Alternator amps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

longbeach

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is there a way to tell what alternator came on the truck originally. It's an 86 K20 Silverado with A/C. Nothing else unusual. I've put a couple of Generic brand 78 amp alternators in and they drop off voltage when running lights, Heater on #3, wipers. I've replaced the blower motor, resistor and relay. Also the the headlight switch. Do I need more amps or a higher priced alternator. Thanks

F-64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 lwb
Engine Size
5.7 tbi stock
what rpm does the voltage drop at?? idle??
I put a smaller pulley on mine to increase voltage at idle.

Last edited:

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
The 78 amp would be standard w/AC. Is the alt. pulley large, smaller pulley will spin it faster? Old wires could have more resistance. You can check them with a voltage drop test to each component.

Aftermarket anything can be a problem. Rockauto lists a 94 amp for your truck as one of the replacements. I don't know if it is any better than what you have.

Do you have an alternator test meter? Many auto parts stores will run the test free.

longbeach

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Yes, mostly at idle. Sometimes drips right off to like 8 volts. Turn things off it will come back up. I replaced it probably a year and a half ago and seemed okay. Just started acting up again. I'll take it down to Oreilly's let them test it. Good ideas. The smaller pulley might do the trick. It's a crate engine was installed before I bought the truck. Has a mini serpentine pulley on it. So, who knows if that's right or not.

Last edited:

F-64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
R10 lwb
Engine Size
5.7 tbi stock
I think this is the smaller pulley that I got.

My idle voltage with the high beams on is 14.2v. I've also increased my wire sizes going to my starter, alternator, ground and bulkhead buss bar.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Is there a way to tell what alternator came on the truck originally. It's an 86 K20 Silverado with A/C. Nothing else unusual. I've put a couple of Generic brand 78 amp alternators in and they drop off voltage when running lights, Heater on #3, wipers. I've replaced the blower motor, resistor and relay. Also the the headlight switch. Do I need more amps or a higher priced alternator. Thanks
Switching to a CS130 (stock option on 1987 trucks, not sure about 1986) would almost certainly fix your issue and give you a better alternator. Do you have V belts or a small "serpentine like" belt or a serpentine belt?

longbeach

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Thanks for the info on Pulley. I have a small serpentine like belt.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thanks for the info on Pulley. I have a small serpentine like belt.
You must be registered for see images attach

Does your alternator look like this
And does your belt for that only go around the crank, water pump, and is tensioned by the alternator?

Snoots

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy Sierra
Engine Size
The newer AD230 is great for keeping everything charged at low RPM's. You'll need an adapter from Powermaster tho.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The newer AD230 is great for keeping everything charged at low RPM's. You'll need an adapter from Powermaster tho.
Fully agree. If it wasnt for the added weight on the v belt style brackets could potentially cause twisting on tbe brackets, id say go right for a ad244 lol. If one decides to do that, probably best to include a 3rd way to brace the alternator from the rear to the head/block/water pump lol

longbeach

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Aurora Girl, my alternator does look like that and belt goes around alternator, crank, water pump..

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Aurora Girl, my alternator does look like that and belt goes around alternator, crank, water pump..
So unfortunaterly, slighhtly, you have a rarer belt setup. Could you send a picture of your belt drive, I want to see if its the narrow looking serpentine like belt or if its the normal width kind.

longbeach

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Sorry been busy last few days. I really feel like the alternator has some sort of dead spot. Gonna have it tested. If I need a new one probably go with 94 amp. Also I need to measure diameter of pulley.

Attachments

• IMG_1340.jpeg
    IMG_1340.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1338.jpeg
    IMG_1338.jpeg
    103.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1337.jpeg
    IMG_1337.jpeg
    114.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1336.jpeg
    IMG_1336.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 17

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
Sorry been busy last few days. I really feel like the alternator has some sort of dead spot. Gonna have it tested. If I need a new one probably go with 94 amp. Also I need to measure diameter of pulley.
Nobody really makes a good readily available option. I would recommend that you look around and see if you can find a motor rewinder locally. They are usually right around the same cost as buying a new one, but they actually care about doing a good job and using quality parts. Not sure where you are located in Maine, but I see several with a Quick google search with great reviews. Clements Starter and Alternator repair, Buko, G & E, etc...

Your symptoms sound like a bad battery or bad connections BTW. The battery shouldn't be dropping below 12 volts regardless of what the alternator is doing for at least several minutes.

longbeach

Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
So, after checking a bunch of connections and testing the battery and alternator which both tested good. still had problem. I really felt it was an intermittent problem with alternator and it just wasn't happening when they tested it. Luckily, I convinced the staff at O'reilly's and they warrantied it and gave me a new one. Problem solved. Thanks to all for replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MenDeeZee