Air Filter parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Cleaning up my air clearer housing and wanted to find out if anyone knew where I can find these parts.....if possible.

Thanks.

You must be registered for see images attach

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
The part on the left is the thermostatic air control ( or Thermac sensor ) and its common to many GM vehicles. Its temp sensor controls the vacuum to the small motor that moves the air cleaner snorkel flapper. There should be a parts number on it and it should match a current number if you do a google search. However, folks on eBay seem to think these sensors are made of gold, so you might just test yours and end up reusing it.

The other item is the filter where you connect the hose running down to the valve cover vent for the PCV. I think it’s still available as a standard part. However, you could just clean it up with degreaser and reinstall the same filter. It just keeps oil vapor from coming up into the air cleaner. The air is going from the air cleaner and down to the valve cover, so it should stay relatively clean.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Thanks so much. I looked for a part number on the sensor and could not find one. I will look again.......closer. And so the hunt begins.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
The part on the left is the thermostatic air control ( or Thermac sensor ) and its common to many GM vehicles. Its temp sensor controls the vacuum to the small motor that moves the air cleaner snorkel flapper. There should be a parts number on it and it should match a current number if you do a google search. However, folks on eBay seem to think these sensors are made of gold, so you might just test yours and end up reusing it.

The other item is the filter where you connect the hose running down to the valve cover vent for the PCV. I think it’s still available as a standard part. However, you could just clean it up with degreaser and reinstall the same filter. It just keeps oil vapor from coming up into the air cleaner. The air is going from the air cleaner and down to the valve cover, so it should stay relatively clean.
is the thermac sensor a coil of wire... i dont undersand how its powered without a signal to it. it does have a vacuum.. wait.. i cant remember. how does it sense

that other filter can actually be found NOS a lot. some air cleaners didnt use that. dpeends on the system

FB59 is a still made replacement that might fit your housing, some differences were made and the part numbers overtime probably supersceded but still worked in older hosuings so yeah

75gmck25

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Truck Year
Truck Model
K25 Camper Special TH350 NP203
Engine Size
Engine Vacuum is applied to one side of the two ports on that sensor, and when it’s cold it allows vacuum to pass through the sensor and be applied to the vacuum motor for the flapper.

I assume there is some type of coil inside the sensor, and once the sensor warms up it must uncoil and plug off the connection between the two vacuum ports. That allows the flapper to move down and the air cleaner pulls in cold air. Just my best guess.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Engine Vacuum is applied to one side of the two ports on that sensor, and when it’s cold it allows vacuum to pass through the sensor and be applied to the vacuum motor for the flapper.

I assume there is some type of coil inside the sensor, and once the sensor warms up it must uncoil and plug off the connection between the two vacuum ports. That allows the flapper to move down and the air cleaner pulls in cold air. Just my best guess.
I accept your logic. I think I have an air cleaner with it broken and missing the top part and the coil, I recall pegs that a coil would mount in and twist about

At least those are the things i tell myself to sleep at night.
Uncomfortable truths are most uncomfortable, must not think them

PrairieDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mason
Truck Year
Truck Model
Suburban k10, bonanza k10, c30 C&C, c10, gmc 1/2ton
Engine Size
350, 350, 350, 350, 350
Napa has that little air filter for the pcv in stock.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Sooooo, next dumb question. Is there a right and wrong way to reinstall the thermal sensor?

Pmac

Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Truck Year
1980 & 1981
Truck Model
C2500 Suburban & C1500 Pick Up
Engine Size
350M & 305H
The Thermac sensor vents vacuum as the Air Cleaner warms up - this reduces the negative pressure at the snorkel vacuum motor and the internal spring (in the vacuum motor) opens the door to allow fresh air to be drawn in - the system is a little counter intuitive but it is critical that the door opens as intended, a FSM ( section 6E I think) will have a temperature range for the sensor, and one of those nifty little red dot thermometers is just the ticket for that job.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
I have a question about the damper position for the Thermac. I have tested the Thermac with a vacuum tester and it closes with vacuum. So, i need clarification as to the damper position when the engine is started and cold - Is damper open or closed? Mine is open on cold start, so taking air from the stove pipe and outside. Once it idles down, the damper is still in open position. Is this correct? I do not have the air filter in place and the cover is being powder coated. Should I have these in place to verify if working?

Craig 85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Craig
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
454/TH-400/NP205
If the engine is cold, the vacuum will close the damper unlit the engine is warmed up. It should only be pulling air from the heat stove, not from the end of the snorkel. Once the thermal switch has warmed up, it should break the vacuum and the damper should stay open.

My78truck

'Ol Holly
Reaction score
First Name
Becky
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 Silverado
Engine Size
5.7L
Hmmmmm, not sure what is going on. I will have to wait until I get the air filter house top back and try again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
504SquareBody