All gauges are wonky...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Just getting my new (to me) 83 K20 moving again, and I'm needing a bit of help regarding my gauges. Here's what I have:
  • Volt meter - Needle never moves from 0
  • Oil pressure - Needle never returns to 0, only moves a tiny bit (between 60-65)
  • Temperature - Needle never returns to 0, indicated beyond 260 and moves from there as the engine warms up
  • Fuel gauge - Gauge only reads 1/4 when full.

Could all of these issues be related? Maybe a ground? I would think if the ground had gone south, I wouldn't get anything, but maybe not?

I'll be looking into it in more detail when get home.

Thanks in advance!

Scott91370

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Truck Year
Truck Model
Sierra1500
Engine Size
My first guess would be ground. If you pull the gauges there is a ground bar on the left side, I think it holds 8). Good place to start.

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
My first guess would be ground. If you pull the gauges there is a ground bar on the left side, I think it holds 8). Good place to start.

Roger that, thanks! I'll try pulling tonight...

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
Make sure the harness is making a good connection at the back of the gauge cluster. I've had that come loose on a prior truck causing little to no connection.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I was gonna say it sounds like the gauges aren’t properly being applied to their respective circuits and by that I believe most gauges on the truck are resistors in the wiring circuit they belong to, correct?
Also,does your illumination work properly? Is there a functional clock? Where does fuel gauge go when key off

does any dumb lights work, do you have working brake, 4wd, choke, and.. uh.. whatever the other light is. Turn signals? High beam?

edit: seatbelt. Seatbelt warning light. Unless you’re a diesel with glow and water indicator

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
Make sure the harness is making a good connection at the back of the gauge cluster. I've had that come loose on a prior truck causing little to no connection.

I'll probably find out when I get home, but is that something I can check without removing the gauge panel?

Thanks!

Old60Driver

1983 K20 Silverado
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 Silverado
Engine Size
I was gonna say it sounds like the gauges aren’t properly being applied to their respective circuits and by that I believe most gauges on the truck are resistors in the wiring circuit they belong to, correct?
Also,does your illumination work properly? Is there a functional clock? Where does fuel gauge go when key off

does any dumb lights work, do you have working brake, 4wd, choke, and.. uh.. whatever the other light is. Turn signals? High beam?

edit: seatbelt. Seatbelt warning light. Unless you’re a diesel with glow and water indicator

Illumination is dim, but seems to be working. Clock isn't working, no. I believe the fuel gauge moves toward the empty mark, but I can't say for certain. I'll check when I get home

4WD light works, as does the brake (emergency) and the seat belt signal.

Thanks!

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Illumination is dim, but seems to be working. Clock isn't working, no. I believe the fuel gauge moves toward the empty mark, but I can't say for certain. I'll check when I get home

4WD light works, as does the brake (emergency) and the seat belt signal.

Thanks!
Those are discrete inputs I believe, so it would make sense. I think. , yes , they would not get a dim signal just an illuminate or not. I would definitely be looking at your ground and in the process you would have to check your connector anyway so good time to verify all the contacts look good, clean with swabs, make sure nothing. Bent

Bextreme04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25
Engine Size
350-4bbl
On my truck, 4wd has its own separate wiring that does not go through the regular cluster connector. The seat belt and brake light go through the regular cluster connector.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
On my truck, 4wd has its own separate wiring that does not go through the regular cluster connector. The seat belt and brake light go through the regular cluster connector.
Well at least seat belt snd brake are working. I domt know under what circumstance a choke light goes on, looks like key on, no oil pressure?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flynhigh88