A little about my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bucket

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Truck Year
'77, '78, '79, '84, '88
Truck Model
K5 thru K30
Engine Size
350-454
Howdy!
I agree, the full floater would be a good idea.

Upgrading to a 14 FF is a good idea. You might even find one with a locker. Stay away from the Gov lock if you can, and honestly I don't know if they
ever equipped a 14 FF with the weak Gov lock. Anyway, stay away from hill and a good driver with tires, weight and a locker can do amazing work.

There were a lot of 14ff's with the GovLoc and they may even still use them now? I recently replaced the 14ff in a friend's '05 2500 HD because the GovLoc had failed. In that case, it was user error though... the diff cover rotted out and he kept running it with hardly any fluid in it. While they do fail on their own, they hold up better than in all the smaller SF axles.

1973c10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Truck Year
Truck Model
C10
Engine Size
Welcome :boti:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Truck Year
1977/1990/1991
Truck Model
C10 longbed/R1500 Burb/R3500 Dually
Engine Size
350/350/454
:welcome:

Frankenchevy

Proverbs 16:18
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Truck Year
Square
Truck Model
CUCV
Engine Size
Small
I have a g80 in my 14ff. Works fine. I think I’ve decided on Eaton trutracs when I regear.

SirRobyn0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Truck Year
Truck Model
C20
Engine Size
Upgrading to a 14 FF is a good idea. You might even find one with a locker. Stay away from the Gov lock if you can, and honestly I don't know if they
ever equipped a 14 FF with the weak Gov lock. Anyway, stay away from hill and a good driver with tires, weight and a locker can do amazing work.

Howdy!
I agree, the full floater would be a good idea.

There were a lot of 14ff's with the GovLoc and they may even still use them now? I recently replaced the 14ff in a friend's '05 2500 HD because the GovLoc had failed. In that case, it was user error though... the diff cover rotted out and he kept running it with hardly any fluid in it. While they do fail on their own, they hold up better than in all the smaller SF axles.

I've had a few 2wd trucks in my life over the years, the only 4X4 I've ever owned is the Jeep. And yes I feel spoiled when I drive the Jeep in the snow. We do live where we get snow, we definitely have hills and I've had all the 2WDs though snow storms. Studded tires on the drive wheels, chains behind the seat in case it gets really bad. I know I don't like chains either, but I like getting home more than I dislike chaining up. A little weight in the bed helps a lot too, but more often than not I end up empty in the snow. I've had a few lockers too. One in Toyota and one in a 72 C30, the C30 was not mine and the one thing I did not like about the C30 was when the locker locked, there was a definite feel, almost a clunk, and if that thing engaged while you were moving it was a guarantee of breaking both rear tires loose if you didn't get off the throttle right away. It was not my truck, and I never got to investigate what the problem was. Definitely will help get you going on slick surfaces. Yea, I think I'd like to have a locker when I swap to FF. Don't think that will happen before this winter is over though.

shiftpro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
shiftpro
Truck Year
73-87
Truck Model
1500, 2500, 3500
Engine Size
350, 383, 454, 496!
I've had a few 2wd trucks in my life over the years, the only 4X4 I've ever owned is the Jeep. And yes I feel spoiled when I drive the Jeep in the snow. We do live where we get snow, we definitely have hills and I've had all the 2WDs though snow storms. Studded tires on the drive wheels, chains behind the seat in case it gets really bad. I know I don't like chains either, but I like getting home more than I dislike chaining up. A little weight in the bed helps a lot too, but more often than not I end up empty in the snow. I've had a few lockers too. One in Toyota and one in a 72 C30, the C30 was not mine and the one thing I did not like about the C30 was when the locker locked, there was a definite feel, almost a clunk, and if that thing engaged while you were moving it was a guarantee of breaking both rear tires loose if you didn't get off the throttle right away. It was not my truck, and I never got to investigate what the problem was. Definitely will help get you going on slick surfaces. Yea, I think I'd like to have a locker when I swap to FF. Don't think that will happen before this winter is over though.
That sounds just like the Gov Lock we were talking about. It's centrifugally activated...

Preston

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First Name
Preston
Truck Year
Truck Model
k10
Engine Size
Welcome to GMSB from Virginia

WFO

Full Access Member