aftermarket gauges?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ingram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
does anyone know if you can install autometer guages in the factory cluster. also would like to know what the difference in full sweep and short sweep gauges are. which ones would a 83 k10 have?

f1shman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Truck Year
Truck Model
Engine Size
Full sweep gauges have a needle that has a wider range of movement. This allows the measurement increments on the gauge to be spaced further apart and makes the gauge (especially small diameter units) much easier to read. The stock gauge package that came in square body trucks from the factory have short sweeps (with the exception of speedometer and tachometer).

You can certainly install aftermarket gauges in the dash, there are a few ways of doing so depending on the look you are going after.

Recessed gauges: http://73-87.com/7387garage/interior/gauges_recessed.htm
Surface mounted: http://73-87.com/7387garage/interior/gauge_surface.htm

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yup, what f1sh said !!! I like full sweep guages myself too. They also usually have a larger scale and have tendancy to be even more accurate. I'd love to find another set of manual Deluxe Full Sweep Stewart Warners again like I had in my 64 GMC. They are high dollar if you find them now.

Mr Clean

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Truck Year
1982 & 1985
Truck Model
K10 Extra Cab w/ Proper SWB, & 85 K5 Blazer
Engine Size
454 BBC, & 383 Stroker
I believe its Covan that make a bezel that looks like the correct bezel, but it is cut for the size after market gauge you want. ie 5" or 3 3/8 for you speedo and tach. One thing that doing a surface mount on a stock bezel is the gauges face down a little. The Covan bezel corrects that problem. You can buy just the bezel from Covan or you can buy it with Auto Meter gauges in it.

Ingram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
exactly the look i was going for. glad to see it could be done with the factory bezel. wasn't looking forward to spending over $200 for an aftermarket one from classic industries. thank you so much for the links and info:roflbow::roflbow::roflbow:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ohiokm