Air tank for bag set up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
Ya my dually is chopped up right now and I have a pile or air ride parts laying here waiting to go on. Just need to get my tanks now. My bags are rated at 500 PSI but I'll only be running about 180 psi. I just wanted a tank to go to 200 in case my pressure switch ever fails and the compressor keeps running since it's capable of build 200psi.
As for the 20lbs propane tanks I've read that they are usually filled to 177psi. That also might have been LP tanks. So I might need to get LP tanks or something. Still trying to find out for sure.
Dude my Pete is Air ride and so is my trailer and when Im loaded @ 80000# my truck air bag is only 64psi and trailer is 68psi. When im empty @ 31000# my truck air bag is only 19psi and trailer is 14psi. I know my Pete is a much larger vehicle but do air ride kits for 1 tons or 1/2 tons require that much pressure to keep it at ride hieght?

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
I really couldn't tell you for sure. The only thing I could think is maybe the difference in types of bags used and volume of air held within the bag. In my last bagged truck, a Mazda B2200 ext cab, 40 PSI wouldn't even lift the front end off of the ground. There is a big difference in Bag design also. Big rigs run a very stiff type of "Sleeve" Bag that kind of rolls around the base of the bag. The normal type of bags we use on trucks aren't the "Sleeve" type of bags, but in stead a double or triple convoluted bag.
That would be my best guesses as to why the pressure difference is needed, but again this is my assumption.

J Knight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
82 Chevy
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
350ci
I really couldn't tell you for sure. The only thing I could think is maybe the difference in types of bags used and volume of air held within the bag. In my last bagged truck, a Mazda B2200 ext cab, 40 PSI wouldn't even lift the front end off of the ground. There is a big difference in Bag design also. Big rigs run a very stiff type of "Sleeve" Bag that kind of rolls around the base of the bag. The normal type of bags we use on trucks aren't the "Sleeve" type of bags, but in stead a double or triple convoluted bag.
That would be my best guesses as to why the pressure difference is needed, but again this is my assumption.
I never thought of that but you are right, my Pete has the sleeve type bag wich would mean more surface area inside the bag and would require less pressure to lift.

I was going to suggest getting a couple of used big truck air tanks but the truck tanks are only filled to 120-130 psi. I dont know if they are rated for more than that or not.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
I talked to an old friend today that's in the HVAC business. I ran a couple of my tank ideas by him, and he pulled out a couple of tanks they use for recovering the refrigerant out of systems. He said they only use them for a short period and then pitch them. I think it exactly what I'm looking for. The tanks are about the size of a 20lbs propane tank, have a burst pressure of WELL over 200 PSI, and are already a 2 or more port tank. I'm just waiting now to see if he can grab me a couple from work in the next couple of days. Hopefully these things will work for what I need.

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
wow that is some killer info and answered a lot of questions about using a propane tank. Looks like I can use a couple of propane tanks for a grill and have plenty of pressure capability. That should save me a couple hundred bucks. Thank you

Bagged Dually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
CUMMINS 12 valve
Mostly because I'm trying to get about 6 to 10 gallons of storage space. The small prefabbed air tanks are cheap but a 5 gallon tank is about 75 bucks plus shipping. I think I know a friend that can hook me up with 3 or 4 propane tanks for next to nothing. That should give me plenty of storage and not have much of an investment. Also since their going to be mounted under the truck I don't care to much what it looks like. Plus I'd just rather build something than buy it any day LoL.