Adjusting rear drums - pulling trailers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
The trailer is a 3/4 ton truck bed, made into a trailer. frame, spring, shackles, box, topper. With a tongue and lights. Here Ill post a pic.
You must be registered for see images attach

The truck i pull with is actually a 1996 F150 with 300 inline 6. It does the pull part of trailering great, but this trailer doesnt have brakes. And the rears of truck are out of adjustment(for sure) and my question is more or less, notwithstanding trailer brakes, is there an adjustment to drum brakes that would help with my purpose? I will primarily only use the truck as backup driving or when pulling something, so adjusting it for pulling weight would be best in my opinion(if there is something to adjust).

I know the proper is a certain thickness away from drum surface while rotating freely(varies, I bet, but similar on most drum brake rear) and thats with no load. If expecting to add a load, could one adjust it in a way to make it better for a trailer?

I guess I should mention there is no ABS at play in this 1996, if that was a concern. Bone stock with things bypassed or removed that dont work. That included the ABS pump in the mid 2000s.
Thanks for posting the additional information. To answer the question about adjusting the rear drums, no you cannot adjust them tighter, that would result in the brakes dragging to much. At the shop all we do is adjust them until the shoes just barely touch the drums, that works just fine.

So one of the issues with a pickup bed and frame turned into a trailer that has not been brought up yet is that the tires are not in the right place. In a trailer that was originally built to be a trailer the rear axle is quite a bit behind the center point of the trailer, this and proper loading helps to put weight on the hitch which reduces swaying, and puts some weight on to the rear of the tow vehicle. With a pickup the axle is more centered, not necessarily dead center, but most are not far enough back. My suggestion next time you use it try to load more weight in the front of the trailer, I think the trailer is pushing the truck for that reason. Also make sure the trailer tongue is level or angles slightly down towards the truck, a tongue that angles up towards the truck will exaggerate the issue.

Hopefully some of this will help.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Yes, the trailer will handle much better with straight frame rails. I have built the both ways, bend the truck frame, this lowers the coupler, and cut off the truck frame and weld on straight rails. Better yet is to lower the trailer by flipping the axle to the top of the springs. Truck bed trailers are carrying the load much higher than the typical utility trailer.

It is bent to an A, which I wont change. But like I said, the F150 has brakes IN NEED OF ADJUSTMENT. Im asking if there is a way to adjust them to be better, since most uses of hte truck will be under load. I am, however, curious how you got electric brakes... do tell?

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
Thanks for posting the additional information. To answer the question about adjusting the rear drums, no you cannot adjust them tighter, that would result in the brakes dragging to much. At the shop all we do is adjust them until the shoes just barely touch the drums, that works just fine.

So one of the issues with a pickup bed and frame turned into a trailer that has not been brought up yet is that the tires are not in the right place. In a trailer that was originally built to be a trailer the rear axle is quite a bit behind the center point of the trailer, this and proper loading helps to put weight on the hitch which reduces swaying, and puts some weight on to the rear of the tow vehicle. With a pickup the axle is more centered, not necessarily dead center, but most are not far enough back. My suggestion next time you use it try to load more weight in the front of the trailer, I think the trailer is pushing the truck for that reason. Also make sure the trailer tongue is level or angles slightly down towards the truck, a tongue that angles up towards the truck will exaggerate the issue.

Hopefully some of this will help.

The tongue actually does have an angle downward. However, weight distribution is not a bad recommendation either. I would sya the load I pulled was relatively even across the bed(it was filled to the brim with household garbage with a topper containing the load).
I can, however, mount weight in the front of the trailer. I could also load weight to the rear of the bed. Currently the weight in the truck was only there for winter traction when I had to go to the store to buy more sand for my plow truck for winter traction. The sand will not be used over summer, but I can place it places to help with weight distribution. I was actually going to mount a truck bed tool box on the tongue of the trailer once I have a permanent jack toward the tongue mounted. The one there was just quick bolt up to give it one. The tool box could hold sand bags for weight(or items I find handy in my uses).

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I'm not sure about the factory brakes on a '96 F-150. That's back before most of the half ton trucks advertised towing capabilities, and they didn't care nearly as much about brakes. What you could do, is get the rear brakes adjusted correctly, then upgrade the front brakes as much as possible. Power Stop is my choice, and aren't that much more expensive than stock replacements.

I added power stop brakes to my wife's Traverse which used to pull a 4k lb pop up camper, and now pulls a 4500lb boat. The difference is night and day from what was on there factory. I just replaced the front brake rotors and pads, no need on the rear (which are disc).

The brakes, in general, seemed to stop fine .It was more or less how the trailer pushed my truck around.
I had an easier time stopping a full size car on a decent sized car trailer. The truck bed trailer really had its way with the rear of my truck(oh my) and it wasnt loaded(ill stop now). Its making me think it was a balance, weight distribution, etc.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
here was my load on the car trailer

Turbo4whl

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Truck Year
Truck Model
Jimmy
Engine Size
It is bent to an A, which I wont change. But like I said, the F150 has brakes IN NEED OF ADJUSTMENT. Im asking if there is a way to adjust them to be better, since most uses of hte truck will be under load. I am, however, curious how you got electric brakes... do tell?

As you may have guessed, I installed trailer axles that were ready to mount trailer electric brakes. The trailer suppliers have ready made axles, but I ordered custom sizes to keep the correct track width and the spring perches in the correct spot. Ordering the custom axle did not cost much more, but you need to wait until they make it.

The truck rear axle in your trailer has a lot more weight than a straight trailer axle. This is what is called unsprung weight. Removing some of the unsprung weight also helps in the trailer handling. The other thing I already stated if you lower the trailer by bolting the axle on top of the springs, the trailer will trail better.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I know for sure Im taking the shafts out... that might help.
Maybe.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btrain04