Aftermarket EFI? Anyone Tried It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
First Name
Duane
Truck Year
Truck Model
C1500
Engine Size
Has anyone tried the FI systems from Edelbrock,FAST,ACCEL?Not the high tech high dollar systems but something a little more affordable.Just wondering what worked and was the best bang for your buck.I always wanted to TPI one of these trucks but by the time I buy all the TPI stuff I should be able to get into a new aftermarket system.No?

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
Has anyone tried the FI systems from Edelbrock,FAST,ACCEL?Not the high tech high dollar systems but something a little more affordable.Just wondering what worked and was the best bang for your buck.I always wanted to TPI one of these trucks but by the time I buy all the TPI stuff I should be able to get into a new aftermarket system.No?

You can put a complet TPI system together for around $500 if you are good at skimming Ebay, and digging at the wrecking yard.
As far as aftermarket, Mass-flo EFI is best IMO.

X-cabsquarebody

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Billy
Truck Year
80, 80, 87, 91
Truck Model
C10, C10 ,K30 , 3500
Engine Size
305 TPI, 454, 8.1
Ran Holley Pro-jection system on a C10 and an off-road Jeep for about 10 years. Worked great. No matter what you use, take your time and install it right. Don't get in a hurry. When you cobble fuel injection systems, they will give you trouble. I currently have a TPI 305 in my truck. I get 18 mpg if I keep my foot out of it.

cooter55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Placitas, New Mexico...not really New...not really
First Name
Jack
Truck Year
1973, 1987
Truck Model
C20, R10
Engine Size
454FI, 350
I've installed quite a few Tuned Port and Mini-Ram systems on various SB Chevy motors over the years. If you do your homework, you can put together an entire system for around $1000. The advantage of using the GM parts over the lower cost FI systems is that if you use the proper distributor, you can control the the timing as well as the air/fuel. My other current project is a '55 F**d F100 street rod that I put a TPI 350 in out of a '90 Corvette. The motor and complete FI system, except for a fuel pump, cost me $1000. I know friends that have installed the FAST systems and like them. I may put one on my 454 this year, but it needs a square bore manifold to do it and $'s for toys are limited.

Jims86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10 Suburban Silverado
Engine Size
5.7 TBI
I've installed quite a few Tuned Port and Mini-Ram systems on various SB Chevy motors over the years. If you do your homework, you can put together an entire system for around $1000. The advantage of using the GM parts over the lower cost FI systems is that if you use the proper distributor, you can control the the timing as well as the air/fuel. My other current project is a '55 F**d F100 street rod that I put a TPI 350 in out of a '90 Corvette. The motor and complete FI system, except for a fuel pump, cost me $1000. I know friends that have installed the FAST systems and like them. I may put one on my 454 this year, but it needs a square bore manifold to do it and $'s for toys are limited.

The other goodthing about an OEM Efi system, is theres no chance of par un availabilty in a pinch. Some Aftermarket EFI systems have proprietary tech nology. If you Fry an ECM on an Edelbrock or Accel setup, You are stuck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04