Adding gauges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
You must be registered for see images attach

I’ve been trying to find a clean way to mount some extra gauges for my diesel k10. I’m adding a pyro, boost, and oil temp. I do not care for the look of the pillar mount that a guy made for these trucks. I also do not want a under dash mount. On dash would be okay but only if it was all in one clean enclosed unit. I stumbled across this article about punching holes in the dash to add them. It looks like the slickest way I’ve seen so far. Now, some of you will uproar about cutting up a dash but mine is cracked to all hell. I’m planning on filling the cracks and shooting it with raptor liner or something. The only other alternative I can think that would be okay is one of those gauge display screens that you see people add in the new diesel trucks. But I think those tap into obd port. If they had an individual input for each sending unit it would work well. Let me know what you guys think.
Thanks
Hunter

1987 GMC Jimmy

Automobile Hoarder
Reaction score
First Name
Jesse
Truck Year
Truck Model
V1500 Jimmy
Engine Size
I tend to agree. To me, under dash looks tacky and pillar mount is dog ugly. I’d probably try to find the worst dash I could just to have zero guilt about operating on it. Worst case scenario, you still get practice with trying to recover one and destroy a junk dash. Best case, you do what you set out to do, and you still have to color matching dash to go back to if you so desire. It doesn’t look bad at all, seems kind of aircraft inspired. If you can see them without it being a huge distraction, then it’s a slam dunk.

Are there any good HUD options out there? I’d think that would be a good way to go in terms of least distraction, easiest to read, most ergonomical. The aforementioned way is gonna be cheaper, and it’s solid as far as looks go.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes they look good but looks like it would be tough to read them from driver's seat.
That’s the only thing I was really concerned about. I didn’t want them to be too distracting but I also don’t want them to be invisible. I was thinking of making a bezel to angle the gauges towards the driver but it wouldn’t work with the chassis punch and probably wouldn’t look very clean.

SquareRoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Dakota Digital. I have the vhx and love them. And yes, you can add modules for whatever sender you want. All displayed in beautiful modern LED, classic style bezels. Cheap? Nope. Awesome? Yep

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Dakota Digital. I have the vhx and love them. And yes, you can add modules for whatever sender you want. All displayed in beautiful modern LED, classic style bezels. Cheap? Nope. Awesome? Yep
I would love to do DD but since I won’t be getting a stimulus check that won’t be happening any time soon. That’s good to know though that you can add modules.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Looks like GlowShift also makes a pillar pod now. Last time I was shopping around the guy from 73-87chevytrucks.com was the only one that made them. I can’t find anyone that has installed the GS unit though. I’m curious of the gauge angle relative to the driver and to see if it is a bulky as the other pillar is. Nice that this one replaces the original pillar plastic instead of having to modify it. Makes it a lot easier to reverse. At $55 I may bight the bullet and try it. Let me know what you think. https://www.glowshiftdirect.com/black-triple-pillar-gauge-pod-for-1973-1987-chevrolet-c-10/

chappy78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chappy78
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I couldn't find a good solution, either. I ended up going with under-dash for my vacuum gauge, thermometer, and clock. It's not awful but it's not ideal either. They are unobtrusive and easy to see but I don't like the exposed gauge backs and wiring. I had contemplated an all digital dash using one of the Holley race pak screens but I prefer the look of black and white analog gauges.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I couldn't find a good solution, either. I ended up going with under-dash for my vacuum gauge, thermometer, and clock. It's not awful but it's not ideal either. They are unobtrusive and easy to see but I don't like the exposed gauge backs and wiring. I had contemplated an all digital dash using one of the Holley race pak screens but I prefer the look of black and white analog gauges.

That is a beautiful dash! May I ask where you sourced the blank bezel? I may have to do something like that. That will make it easier for me to be okay with cutting for a DIN radio. And my issue with mounting aux switches will be solved!

chappy78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chappy78
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That is a beautiful dash! May I ask where you sourced the blank bezel? I may have to do something like that. That will make it easier for me to be okay with cutting for a DIN radio. And my issue with mounting aux switches will be solved!

Yes, I sourced it from Classic Dash. They also sell complete packages with gauges but I wanted VDO gauges which they don't offer.

https://classicdash.com/product/1973-83-chevy-gmc-truck-complete-3-3-8″-and-2-1-16″-panel/

I just finished installing a DIN stereo in mine. You can read about it on the third page of my build thread here.

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/thread...uild-and-l31r-vortec-engine-swap.27832/page-3

77 K20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20 5" lift
Engine Size
HT383 fuel injected
Do you have AC on the truck? If you don't have dash vents the little cubby hole on the top right can be used to mount 2 gauges anyway.

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
That is one spendy piece of plastic there! It would be cool to do but just not gonna be in the budget. By the time I bought the bezel and all the gauges I’d be in the same price as Dakota Digital gauges which have more functionality than VDO units. I’ll keep on the hunt!

My truck is non AC but I’m looking at adding a Vintage Air unit in the future. Also I am making a block off plate to go in that area for AUX switches.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350

Id be nervous with a mechanical oil pressure gauge in that location with it in line with the foot for the accelerator. Id move the oil pressure to the right-most-pod, personally. Or electric.

Also, must I say, I LOVE your truck. baby blue is my favorite color and my dad had a 75 dodge that was that color inside and out. Please send pics of your ride.

chappy78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chappy78
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Id be nervous with a mechanical oil pressure gauge in that location with it in line with the foot for the accelerator. Id move the oil pressure to the right-most-pod, personally. Or electric.

Also, must I say, I LOVE your truck. baby blue is my favorite color and my dad had a 75 dodge that was that color inside and out. Please send pics of your ride.

It’s a vacuum gauge. The oil pressure gauge is in the main dash panel and it’s electric. The vacuum gauge tube has nothing except negative pressure air in it and if it should come undone nothing would happen except a small vacuum leak.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
It’s a vacuum gauge. The oil pressure gauge is in the main dash panel and it’s electric. The vacuum gauge tube has nothing except negative pressure air in it and if it should come undone nothing would happen except a small vacuum leak.
Oh okay youre on top of things, nice. Still would like tosee that truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
85sqbod