Add-a-leafs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ingram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Has anyone ever installed the 2" add-a-leaf springs to their factory springs front and back for a two inch lift. or heard of anyone who has. looking at adding 33's and wanted to know if i could us them as a cheaper lift, just to make sure there is no scrubbing

elsurfo10

Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Truck Year
Truck Model
k20
Engine Size
383 Stroker
i went tho throw em in the back but my spring pack cracked so i hade to buy all new springs. itll make your springs super stiff too

Ingram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
i've read that the long ones are suppost to keep it fairly smooth compared to the short ones. just curious if it would be worth it or not.

Swims350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Truck Year
Truck Model
K10
Engine Size
none
dude you should clear 33's stock. we did on our 86 k10. stock rallys and 33x12.50's

I too had considered running the add a leafs front and rear, but here's another option for you...

zero rates, oru or ord makes em, they are a 1 inch block that bolts to the spring pack, legal for use front and rear, basically it's a really short add a leaf but no stiffer ride.

OR, I hear the 99 or so trucks have a factory rear block, and I'm thinking it's bolted to the spring pack as well, if so it's legal for use front and rear since it won't kick out, and it's like 2 inches.

Beatdown Z

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Chris said, zer0-rates are a great option for that extra one inch of lift. There's also another plus side to zero-rates. You can use them to move the axle 1/1.5" forwards or back. So if you add the one inch of lift and say you still rub the rear of the front fenders, then you could use the zero-rate to move the axle forward so you no longer rub.

Another thing you could do to add more lift in the front of your truck, is buy or make some longer shackles. Stock shackles are 4" and a set of 6" shackles would net you one inch of lift. My math isn't wrong either, lol. You're only lowering one end of the leaf spring therefore you only achieve half the amount lowered.

Hope I didn't make that too complicated...

Ingram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
What about u bolts for the zero rates

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
OR, I hear the 99 or so trucks have a factory rear block, and I'm thinking it's bolted to the spring pack as well, if so it's legal for use front and rear since it won't kick out, and it's like 2 inches.

Most newer 4x4 trucks have factory blocks in the rear. Ford and Dodge commonly have 4 inch blocks even, but none of them bolt to the spring pack.

Also, while zero rates are technically safe, I'll never use them in the front. They still add leverage to the spring like a regular block.

And in closing (lol), 33's do clear stock. The MOST you will need to do is trim a tiny bit of the fender, behind the front wheel. The part of the fender that curves under. Mine has original sagged springs and the fenders only needed one little snip.

You must be registered for see images attach

Ingram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
do you happen to have a pic of where you trimmed the fender. unless i do the add a leaf they may scrub as you described. i also have the factory sag. thanks for the info on the block. i had an 02 z71 that i replaced the factory 2'' block with a 3'', so i have a set of them laying around.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
I don't have a pic of where it was trimmed, it is very minor though. If that's your truck in your sig, I don't think your springs are sagged. It actually looks a tad high in the front to me.

Ingram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
really. thats good news. figured they were saggin because of the age of the springs. bought it from the original owner. all of the suspension and steering components are factory.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
Yeah K-10 springs are negative arch, I thought the same thing when I got mine many moons ago!

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
Yeah K-10 springs are negative arch, I thought the same thing when I got mine many moons ago!

Are K20's negative arch too? Wondering if I found some stock OEM K20 front springs if I could use them on the front of one of my K10's for a little lift.

Ingram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Are K20's negative arch too? Wondering if I found some stock OEM K20 front springs if I could use them on the front of one of my K10's for a little lift.

love to know that myself

Last edited by a moderator:

HotRodPC

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
HotRod
Truck Year
85 K20 LWB
Truck Model
Silverado
Engine Size
454 - Turbo 400 - 3.73
love to know that myself

Maybe, just maybe, our FoBuhFo Guru C4 will know. It would be nice if they are zero arch, or maybe a little positive arch, for 1-2 inch lift and even though I don't care for blocks, a 1 or 2 inch block in the rear can gain a little lift.

BTW, not trying to hijack the add a leaf topic here, jus trying to keep the low lifts options in one place here.

crazy4offroad

Equal Opportunity Destroyer
Reaction score
First Name
Curt
Truck Year
Truck Model
K-10
Engine Size
350/SM465/NP205
I think they are. If not, they are really flat. With the 16.5" wheels, a little bigger tires than the K10, in some cases bigger engine and in some applications like snow plows they would need stiffer front springs but even then I'm pretty sure they're not positive-arched springs. A buddy of mine that lives near my mom has a stock K20 next time I'm up that way I'll check to be sure.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jodygraham64