Advice on my 57 chevy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KnockingDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
So I don’t think I’ll ever get to restore this car since I have so many vehicles. I don’t really want to but if I were to sell my 57 belair what would be a decent price to put it up for?

My dad bought it in Wyoming in the late 70s. He resto-modded it (foot print gas pedal too) and drove it a few years. The car has been sitting since (1984) engine turns over. Every few years we pull the plugs, squirt in some oil and turn it by hand. So I know it’ll run.

The car is complete all chrome and badges. 283 and powerglide

As far as suggested price I’d like realistic opinons you won’t hurt my feelings.

You must be registered for see images attach

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Send it out to me, I'll give it a good home....LOL

In all seriousness, it depends completely on the overall condition of the body, floors, and chassis. If it is 100% rust free, it will be much more valuable than if it ran and drove but was rotted beyond repair if that makes sense.

With that said, there is a guy here in PA that buys and sells non-running 55's all the time in similar condition. He lists them usually in the $10K-$12K range and they seem to sell almost immediately.

KnockingDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Send it out to me, I'll give it a good home....LOL

In all seriousness, it depends completely on the overall condition of the body, floors, and chassis. If it is 100% rust free, it will be much more valuable than if it ran and drove but was rotted beyond repair if that makes sense.

With that said, there is a guy here in PA that buys and sells non-running 55's all the time in similar condition. He lists them usually in the $10K-$12K range and they seem to sell almost immediately.
The car car has been in NM since late 70s, any present rust is just surface rust. There’s no rot or panel compromise. Floors trunk and quarters are all good.

Ontheboulder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Truck Year
Truck Model
gmc sierra classic v2500
Engine Size
should be able to get 10-20 thousand out of it without doing a thing

ebodell08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Erik
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Do you have a pressing need to sell it? In my 55 yrs I have sold several vehicles that I wish I had kept. I really did not "have" to sell them but I felt I "needed the room". Seems like you are on the fence. Unless you absolutely have to have it gone maybe find some covered storage and keep it. It will only increase in value as solid 57s are getting hard to find.

Probably not what you wanted to hear but my $0.02 worth. Like I have said before that and about $1 will get you a marginal cup of coffee at the CoOp and much more unsolicited advice.

All that being said, I agree with the others, $15K-$20K, maybe more if you get it running and moving under it's own power.

Strick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Crew
Engine Size
My dream ride is a '55, I don't really care if it's a 150, 210 or Bel-Air. The market is super-crazy right now and they have been way out of reach for me financially. A '57 is next on the list of dream rides. I'd be interested if you narrowed down a price on it. Thanks.

Strickland

Catbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20 Silverado Camper Special
Engine Size
I would spend a week or so cleaning it and making it at least run.
With that small investment, you will get so much more out of it.

If it were mine though, I would keep it as it was your dad's and run the shee-it out of it.

skysurfer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
John
Truck Year
1989 Suburban
Truck Model
V2500
Engine Size
5.7/TH400/NP241C
Looks like the rear wheel-wells have been cut? That's going to take a bite out of the value. Anything can be fixed, but it's something that will come up during the sale. On the plus side, the hardtops are generally considered to be more valuable than sedans (posts) so that's something in your favor.

Captcorvette

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Capt
Truck Year
Truck Model
CK30
Engine Size
@SquareRoot , is that a bid??
I agree on the 10-12 and be more understanding if the buyer is going to restore and save this history on wheels.
Would never sell history to a "flipper" as you would never know what the final result would be.
Just my 2 cents. Hate to see rolling art destroyed.

Midnightmoon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
I agree on the 10-12 and be more understanding if the buyer is going to restore and save this history on wheels.
Would never sell history to a "flipper" as you would never know what the final result would be.
Just my 2 cents. Hate to see rolling art destroyed.
Exactly. The modifications on that car, including the round rear wheel wells are classic 70s Era things. I would honestly hate to see someone reverse those modifications. It would completely eliminate the personality that the OP's father gave it.

If it were me, I'd clean it up, go through the brakes, electrical, etc. to get it safe and reliable, shoot it with a coat of clear to preserve the current patina, and enjoy the heck out if it. I'm telling you, it would be an absolute blast to take to shows here in PA. You just don't see anything like it in this area anymore.

StickyLifter

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Screw You Homophobes
Truck Year
N/A
Truck Model
N/A
Engine Size
N/A
I don't follow prices enough to know what it could be sold for, but I know I wouldn't sell it no matter what the price. Having a cool car my Dad owned (totally impossible with my Dad) would be worth more than money. It sounds like it's sitting in a dry climate so it won't deteriorate. Keep it until the time is right to work on it. If you can't do that sell it to me :).

KnockingDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
TJ
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
we’ll I figure I’d update you all.

Due to circumstances I had to sell the car, I had no sentimental value with this car other than my dad owned it. As far back as I can remember that car sat in that same spot deteriorating. So no “memories” or anything of that nature.

The quarters were cut and rolled and the hood bulge was added.

I do not regret selling it, as it allows me to keep and maintain his 78 C10, 81 C30 and 76 Eldorado Convertible. All of which have near and dear memories to me, from my firs day of kindergarten, my first fishing trip, my first hunt, graduation, etc.

The 78 C10 I would not part with for any money in the world. I drive it daily and my kid now gets dropped off to school with it. To me that is priceless, I damn near cry every time I drop him off.

The 81 C30 pulled our boat or 5th wheel, we always talked about converting it to 4x4 but never did, we did always manage to get it un stuck. I’m in the process of converting it, I use it regularly to tow with. My firs Pronghorn and Elk were taken with truck.

The Eldorado is beautiful and I dumped around $4k into it for his Father’s Day present in 2019. I drove it to Denver last year (1k miles round trip) and we enjoy the car shows And evening summer drives. A/C is ice cold and everything works, even cruise control. 15 mpg highway, in case you were wondering.

So as it goes the 57 was a cool car but in the end the sentimental value of the others far outweighed it. As it is I sold my corvette and Escalade to make room for these.

As for the buyer, he’s elected to keep all the body work and mods, including the centerline wheels. He’s going to redo it exactly as my dad had it in 79/80.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iiixtremeiii