Air cleaners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Denvernic

Reaction score
First Name
Denver
Truck Year
Truck Model
K5
Engine Size
350TBI
Im wanting to put a after market air cleaner on my 87 k5 with a tbi 350 but im not sure what ill fit on the throttle body or if its the same size as one that will fit on a carb?

rich weyand

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You have the thermostatic air cleaner, right? With a heat pipe up from the manifold and a vacuum door in the snorkel? If you do and you take the thermostatic air cleaner off, you will be sorry. During Denver winters, the truck will run like crap without warm air.

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
You have the thermostatic air cleaner, right? With a heat pipe up from the manifold and a vacuum door in the snorkel? If you do and you take the thermostatic air cleaner off, you will be sorry. During Denver winters, the truck will run like crap without warm air.

My trucks got a 350 with an edelbrock carb and headers, so i can't have the thermostatic air cleaner (No wear for the hot air to come from), so will my truck run like crap like this in the winter?

firebane

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Curtis
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
My trucks got a 350 with an edelbrock carb and headers, so i can't have the thermostatic air cleaner (No wear for the hot air to come from), so will my truck run like crap like this in the winter?

Won't run like crap but it sure ain't gonna run as good as it can. You can make shift something to put the tub for the thermo air cleaner on.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
That cold air well cause a lean condition. That you will see with a A/F meter.

Sent from the dust in front of you!

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
That cold air well cause a lean condition. That you will see with a A/F meter.

So, will this lean condition be lean enough to hurt the engine?
Will it ping/detonate/cause pre-ignition or something?

And, if so, could i just richen it up for the cold months, then run it back the way it should be in warmer weather?

Thanks!

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
My experience... b4 I got to know about engines... detonation can be silent. Couple signs of running lean when it's cold out without auditable sounds.. surging high idle on cold days, and hesitation when stepping on the throttle from a stop. Yea I ruined a couple engines not paying attention to these signs as a noob. Then got smart( just cause it runs good don't mean it isn't running lean) yes you can jet or rod up but what's the point when it's easier to get the setup rich speaks of?

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
My experience... b4 I got to know about engines... detonation can be silent. Couple signs of running lean when it's cold out without auditable sounds.. surging high idle on cold days, and hesitation when stepping on the throttle from a stop. Yea I ruined a couple engines not paying attention to these signs as a noob. Then got smart( just cause it runs good don't mean it isn't running lean) yes you can jet or rod up but what's the point when it's easier to get the setup rich speaks of?

Well, i can't get that setup. I have no manifolds for the heat to come from, i have headers

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Well, i can't get that setup. I have no manifolds for the heat to come from, i have headers

Just stick the hose on it, enough heat from the headers will be pulled in to operate the flap. It doesn't take much heat at all.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Me too I run mine lil more simple same dryer hose, but I run it straight to the middle primary tubes. Cut the house to form the primary tubes do that it extracts air from between the two primary tubes. I'll take pics if need be...

83kid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Oh, i kinda understand, thanks!

So you have an air cleaner that has the snorkel outlet for the hose to go to (Th normal oval/square look ive seen?), then the hose thqt goes on there goes to where? Just hangs down by the headers? Thats where i get lost

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454

So you have an air cleaner that has the snorkel outlet for the hose to go to (Th normal oval/square look ive seen?), then the hose thqt goes on there goes to where? Just hangs down by the headers? Thats where i get lost

Yeah. The stock manifold would have had a stamped sleeve around it that the hose connected too. So it will just hang and gather header heat instead.

I actually never run that hose with headers, it's always been fine for the Ohio winters. It usually doesn't get below the mid-teens, but sub zero does happen and it starts/runs fine. The heated O2 sensor swap did make an improvement though.

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size

Yup straight to the pipes as they exit the head. It gives 80 degree air to the carb. Sure you could run without I'm all in for doing things the way company spent years developing :) and even perfecting it. There will always be someone who has no problems doing without kotos to them :)

350runner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Ceasar
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10
Engine Size
Need pics? It's not the best but it works and does what it needs to