install the other Amp. gauge and it was doing things I didn't understand. It may be perfectly fine but since I don't know what it's supposed to be doing, I assume it shows discharge and charge that's about it. Anything else that it might be doing, I don't know what to expect.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
garethrowsell