Am I pumping and cranking too much to start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
An interesting read to me! All of mine, Elderbrock and Q jets, both brand new and old fuel pumps, all take some cranking when left sitting for 4/5 ish or more days. By cranking I mean 10 to 15 seconds. Ran daily or every other day the just crank right up, the 2 elderbrocks with no pumps the Q jets with generally one, done as soon as I hit the key. The 70, "mater" I just pour gas down the carb when he has been sitting, it will never pump up with the starter??
Yeah, if I do one pump after it has been sitting it takes about 4 to 5 seconds to start, a day it's right off the key and pumo. If I double pump then it bogs or it starts really rich and takes a second to get to the right idle

wanderinthru

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Shakey
Truck Year
81, 70, 75, 84, 89
Truck Model
K 10, C 30, K 20
Engine Size
Yeah, if I do one pump after it has been sitting it takes about 4 to 5 seconds to start, a day it's right off the key and pumo. If I double pump then it bogs or it starts really rich and takes a second to get to the right idle

After reading this thread and enjoying a couple beers thinking about it, I'm wondering if alttitude has any affect on this? Got my first square in Waco Texas in prob 88 it was a 78 and wore smooth out...by 92 it was really wore out. Never recall an issue with it starting? Next one I got was another 78 but I was up here west of Amarillo, as I recall it never stared as well as my old one, no matter what I did, (insert time lapse, and several more squares) up to these I have now, and can't recall any of them up here being good starters after left sitting???? Im around 4000 feet.......

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
After reading this thread and enjoying a couple beers thinking about it, I'm wondering if alttitude has any affect on this? Got my first square in Waco Texas in prob 88 it was a 78 and wore smooth out...by 92 it was really wore out. Never recall an issue with it starting? Next one I got was another 78 but I was up here west of Amarillo, as I recall it never stared as well as my old one, no matter what I did, (insert time lapse, and several more squares) up to these I have now, and can't recall any of them up here being good starters after left sitting???? Im around 4000 feet.......
I would think properly tuned to your altitude would make no difference, assuming they were tuned. I am pretty much at sea level, so my atmospheric pressure is normal for what it would and should be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bhardiman1