Air conditioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan427

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Sounds like you did it thouroughly this time. What did you use for a vacuum pump? Anyone know if AZ, O'Reilys or Advanced do a tool loaner program on a Vac Pump? I was going to make one out of an old house unit AC compressor, but it appears I must have scrapped it by accident last year when I did some spring cleaning around the yard and shed. :nutkick:

My mechanic is also a friend so we did a "lunch and learn". He let me use his machine and supervised to make sure I was doing it right. Occasionally, he'll let me use a bay in his shop to tackle things I want to save some money on. I still pay him a small fee for his time. I know Harbor Freight sells vac pumps and gauges for a good deal. This has been a good lesson for me. I know a lot more about auto air conditioning and, when to let a trained pro handle something. Still a believer in saving money by doing some work you are capable of doing yourself. Man I'm learnin...

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
I used to use the engine as a vac pump for drawing down the a/c. :shitsweak:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73

Guardian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
c 10
Engine Size
THe dodge sure as hell might have!! (but I wouldn't)

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yah, it was a Dodge, who cares? :crazy:

THe dodge sure as hell might have!! (but I wouldn't)

:happy175: :laughing1: :rofl:

That's good **** right there, I don't care whoya are !!! :High 5:

I see you got yourself out of Time Out 89S !!!

attachment.php

Attachments

• 89SDodge.jpg
    89SDodge.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 565

89Suburban

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Paw Paw
Truck Year
Truck Model
Chevrolet Tahoe LT
Engine Size
5.3, 4WD
Yeah, I didn't want to push my limit, lol...

Brandon

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Then, I realized the rookie mistake I made the first time: I hadn't flushed the evaporator nor the condenser. I should have taken a picture of the gunk that flushed out of both of these components. I thought by "flushing the system" the first time all I needed to flush were the lines. Stupid mistake man. Went through 2 cans of flush and a lot of air to get everything clean.
I am going to try this myself within a couple weeks. Im converting as well and was following you until you started talking about flushing the evaporator and condenser. didn't you say you replaced the evaporator and condenser? What chemical did you use to flush them? Does vacuming the system fully clean the lines or did you have to remove them to manually clean them out? Thank you so much...Great thread

Last edited:

ryan427

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Hey Brandon check out this link for a diagram of an automotive air conditioner:
http://www.red-dragon-airconditioning.com/www.red-dragon-airconditioning.coms/info.php?p=11

The condenser is located close to the radiator. The evaporator is on the firewall/behind your dash. You'll see the AC lines that connect to it. It's the part that people cringe when they have to replace it (if it leaks). I am told they rarely leak in these squarebody trucks.

As far as the flush, I used some stuff I had bought from Autozone: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...263m?itemIdentifier=326078&_requestid=5178600

They have a couple of different brands on the shelf. After you spray the flush in the condenser and evaporator, you'll need to use compressed air to blow it out thoroughly. When you pull vac, you pull the air and most particulates out but some oil/refrigerant will remain. Flushing ensures you start with a clean system especially since you are converting.

I am no expert. Had a lot of help from my mechanic (needed more on the first round obviously). Good luck and look forward to having cold air soon. :High 5:

ryan427

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Brandon: Your truck probably doesn't have a receiver/drier. Probably just an accumulator. Saw that in the diagram I sent you.

Brandon

Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban
Engine Size
6.2L Diesel
Thank you so much for the info Ryan. Im sorry you had to re-replace parts from not flushing but i appriciate you saving me the aggravation and money. Let me ask you one more question. I am planing on replacing the A/C Compresser, A/C Orifice Tube, and A/C Accumulator. Should i use the flush kit before or after i replace these parts and flush the whole system at once or should i flush the parts in not replacing one by one while i have the A/C system apart? I live right on the coast and the humidity has been ridiculous this summer. Thanks again Ryan

ryan427

Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I am planing on replacing the A/C Compresser, A/C Orifice Tube, and A/C Accumulator. Should i use the flush kit before or after i replace these parts and flush the whole system at once or should i flush the parts in not replacing one by one while i have the A/C system apart?

No problem Brandon. Flushing each component can only be done when the system is open. While you have the lines disconnected from the compressor, disconnect the other ends too and then remove and flush. Flush the evaporator and condensor etc. When you go back with the new accumulator, keep the caps on it until the very moment you connect the lines to it. Make sure the system is all connected before you install the accumulator. It's a bag filter inside with beads of desiccant that absorb moisture. You can ruin a new accumulator if you leave the caps off too long. Cool pic of inside an accumulator here: http://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...side-c-accumulator-look-like-pics-inside.html Sorry it's from a Ford forum :yucky:

Have a professional pull vac for 30-45 minutes. Then charge with the proper amount of R134A (about 80% of the R12 amount). Get some help with the capacity too. Some mechanics fill it until the pressure reads 200 psi. Others say that there is a specific capacity for a reason. Man I don't begin to know how to argue either point. Good luck. Maybe you'll trash the compressor or maybe it will run fine for 5 years. Hoping for the best for you and your truck.

almorzuch

Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Truck Year
Truck Model
r1500
Engine Size
Remans on r4s don't last long. I always buy new and have no trouble. If you want the front air to work better, use a red orifice tube from a ford pu. Yea I know, it takes a ford part to fix the ac properly.

v2500burb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Truck Year
Truck Model
v2500
Engine Size
350ci
Any trouble shooting threads on compressor...
It kicked on when I bought the truck
But won't now...
Help before it gets HOT!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
In MOST cases, a situation like that is, the freon has leaked out and the Low Pressure switch has disabled the compressor, OR the switch itself has gone bad. you can check that by running a jumper at the low pressure switch and see if the compressor comes on then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RNFL