Air Die Grinder Bits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yes, you can buy your air HAND tools. But, the shop supplies the regulated air.

oneluckypops

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Luke
Truck Year
Truck Model
K30 SRW
Engine Size
5.7 Fuel injected Vortec/ 4L80E
How about if I just buy for my toolbox since all auto repair shops want to have your own air tools anyways.

Dave I see way to many threads about buying this and that for school. Heres an Idea.

QUIT BUYING EVERYTHING AT ONCE, NOT 1 tech that i know have bought all there own tools at 1 time. Your student discount may seem worth it at the time but I assure you there are alot better deals buying your tools USED as you can afford them.

Most techs that are still turning wrenches are STILL buying tools even after 20 years, just make a list of the things you think you want and the things you HAVE to have. Concentrate on the things you HAVE to have FIRST. After you have completed your training and have found a full time job get settled in and start buying your WANTS SLOWLY.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Dave I see way to many threads about buying this and that for school. Heres an Idea.

QUIT BUYING EVERYTHING AT ONCE, NOT 1 tech that i know have bought all there own tools at 1 time. Your student discount may seem worth it at the time but I assure you there are alot better deals buying your tools USED as you can afford them.

Most techs that are still turning wrenches are STILL buying tools even after 20 years, just make a list of the things you think you want and the things you HAVE to have. Concentrate on the things you HAVE to have FIRST. After you have completed your training and have found a full time job get settled in and start buying your WANTS SLOWLY.

Great Advice right there !!!

Just curious, I see you getting lots of good advice from members Dave. How much of it do you really take to heart and follow???

towman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v10
Engine Size
been in the business 30 yrs now and still buying tools,

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Great Advice right there !!!

Just curious, I see you getting lots of good advice from members Dave. How much of it do you really take to heart and follow???

Well I took yours and retros advice to replace the cman ratchets with snapon, and snapon flex ratchets per Bucket(I think).

Right now working buying alot brakes tools, sockets up to 36m or 1 1/2 and working finding a oil filter wrench set. My teacher said entry level position at auto repair shop is doing oil changes or brakes so the shop mgr knows what you can do.

If I need to bigger than 1 1/2 and 36m let me know now.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
If you take care of your tools and you keep them in a safe place and good track of them, you'll have them forever provided you're buying lifetime warranty tools. Chances are you'll use them someday even if only for your own projects, but if I were you, I'd only concentrate on the basic hand tools for now. You can buy some brake tools since that is where you're at in school obviously, but I don't use brake tools. I use channelocs, screwdrivers and prybars. I do have brake tools, but I was already so aclamated with regular tools when I bought the brake tools, I found I am better with regular hand tools than I am with brake tools. I haven't touched my brake tools in over 20 years.
But, just saying, I wouldn't spend the family farm on buying tools. Just because you are going to school for auto tech, doesn't mean its going to be your career of choice. You might find its not your cup of tea. Working at a shop as an oil change tech for just over minimum wage isn't going to justify having $10-$15K in tools sitting up in a nice polished Snap On box at a Jiffy Lube or Walmart service center.
Also, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, and certainly WILL NEVER EVER tell anyone not to attend school of any kind whatsoever even if its a class on how to shovel **** the proper way. No matter what, education is education even if you only grasp 50% of it, so I'm not telling you to quit school at all and don't take it that way. But, you want to learn how to work on a vehicles? Get you a fuggin squarebody truck and start working on ****. Hands on, learning at your own pace as you can afford, and researching your own answers when you get stuck, you'll learn much more that way than in any class. The only thing you'll learn in class, is the **** you need to know to pass an ASE test. I kid you not, I know a guy that is ASE God. He has about every damn ASE cert I know of, and he can't work on a vehicle to save his life. He's book smart, but not mechanical at all. So, he makes a great service writer at a dealership and that is what he does. A carbed square is about as basic as you can get, parts are cheap, and parts are plentiful, they are old enough to be cheap to tag and insure. I'll guarentee you, a better education for less money by you getting a square and actually working on it than what you'll get out of going to school, and you'll have something to show for it when done other than a piece of paper and patch that says ASE on it.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Its kobalt one that the school has. I got a air hammer made by AmPro 2000 series.

so you're using cheap tools... my Matco RL910A with a rivet splitter chisel will completely strip a square frame to bare rails and crossmembers in about 20 minutes.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
so you're using cheap tools... my Matco RL910A with a rivet splitter chisel will completely strip a square frame to bare rails and crossmembers in about 20 minutes.

Matco doesnt even sell that air hammer. Do you know what model replaced it?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
As little as I have a use for an air hammer, I can usually get the job done with a cheap one, it just takes longer. I think what like matters more, is the quality of the bit. I've had some cheap ass bits on a cheap ass air hammer go dull and wouldn't make a hole in a dirt clod. Put a good bit on the cheap air hammer and it got it done in a fair amount of time. You've only got 4 rivets on each bj, so 3-4 minutes each instead of 1 minute isn't that big of a deal and justify the expense of a high dollar air hammer that yo might use 2x a year. If you use it alot, then by all means, spend the cash.

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
If you take care of your tools and you keep them in a safe place and good track of them, you'll have them forever provided you're buying lifetime warranty tools. Chances are you'll use them someday even if only for your own projects, but if I were you, I'd only concentrate on the basic hand tools for now. You can buy some brake tools since that is where you're at in school obviously, but I don't use brake tools. I use channelocs, screwdrivers and prybars. I do have brake tools, but I was already so aclamated with regular tools when I bought the brake tools, I found I am better with regular hand tools than I am with brake tools. I haven't touched my brake tools in over 20 years.
But, just saying, I wouldn't spend the family farm on buying tools. Just because you are going to school for auto tech, doesn't mean its going to be your career of choice. You might find its not your cup of tea. Working at a shop as an oil change tech for just over minimum wage isn't going to justify having $10-$15K in tools sitting up in a nice polished Snap On box at a Jiffy Lube or Walmart service center.
Also, I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, and certainly WILL NEVER EVER tell anyone not to attend school of any kind whatsoever even if its a class on how to shovel **** the proper way. No matter what, education is education even if you only grasp 50% of it, so I'm not telling you to quit school at all and don't take it that way. But, you want to learn how to work on a vehicles? Get you a fuggin squarebody truck and start working on ****. Hands on, learning at your own pace as you can afford, and researching your own answers when you get stuck, you'll learn much more that way than in any class. The only thing you'll learn in class, is the **** you need to know to pass an ASE test. I kid you not, I know a guy that is ASE God. He has about every damn ASE cert I know of, and he can't work on a vehicle to save his life. He's book smart, but not mechanical at all. So, he makes a great service writer at a dealership and that is what he does. A carbed square is about as basic as you can get, parts are cheap, and parts are plentiful, they are old enough to be cheap to tag and insure. I'll guarentee you, a better education for less money by you getting a square and actually working on it than what you'll get out of going to school, and you'll have something to show for it when done other than a piece of paper and patch that says ASE on it.

:word: i started spinning wrenches at 9 years old. by the time i made it to auto shop in high school, there were alot of things that i was the instructor's assistant on, because i had been doing it on my own for several years and already knew what i was doing... got to college, and the same thing happened. truth be known, in the 3 years that i was going to school for this, i learned very little. i got bored with it, so i quit. decided to find my calling somewhere else, and stumbled into a few things that i have enjoyed since then. i've sold parts (both at a GM store, and at a mom and pop parts store (which was also an AC Delco distributor), i've built motorhomes and travel trailers on a production line, i've repaired them, i've custom built motorhomes, and now i build custom heavy duty tow trucks.

some of the guys i went to school with had NO clue about anything. we're talking guys who couldn't properly identify a ratchet. just because you go to school for something doesn't mean that you're going to be good at it. point in case, i carry an RVIA certification for RV repair and modification. i have worked with a guy who carried the exact same certification... i could remove an entire outer sidewall without issue, and replace it within RVIA code... my coworker? could not figure out how to remove the window shades to access the window screws... once the shade was out of the way, he still couldn't figure out how to get the window out... despite the 40+ screws staring him right in the face holding the retainer ring to the window, sandwiching the window in place on the wall...

just because you can pass a test does not mean you're capable of doing anything other than taking a test.

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

GreaseDog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
1977 K20
Truck Model
1980 K2500
Engine Size
Sumbish outta work. Looks like a damn jack hammer for knocking down full scale bridges. You can take down the Goldan Gate with that fuggin thing @ 90psi. :happy175:

and a hell of a lot cheaper than the $329 i paid for it years ago.

davbell22602

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
David
Truck Year
I Dont
Truck Model
Have
Engine Size
One
Boy, this thread got hijacked. What happened to air die grinder bits?

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Boy, this thread got hijacked. What happened to air die grinder bits?

Lets see?? is that request to clean it up??? Not gonna happen by me. The topic has gone from WHY are asking about Die Grinder Bits to you're removing rivets for ball joints, to an air hammer is the best method, and much better than Die Grinder Bits. If you're taling about porting and polishing heads, then I'd agree, cuz you sure wouldn't use an air hammer to port heads.. or would you????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nathanjohnson85