All lights work except brake lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Hey GM squarebody,
I recently picked up a 1987 v20 and I have an electrical question. The taillights work, as well as the blinkers, although they do blink fast/irregular speed. But I cannot get the brake lights to work. Meaning when im braking, the light bulb doesnt illuminate and get brighter. I checked the fuse and its good. And I dont think it could be a ground issue because the light bulb still works as a blinker and running light? Both of the brake lights on either side dont work. Neither do the reverse lights but im not too worried about those. Could the brake light switch at the pedal be bad since they both dont work? Thanks in advance!

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
i would check the brake light switch by either checking the resistance using a multimeter if you have one or i believe you can jump the plug and see if the lights light up then it is a faulty switch if not it is either in the wiring from the switch to the lights also there should be a round plug behind the bumper with four wires going into it this is for both tailights it could be that the pins inside the plug are corroded causing poor to no connection

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
I checked the four wire plug today and they all looked good. Still gotta go buy a multimeter to check the rest. Sorry if this is a stupid question but what do you mean by "jump the plug" ? I have very limited electrical knowledge.

87silveradok20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Levi
Truck Year
Truck Model
Silverado k20
Engine Size
I checked the four wire plug today and they all looked good. Still gotta go buy a multimeter to check the rest. Sorry if this is a stupid question but what do you mean by "jump the plug" ? I have very limited electrical knowledge.

i think he means run another power to the wire on the output of the plug

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
I had this same problem. It ended up being the hazard light relay. I pulled it out and trapped it on the truck bed pretty hard and I've had break lights ever since.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Okay. Maybe I'll try that! But my hazards work currently. Did your hazard lights not work?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Hazards did work at the time.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Have you tried bypassing the brake switch? All that is remove the two wires and connect them with a paper clip or something.

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
How would I do that? Wouldnt I have to cut the wires? And I have very limited electrical knowledge so where was the hazard light relay located on your truck? Thanks for your help

GTME94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Truck Year
Truck Model
C2500 C6P Camper Special
Engine Size
454/TH400/14bff 3.73
One other thing to think about is that the power for the brake lights goes through the turn signal switch. The brake light and turn signal light power the same secondary filament of the bulb.

If the neither of the turn signals is on, the brake light power from the brake switch goes to both Left and Right rear bulbs. If you have the left turn signal on and then press the brake, the turn signal switch interrupts the brake light power to the left bulb so that it blinks and vice-versa for the right turn signal. If you don't have the brake pressed it sends power to the proper bulb for the turn signal.

I had a brake light problem this summer where my left brake light didn't come on at all. I had to replace the turn signal switch and now both brake lights work fine.

Changing the turn signal switch is kind of a pain because you have to remove the steering wheel and take apart the top part of the steering column but it's not that hard. There is a good thread on here to walk you through it if that's what you end up having to do.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Start with the brake switch under the dash. It is located just above the brake pedal.
You must be registered for see images

87sierra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra 2500
Engine Size
5.7L 350 TBI
by jumping the plug you eliminate the swithc kinda like putting a paper clip in the supply power to the outlet side of the plug that goes to the brakelights is what i mean

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
so would I just use a paperclip and jump the two inner prongs on that switch? Which prongs do I have to connect out of the 4 from the picture in post #11?

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Unplug one connector at a time. Put a paper clip in the two connections. The brake light should light up if the switch is the issue

hambo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
Checked the brake light switch and the lights didnt light up even when I connected them with a paperclip. so that rules out it being the switch. So I guess I'll check the hazard relay if I can find it and the wiring too this weekend.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
86sunnyguy