Adding gauges

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chappy78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chappy78
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That is one spendy piece of plastic there! It would be cool to do but just not gonna be in the budget. By the time I bought the bezel and all the gauges I’d be in the same price as Dakota Digital gauges which have more functionality than VDO units. I’ll keep on the hunt!

My truck is non AC but I’m looking at adding a Vintage Air unit in the future. Also I am making a block off plate to go in that area for AUX switches.

I'll also add a Vintage air unit in the future which is why I put the switches there and not any gauges. Switches will be easy to move. Those Vintage air units are $pendy!

You're probably right about the cost of the gauges. I was patient and was able to buy all the gauges on sale and I think I am ahead of the cost of the Dakota panel but it's probably close. However, I liked choosing all the components and putting it together with a little creativity so it's unique - I haven't seen any dashes like mine.

chappy78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chappy78
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Last edited:

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Thanks for the compliment! There's lots of pics on my build thread. The color Hawaiian Blue, RPO code 23.

https://www.gmsquarebody.com/threads/1978-chevrolet-k20-build-and-l31r-vortec-engine-swap.27832/

Here's a couple.

You must be registered for see images attach

Is that originally a PNW truck? Because mine is, and even though it is in good shape for a pnw truck, it has some rot. Yours looks like it has virtually none!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chappy78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chappy78
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Is that originally a PNW truck? Because mine is, and even though it is in good shape for a pnw truck, it has some rot. Yours looks like it has virtually none!

Yes, as far as I know it's always been in the PNW. It was originally purchased from Brooks Biddle Chevrolet in Bothell, WA and only had three owners before me. It definitely has some rot but it's not bad. The passenger inner fender is wasted under the battery tray and both front fenders have rot in the area just aft of the front wheel wells. The doors have some cancer, too. I have all new (made in Taiwan) inner and outer fenders and doors in boxes in the garage waiting for me to prep and paint them. I am a little burned out on working on this truck after 6 months of work doing the suspension, fuel injection conversion, drivetrain overhaul, engine swap, and interior overhaul but I'll probably start on the body work in the next month or two. (It's a sickness.)

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
Yes, as far as I know it's always been in the PNW. It was originally purchased from Brooks Biddle Chevrolet in Bothell, WA and only had three owners before me. It definitely has some rot but it's not bad. The passenger inner fender is wasted under the battery tray and both front fenders have rot in the area just aft of the front wheel wells. The doors have some cancer, too. I have all new (made in Taiwan) inner and outer fenders and doors in boxes in the garage waiting for me to prep and paint them. I am a little burned out on working on this truck after 6 months of work doing the suspension, fuel injection conversion, drivetrain overhaul, engine swap, and interior overhaul but I'll probably start on the body work in the next month or two. (It's a sickness.)
Mine has rot in all the same places. Nothing crazy by any means though. Only big issue is the bottom of the passenger door is completely rotted out from mice living in it. Same with the latch area of the hood. I’m just about done with my engine so I’m trying to make all my other decisions now, such as gauges, running gear, and interior.

chappy78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
chappy78
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
Mine has rot in all the same places. Nothing crazy by any means though. Only big issue is the bottom of the passenger door is completely rotted out from mice living in it. Same with the latch area of the hood. I’m just about done with my engine so I’m trying to make all my other decisions now, such as gauges, running gear, and interior.

I hear you. Reach out if I can offer any help.

What engine are you putting in?

hunters628

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Hunter
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
I hear you. Reach out if I can offer any help.

What engine are you putting in?
Once this social distancing bs is over I’ll have to look you up on one of my trips to Seattle. I just buttoned up a 6.2. Ive fully bare block rebuilt it and I’m cleaning all the accessories and brackets to go on now. Waiting on pay day to roll around to get a oil cooler and new oil lines. Truck was originally a 305. Please look past the nasty garage. Been a while since cleaning. I’m working lots of overtime.
82 k10 “shorty” revival
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...”-revival.27685/&share_type=t&link_source=app

Reaction score
First Name
dennis
Truck Year
Truck Model
k5
Engine Size
back in the day, used hardware cloth and bondo to make gauge pods. form a rounded hump on top of the dash so you can see em. same technique works for kick panels and speaker pods.

Kryptonitekid

Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Truck Year
Truck Model
CK20
Engine Size
I put these in my non-AC K20 15 years ago. You can see them but they do take more than a glance. Only problem is reflection off the back window at night. However, my intent was to eventually make an angled mount so the would all face towards me at a slight angle. I used a hole saw. Probably would not do it so crudely now, but I do like having the gauges.

AuroraGirl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Taylor
Truck Year
1978, 1980
Truck Model
K10, K25
Engine Size
400(?), 350
I put these in my non-AC K20 15 years ago. You can see them but they do take more than a glance. Only problem is reflection off the back window at night. However, my intent was to eventually make an angled mount so the would all face towards me at a slight angle. I used a hole saw. Probably would not do it so crudely now, but I do like having the gauges.
why you have two levers on transfer case? Im intrigued

5akman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Lance
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
That’s the only thing I was really concerned about. I didn’t want them to be too distracting but I also don’t want them to be invisible. I was thinking of making a bezel to angle the gauges towards the driver but it wouldn’t work with the chassis punch and probably wouldn’t look very clean.

they make angled gauge bezels. Back in my hot boat days, you'd end up with a single row of gauges, 3' long across the boat dash. Even with the angled bezels they were tough to read on the water.

https://www.cpperformance.com/p-152-angled-billet-aluminum-gauge-bezels.aspx

BEARS208

Reaction score
First Name
Creed
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10 short wide
Engine Size
350/350
I just bit the bullet and made my own cluster. I like the clean Factory location. Cheap No, But We're worth it. :)

clendon1

Reaction score
First Name
Butch
Truck Year
Truck Model
c10 stepside
Engine Size
468 BB
You can buy the gauge adapters that allow about 30 degrees ? Angle on the gauges, I used them in my Nova with the gauges cut into the dash, worked great.

Memaloose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Truck Year
Truck Model
K20
Engine Size
I too, hate to cut up a dash and all my original gauges are operational but I wanted a volt meter and an accurate oil pressure gauge that I can trust. I would have liked to add a temp gauge as well but only two fit but that's ok. I cut the back out and I can epoxy it back in later, if I want. In my '81 Custom Deluxe, I mounted 2 1/16" gauges in the dash panel where there were blanks or idiot lamps, it turned out very well.
Good luck! This '75 Scottsdale has all 4 gauges. I'm trying to keep it as original as possible. I was surprised the factory oil pressure gauge is mechanical.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshuOne