ALDL connector not powering scan tool

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwernatl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
V10
Engine Size
5.7ltr
I would like to recommend a little hardware, and a little software to you for ECM monitoring of your truck.... the baud (communication) rate is slow (as in, frames per second), BUT, its soooo much cooler than a standard plug in thingy.

You can perform data logs, dump them, open them in microsoft office to see where you're losing power, or in general get an idea of your engine health, sensor readings, or status.

Its much cheaper than paying 300$ for an older OBD1 tool.

For me, i used it on my 89 to tune out the spark knock, diagnose i had a vacuum leak (map kpa), etc etc.

Iirc, it even shows spark advance on the data sheet.

The app (for android) is called ALDLDroid. It costs 10$ in the app.
WELL worth it.
Link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sgiroux.aldldroid

It allows bluetooth interface to the device that im about to tell you about, which obviously, in turn, your phones display is the "ecm output" of your truck.

The hardware:

http://www.1320electronics.com/12pin_ALDL_BT_USB_MK2.html
They have an ebay store.

This hardware and software package will also double as an obd2 tool. It can also tune a obd 1 ECM's, but it will require a aftermarket ECM that can be tuned.
(The current way to tune a stock ecm is to burn a prom chip everytime you make a change, like an old CD-R)

The upgraded, tuneable ECM is on my list of things i want, but for now, being able to see actual ECM data makes all the differencr in the world.

These old tbi units are just old enough to be "junk" by all the internet experts, but "too new" for the carb guys so they usually get ripped off and replaced with a carb, or get canned completely, and replaced with a LS.

Both are stupid. Im sorry, but its stupid to throw away something you dont understand.

With 100$ in equipment, diagnosing is so much easier.
The data is Live obviously.

If you wanted to pursue that route let me know when you get it . I have the ECM file you need for your motor, and i can show you how to setup the switch pins of the module so it'll communicate with your phone.

This is right up my alley!
Ill order the tool. And download the program on a tablet that I have.

Ok for me to contact you for advice?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Hey All - thanks for any replies!

My 87 v10 350 ALDL connector is not powering up my scan tool -

I'm using a INNOVA 3170rs tscan tool to help diagnose my 'issues' - truck is running rich - idle is up and down ect. (I found a vacuum leak - got that taken care of, but the truck is still is not up to performance.

I know the ecm is reading the MAP, O2, TPS, COOLANT, VSS and MAT sensors. -

- I want to read my codes - but---

The scan tool is supposed to power up when you turn ignition to 'on' - it doesn't - is there a fuse? could it be my ecm?

I've got 5 terminals in my connector - all on the top row. looking at the service manual - it's right -

where should I start looking? ground?? ecm faulty? fuse??

thanks all.
I do believe an innova would be large enough to have its own power supply as I’m not sure if complex diagnostic work could be powered by rhe ALDL in that year. Remember, in 87 most gm dealerships were using a cart with a CRT monitor and I don’t know what year but tech 1 was new ****. The port may just not supply a power line from factory since a CAMS station would be powered by infrastructure electrical.
Also, do know your data stream will be limited and only update once per second. With such few sensors it would honestly be cheaper to just buy that many DVOMs.

but, do know, there IS an important function of he AB pins. Test mode/diagnostic mode. Your codes, If present, will flash and you can count the light.

the reason I say they may not have powered over the aldl, computer technology was aRapidly expanding. And in 1985,86 when your truck as it stood was developed, a tool capable of a theoretical 1990;release of the next model, let’s say, may have very well lowered its energy requirements and also doubled, maybe tripled functionality.

how? Technology, microchips, and 10 years later, microprocessors. More and more complex circuitry accomplished in less space, less energy wasted to heat, more efficient runs, etc just overall less juice

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
This is right up my alley!
Ill order the tool. And download the program on a tablet that I have.

Ok for me to contact you for advice?

Yes. Dm for my number. You can call if you'd like when you get it.

dusterdude

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc c15
Engine Size
It worked. Swapped a new coolant temp sensor - cleared ecm - and mam o man. That exhaust smelled so much better!

Thank you to all you smart sombeaches. You guys make me a better man!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach
Cool dog

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

Vbb199

B-rate Hillbilly Customs
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Truck Year
89, 79
Truck Model
89 Suburban R1500, 79 C10
Engine Size
350, 502
I do believe an innova would be large enough to have its own power supply as I’m not sure if complex diagnostic work could be powered by rhe ALDL in that year. Remember, in 87 most gm dealerships were using a cart with a CRT monitor and I don’t know what year but tech 1 was new ****. The port may just not supply a power line from factory since a CAMS station would be powered by infrastructure electrical.
Also, do know your data stream will be limited and only update once per second. With such few sensors it would honestly be cheaper to just buy that many DVOMs.

but, do know, there IS an important function of he AB pins. Test mode/diagnostic mode. Your codes, If present, will flash and you can count the light.

the reason I say they may not have powered over the aldl, computer technology was aRapidly expanding. And in 1985,86 when your truck as it stood was developed, a tool capable of a theoretical 1990;release of the next model, let’s say, may have very well lowered its energy requirements and also doubled, maybe tripled functionality.

how? Technology, microchips, and 10 years later, microprocessors. More and more complex circuitry accomplished in less space, less energy wasted to heat, more efficient runs, etc just overall less juice

His pinout is the same as my 89, i pull live data from the ecm thru it
Just a slow baud rate

However, the aforementioned (linked) plug i sent requires a 12v source from the cigarette lighter

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
builder100